Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Wrapping - good idea?

PeteTP

21 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

I don't think they are comparable though - a wrap is reversible. Resprays are covering up accident damage in the eyes of the motor trade when selling your vehicle. 🤣

Another excellent point to add to the equation.

I dont like wraps as they tend to make a car look cheap with matt black as absolute pinnacle of bad taste. I would never pay 2/3000 euro for that. I tried to find prices for a total respray and its not far off. In my idea paint is always better than vynil.

By the way carwrapping started in Germany in the taxi world many years ago. Taxis have to be ivory ( elfenbein) in color so cabdrivers had no other choice than to order a taxi special from mercedes ( stronger seats, springs, taximeter and radio installed ivory painted etc). selling the car was always complicated because of the color. I think it was 3M that came with an ivory wrap for the taximarket and the rest is history.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dutchie01 said:

I dont like wraps as they tend to make a car look cheap with matt black as absolute pinnacle of bad taste. I would never pay 2/3000 euro for that. I tried to find prices for a total respray and its not far off. In my idea paint is always better than vynil.

By the way carwrapping started in Germany in the taxi world many years ago. Taxis have to be ivory ( elfenbein) in color so cabdrivers had no other choice than to order a taxi special from mercedes ( stronger seats, springs, taximeter and radio installed ivory painted etc). selling the car was always complicated because of the color. I think it was 3M that came with an ivory wrap for the taximarket and the rest is history.

In the words of ‘Auntie’, “other wraps are available”. But I do agree that there are some monstrosities of bad taste about.

My wrap would be impossible to see as it would be clear (like kitchen cling film) and colourless. I have no intention of disfiguring or diminishing the look of my cherished steed. All that said my mind is still not made up.

Dithering, procrastination and stalling? Yes, I think that’s a fair comment!

PeteTP

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PeteTP said:

My wrap would be impossible to see as it would be clear (like kitchen cling film) and colourless. I have no intention of disfiguring or diminishing the look of my cherished steed. All that said my mind is still not made up.

Dithering, procrastination and stalling? Yes, I think that’s a fair comment!

PeteTP

Ah, you are looking for a PPF.

Certainly the best way to protect your paint but there is a lot of the cost is in the prep. and so the best time to apply one is straight from the factory.

To me I find the cost of a PPF too much, I'd rather polish and wax the car every 6 months. I certainly wouldn't get a full PPF unless it was a very expensive car/paint job. Have you considered just getting the front end done?

• Like 1

TVM ColinBarber - I’m considering everything including not doing it at all!!!! It’s an interesting if not eye-wateringly expensive proposition - in whole or in part.

PeteTP

For those that still have some interest in this thread……

Ive got some figures for a full PPF COLOURLESS protection film and TBH they are sooo huge they’re just nothing more than a concept.

That slipped me down the thoughts snake to square one. That’s where I know introduce another alternative of which I have no experience. I refer to nano ceramic coating. Can any of you wish gurus out there provide the argument(s) for and against this route when compared to PPF or just not spending large amounts on the paintwork? Many thanks in anticipation.

PeteTP

• 1 month later...
On 7/3/2022 at 11:41 AM, PeteTP said:

Ive got some figures for a full PPF COLOURLESS protection film and TBH they are sooo huge they’re just nothing more than a concept.

That slipped me down the thoughts snake to square one. That’s where I know introduce another alternative of which I have no experience. I refer to nano ceramic coating. Can any of you wish gurus out there provide the argument(s) for and against this route when compared to PPF or just not spending large amounts on the paintwork? Many thanks in anticipation.

PeteTP

Just wondered if you were still procrastinating, Pete?  Or had you arrived at a firm decision to do nothing at all for the moment?  😊

You refer to ‘nano ceramic’ coating. As far as I can gather, this is what’s more commonly known as ‘ceramic coating’!  I can’t find any convincing evidence that this is anything more than a marketing description of the SiO2 molecule.  The size of a molecule is surely determined by the size of its elements, literally, so I don’t see how you can get a nano version.

But then I’m no physicist!

But as I think has already been established here, there is a general approval of a well-applied ceramic finish on a well-prepared surface.  Certainly I have no regrets and regard it as one of my more intelligent investments in the field of automotive pimping.

In fact, elsewhere on this site, there’s been a conversation as to how well ceramic coatings have protected car finishes in a time of hosepipe bans.

Just wondered if you were still procrastinating, Pete?  Or had you arrived at a firm decision to do nothing at all for the moment?  😊

Hello there LenT. It’s the latter for now. But it’s impossible to foresee when I might do a U-turn!!

PeteTP

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2022 at 12:41 PM, PeteTP said:

PeteTP

As an advocate of ceramic coating I would certainly recommend it, though as with most things getting the prep done is the tough part.  Took me a good 8hrs prep before I was willing to apply ceramic coating then probably another 8hrs getting it on.  It 100% makes cleaning the car easier and the gloss finish is unbeatable.

One thing to consider is that PPF and Ceramic coating do different things, don’t expect ceramic coating to stop chips etc.  Its a hard surface so will help with mild swirl marks etc but can’t compare to PPF for creating a physical barrier between paint and objects!  

I’ve had quotes of £1500 to PPF a front end and double that for entire car. Ceramic coating can be done yourself for perhaps £50-100 or £500 be a pro.

Marcus

Interesting read guys, recently brought my RC300h and loving the paint work, have also been looking at the PPF option and as an idea a local company has quoted £1400 + VAT for the front end (Bonnet, bumper, wings, mirrors, headlights and A pillers) plus an extra £200 for the doors on top of that they require the car for 7 days to do the work.

2 minutes ago, Littorio said:

Interesting read guys, recently brought my RC300h and loving the paint work, have also been looking at the PPF option and as an idea a local company has quoted £1400 + VAT for the front end (Bonnet, bumper, wings, mirrors, headlights and A pillers) plus an extra £200 for the doors on top of that they require the car for 7 days to do the work.

Do you expect to keep the car for many years because you won't see any of that money come sale/trade-in time

On 9/10/2022 at 11:18 AM, NemesisUK said:

Do you expect to keep the car for many years because you won't see any of that money come sale/trade-in time

Well plan to keep it at least 5 years but will look at the ceramic coating option as well. Gave it it's first wash yesterday and noticed it already has a few stone chips and a couple of small scratches so a bit late for the PPF I think.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links