Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Parts sourcing for Rx300 2002 AWD in need of multiple repairs

Hi Folks,

I have a 2002 RX 300 AWD. she has been a great companion for many years now. i have been getting her serviced regularly. the engine and trans is great, but recently things have started to go wrong one after the other.

The front and rear passenger shock absorber needs replacement. my current mechanic has given me a ~500£ per absorber (part and labour) quote, each part costing around 300£.

Any ideas where i can buy these for less?

also, might add any good Toyota/Lexus garages in and around Edinburgh if someone could recommend, that would be much appreciated!...as i also have the infamous ABS activation (on low speed) problem, which my current mechanic has been unable to resolve.

many thanks

Sama

$_86 (3).jpeg

My honest advice (which you probably won't like) is that unless you have the skills to work on the car yourself you are probably throwing good money after bad in a car of this age.

Yes it's crazy but that is the simple economics of running a car in the UK.

Thanks Andrew. 

Its crazy indeed in UK. I can see there is plenty of life left in my RX, but the cost of repairs discourages maintaining an old car in this modern era.

appreciate your advice.

Hi Saad, sorry to hear of the hassles, unfortunately they need a bit of TLC as time marches on!

I noticed my old gen1 2002 (same colour as yours in fact) has a bit of fluid around the drivers side rear shock so figured a set of rears were on the horizon.  Just so as you know, it's good mechanical practice to replace shocks on the same axle in pairs (ie both front or both rears) in case you leave the vehicle unbalanced left/right. 

Just out of interest I priced up a full set of all four with Autodoc and they were very reasonable at around £60-80 a corner for Monroe/KYB/Bilstein.  Obviously top mounts and various bushes will be on top of that but I didn't think it was too bad.  There seems to be cheaper units too but I thought sticking with a known brand name would be sensible.

If your mechanic is happy to fit supplied parts it might save a few quid.

Well you have to remember your car was expensive to start with and at some point Lexus had to order some new parts which with inflation would now cost more and all the time parts are on the shelf it is money tied up.  There comes a time when gradually demand for the parts falls away so a manufacturer begins to drop parts which are comparatively rarely asked for.  Of course a mechanic doing work now is going to charge the same for fitting parts to an old or very old car.  The cumulative cost is therefore very high.  Also a search may have to be made for used parts where new parts are no longer available or considered too expensive. 

Sad when you are forced to pay up or dispose of at best but 20 years is a pretty long life for a car.  My granddaughter has a small 2001 Ford which was a cheap car to start with and they were so common that when she needed a replacement tailgate last year a breaker gave her the choice of 4. 

....  and I'm reading on here of RX300 elderly cars are quite prone to terminal rust too ............  BUT if that's not an issue then replacing worn out bits and bobs after 20 years cannot be a bad thing to do to achieve another decade or so of incredibly cheap luxury motoring .....  that's how i would play this game ...  if rust isn't going to be a short term killer for you

Malc

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links