Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

In search of 3D orientation...

Lexicologist

Hi all - I've just taken charge of a 2019 CT200h - and this is my first post to the forum. Finding my way around the navigation system is err testing, not least reorientating the map to 3D. As per the nav handbook, I've found Compass and headed up the left side of the screen to toggle the N icon - but this allows me only to switch between North Up and the direction of travel alternative. Doesn't seem to be a third (3D) option, despite what the handbook promises. Any suggestions? The car has a premium pack, but perhaps i have a lesser version of the system? Any help much appreciated.

Welcome to the forum.

Lexus make great hardware and I am sure you will be happy with your car. Navigation is like you mention not exactly perfect. Your smartphone will have a much better navigation system. No matter if you have the premium pack. If you also have the Mark Levinson audio system you have one of the best places to listen to music. We have maybe all the options, but navigation system sucks.

Lexus software user friendliness is not up to date. They either have had it made to Japanese road system or given up trying to make it to anything; here you have to tell the navigation where you are: first country, then city, then postal code etc., etc. till you get tired and find your smartphone and get the direction immediately. The map on the screen is good though, showing you where you are and when listening to music it can tell you a lot of things about what you are hearing.

Somebody else may be a little more positive with regard to the navigation system in our cars, but using the mouse like pad to navigate in the software takes some time getting used to and I find it will never be really easy and user friendly.

Enjoy the car, we are happy with the one we have.

• Like 1

Thanks Las Palmas - for the welcome, and the reply; strangely comforting to know i'm not the only one who finds the system in general a struggle. I had to resort to the Iphone when the nav on my last car (a jag) could no longer get updates - and thought i'd moved on!

Meanwhile, be glad to hear if anyone has advice on the specific question - if i simply don't have the 3D facility available, that's one thing (if annoying) - the thought that I can't find a solution that is just a couple of clicks away is  - as ever - infuriating...

I think John accurately reflects the general opinion of the clunky Lexus satnav system.  Why a company that can outsource its audio system to Mark Levinson, can’t go to the likes of, say, Garmin, for its satnav, is a puzzle.

I’m sure you’ll find every other aspect of your Lexus very rewarding to own and use.  But it may need an owner of a CT200h to answer your specific question - or Lexus dealer.

One other thought if you haven’t yet tried it.  If you go to lexus.co.uk and register with My Lexus, you can direct specific questions to Lexus direct.  Sometimes, unfortunately, they just recommend that you consult a Dealer!  But My Lexus can be a useful source in many cases.

10 hours ago, Lexicologist said:

The car has a premium pack, but perhaps i have a lesser version of the system? Any help much appreciated.

I think it is only the tech pack or Takumi pack that get the premium nav system, so maybe that is the reason. Do you have a 7" or 10" display?

1 hour ago, ColinBarber said:

I think it is only the tech pack or Takumi pack that get the premium nav system, so maybe that is the reason. Do you have a 7" or 10" display?

Fraser. Just tried mine, Premium Nav with the Tech Pack and 10" screen. I have three options when pressing the Compass: North; 2D direction and 3D direction. If you only have two options it does suggest you may not have the premium Nav system. Do you have the 10" screen?

thanks all for your help, much appreciated. I only have the 7" screen, so as Colin and Moleman suggest, that may indicate i have a lesser version. That said I'll give Peter's suggestion about zooming-in a try, and if that fails, follow up LenT's idea of consulting My Lexus - and report my findings!