Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

satnav sd card fail (and replacement)

Smiff

Hi all - newbie to the site and only found it after googling for information so apologies if my question is already answered (but I promise I already tried search!)

The satnav on my ct200 is no longer selectable via the central dial and Lexus have just told me the sd card has failed and I need a new one (at a cost of over £400 to fit it!)

This sounds really expensive to me, anyone else had this issue and found a way around it? The car is less than 4 years old and I've had it since new so nothing's been mistreated.

TIA

eBay is your friend.

UK sellers normally have the micro SD-card for less than 50£.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=lexus+navigation+micro+sd-card&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_odkw=lexus+ct200h+nav.+micro+sd-card&_osacat=0

That is where I will get the next also.

Lexus have stupid prices.

Anyway the navigations system will still be the same only if new roads have come there will be a reason to replace it.

Thanks for suggestions - here's a dumb question though, how do i swap the sd card?! (my old Renault Zoe had card slot in the dash board so when Renault gave me a free(!) replacement I could just swap it)

nav.thumb.jpg.1087e89982a05feef5ebcdf6563f6be5.jpg

Press where the red arrow is and the slot for the micro SD-card is there.

But as previously mentioned. The navigation in smartphones is superior to the navigation system Lexus has put in our cars. Why they cannot ask Garmin to help is hard to understand. Money - money - money.

• Like 1

That could be a reason for Lexus to claim such a horrible price. Then it is not just to change a micro-SD-card. Do not know where the navigation system memory is then. Maybe somebody else having a car like yours can tell more. I thought that after the facelift all navigation system were the same.

Use a smartphone for navigation. Always updated for free plus functions a lot better. I will update when 2023 map is available but that is only 20 - 40€ on either eBay or Satnavishop. Just to have the latest road changes. Do not really need navigation system or map here on the little island where we live. Have been most places on mountain bike so know the island very well

image.thumb.png.f785a1675fbe1c0ea306c3a5785d3b71.png

But your car is less than 4 years old so it should be something Lexus should do either free or at least cheaper.

Hi, the new sat nav files are, I’m sure, loaded using the USB port and may be available online...strange how the system could have become corrupted. Hope you get it sorted soon with not too much expense.

• 3 weeks later...

Honestly the built in nav is so crap, not even worth spending 50p never mind £50 to get it working, but up to you of course.

I use Waze on my phone with one of those magnet things in the heater vent which attaches to mag-safe on back of phone. Rests nicely on the dash and looks neat enough. works great for nav, Bluetooth for internet radio, spotify etc.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, northernstar said:

Honestly the built in nav is so crap, not even worth spending 50p never mind £50 to get it working, but up to you of course.

Sad, but true.

Why a company that goes to Mark Levinson for its audio system can’t go , as has been mentioned, to the likes of Garmin for its satnav is a puzzle.  

On 7/2/2022 at 11:07 PM, Las Palmas said:

But your car is less than 4 years old so it should be something Lexus should do either free or at least cheaper.

This seems a fair point.  After all, the car may be four years old but the actual usage of the satnav in that time may be just a few hours!

If the Lexus dealer has now conceded that the sd card has failed, you could argue that that is an unacceptable time-to-failure and it suggests it was inherently faulty.  So replacing it is their responsibility.  

I also wonder what your satnav Manual has to say about sd card location?

• 5 months later...

Hi. Whilst I can't answer youre question directly I did have the same problem with my RX. I did a search on Google or Youtube and found a video showing exactly where it was ( I would never have found it otherwise). So the addage that 'Mr Google knows everything' was at least true in this case!

Hope this helps

Bri