Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hello everyone!

Stanwithaplan

Glad to join your forum, looking forward to learning all the secrets:o)

I previously owned an LS400 in the UK, for around 5 or 6 years which I sold in 2005. A year ago I bought another LS400 (1999) in Dubai "The Golden Goddess."  Both of my kids, my wife and I are loving driving her, I don't have to tell you how much pleasure it is to restore and waft in a 400:o) Back in the UK I am in the process of selling my BMW M2 Competition and I want to buy another Lexus LS. I was going to go for a 600H but its just dawned on me, you cant leave a hybrid sitting on your drive for a couple of months at a time without killing your batteries doh! So I'm back to the drawing board, I'm thinking a LS460 is at the top of my list.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stanwithaplan said:

I was going to go for a 600H but its just dawned on me, you cant leave a hybrid sitting on your drive for a couple of months at a time without killing your batteries doh!

It's only the 12V Battery that has a problem with being left. I remember reading that the high voltage traction Battery should (but I do emphasize should) be alright for up to about 6 months. I'll post the article if I can find it again.

Could you not leave a trickle charger connected to the 12V Battery while you're away?

• Like 1

wow! Thanks Herbie. I hope you are right and I can go back to Plan A:O) I do have a trickle charger but car has to be left on drive, so its sub-optimal I guess. I'd welcome reading that article if you can find it please.

On 7/5/2022 at 12:07 AM, Stanwithaplan said:

wow! Thanks Herbie. I hope you are right and I can go back to Plan A:O) I do have a trickle charger but car has to be left on drive, so its sub-optimal I guess. I'd welcome reading that article if you can find it please.

Have you considered a solar panel charger?

Not needed one myself, but I do know someone who leaves a caravan on a camp site with one connected, which keeps the ‘vans Battery topped up.

You need to start with a fully charged Battery and the car in a well lit position, but the panel is inside the car so no external connections are needed.

This AA branded panel seems to be typical.  Frankly, not a huge investment if it does the job!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Powered-Battery-Charger-Caravan-Package/dp/B07P7C6QLD/ref=asc_df_B07P7C6QLD/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=232037057466&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16977707793069661225&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006551&hvtargid=pla-782175424793&psc=1

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Huwge said:

Stan this thread found by ‘Huwge’ looks well worth reading.

But I also found another AA solar panel which claims to deliver up to double the output.  One of its advantages, I suggest, is that it connects through the EOBD port.

I note others that claim a greater output but either have to be connected to the Battery posts or via the power accessory socket.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AA-Essentials-AA1432-Battery-Charger/dp/B084M5ZL5L/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8&th=1

And there are others.  So just as well you’re not indecisive!

Incidentally, what I do have is a NOCO Power Pack and that certainly lived up to its claims on the occasion it had to start a Battery so flat that even my trickle charger was having no effect.

They claim to hold a charge for up to a year and provide enough power boost for four starts in that time.  But I can’t personally vouch for that.

Still, plenty of options I think.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LenT said:

I note others that claim a greater output but either have to be connected to the battery posts or via the power accessory socket.

You don't want to go too powerful otherwise you might overcharge the Battery unless it has built in cutoff/float voltage.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, LenT said:

Stan this thread found by ‘Huwge’ looks well worth reading.

But I also found another AA solar panel which claims to deliver up to double the output.  One of its advantages, I suggest, is that it connects through the EOBD port.

I note others that claim a greater output but either have to be connected to the battery posts or via the power accessory socket.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AA-Essentials-AA1432-Battery-Charger/dp/B084M5ZL5L/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8&th=1

And there are others.  So just as well you’re not indecisive!

Incidentally, what I do have is a NOCO Power Pack and that certainly lived up to its claims on the occasion it had to start a battery so flat that even my trickle charger was having no effect.

They claim to hold a charge for up to a year and provide enough power boost for four starts in that time.  But I can’t personally vouch for that.

Still, plenty of options I think.

Many thanks Len, so I'm focussed again on the 600 and will definitely get the AA EOBD solar charger. I've got a trickle charger, so I'll see how it goes before considering investing in a Power Pack.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, LenT said:

Have you considered a solar panel charger?

Not needed one myself, but I do know someone who leaves a caravan on a camp site with one connected, which keeps the ‘vans battery topped up.

You need to start with a fully charged battery and the car in a well lit position, but the panel is inside the car so no external connections are needed.

This AA branded panel seems to be typical.  Frankly, not a huge investment if it does the job!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Powered-Battery-Charger-Caravan-Package/dp/B07P7C6QLD/ref=asc_df_B07P7C6QLD/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=232037057466&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16977707793069661225&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006551&hvtargid=pla-782175424793&psc=1

I bought, (and used) one of these AA branded solar chargers for many months during the recent two years of COVID (relative) immobility, and it kept the Battery well topped up. (Please note that it is unlikely to produce sufficient energy during winter months! (Even in Kent)   You should also ensure that your 12v Battery is in reasonable condition (or replace with a new one)

• Like 3