Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Looking At Getting A Car Alarm

CLIFFORD is probably the best -- but at the end of the day if someone wants to nick your car no alarm is going to stop them -- there are a few sister companies of clifford which will give you a slightly cheaper option - i had one of these it was CAT1 approved and i think it cost arround £250 including C/L and windows..im not sure but i think it was called Avital. :winky:

Dude,

That's one of the things that's quite attractive about owning an LS400, they are viewed as grandpa cars by a many youngsters who walk around nicking cars. The opposite of a Scooby Impreza. Plus, I would have thought that the older LS400s were not really stolen for parts in the same way that other Japanese cars are often stolen for parts, because LS400 owners generally buy new parts from the dealer.

With regard to your question, I've heard Clifford is up there with the best. Also, when I got mine, the insurance company would only insure once a Thatcham Category 1 immobiliser had been fitted (had to show them the certificate). That's prob a better bet than an alarm, since a news report today says that general public takes sod all notice of car and burglar alarms.

I reckon my immobiliser stops the car from being driven away by average thief, plus the factory alarm might scare opportunists who just smash the window and open door from inside. However, like everyone says, crooks who want something badly often get it. I've heard sometimes they don't even bother trying to steal it the normal way, they just tow it away. My mistake that's the council who does that!!!

Depends where you leave the car at night too.

certified immobiliser = CAT2

certified alarm and immobiliser = CAT1

Had a TOAD on mine, pretty good....... but agree with the AVITAL for price, personally I am looking at Clifford concept 300 (cheapest Clifford CAT1 I think)

Or TOAD AI600 (which is what I had for 3 years no problems and most are capable of the extra facilities like tilt and motion sensor, glass break sensor, remote boot release (is you haven't got that) intelli start, full closure etc etc

Thanks for all replys so far,i agree with all comments..

See yesterday the car was parked out the front of my work,in a yard with other units..i goes up the chipshop like i do everyday,comes out the chipshop and notices the back drivers door has been marked by some thing.It was i thought dry crumbley paint,it all rubbed off with no damage to the paint or door...

Gets back to work thought about it...then phoned the chipshop and asked about the gates by where i park,asking what colour they are,they say white.The mark on me door was sort of light yellow.All afternoon im thinking its been done up at the chip shop,so are work i drives up,the gates are bright white in colour,so it must have been done in the morning at work. :angry:

So last night im putting 2 and 2 together,the bloke i work with went outside on the forklift,taking a pallet over to our other unit,thinking about it the crumbley paint is in fact wood from a pallet.So i goes next door this morning and asks if they saw anything(it could have also been next door who damaged it) they says they didnt do it or see anyone do it..IT REALLY PISSES ME OFF THAT NO ONE OWNS UP TO DOING IT :angry:

So i cant really have ago at anyone cos im not sure whos done it,but its next door or the bloke in our place..getting to the point :whistling:

if id had a alarm on the car IT WOULD have gone off,im just lucky that where it rubbed on the lower part of the door,its where the door curves so its on a strong point of the door so no damage...maybe its me but i can honestly say that if i damaged something then id own up to it.

If the car had been alarmed i would have heard it and could have gone out and saw who hit me motor. :angry::angry:

Similar story Chips, I had a beamer with a Clifford on, I heard it chirp one morning and looked out of the window to see the wheelie bin that the toss bag bin men had just dropped on my car, did no good though as trying to lodge a claim against AON Risk Management, the company that looks after the council was like trying to recover the sacred dagger under the sleeping dragon in the Orc mountains....

Mr Chips....

Firstly, consider why you need an aftermarket alarm.

What additional protection do you require?

Are you fitting it because your insurance company needs it?

Do you just want a standard alarm which offers a bit more protection then the OEM one?

Things to consider.

Battery back up siren - will still sound if wires to Battery are cut.

Interior sensor protection ultrasonic - some cases can't leave your windows vented, unless the alarm offers this sensor overide upon arming.

Interior sensor protection Volumetric radar sensor-will protect interior and windows can be left open, no false alarms.

impact/shock sensors- not that great, causes more faluse alarms not normally found on cat one systems hence.

Glass break sensor- will sod alarm when it picks up a distinctive sound of glass breaking

tilt and motion sensors- will sound alarm if car is jacked up or rolled forward/backward. ( protects wheels and car theft onto trailers etc)

coded overide system in case of remote control failure.

easy replacement of remote controls

can remotes be deleted from system if lost

Most importantly.... Get it fitted by a company who WILL do a good job, as a poor job is not worth having.

Toad alarms are reliable and fairly reasonably priced.

Clifford alarms have good options like Toad but a little more expensive.

Dunno about other makes, not too sure whether other makes are worth looking at to be honest.

Theres some new 2 way alarm systems out which are great as they feed information back to the LCD on the remote control to let you know the system is armed etc... remotely started ???....

Hope this not confused you too much.

I use a TOAD on my Merc, fully programmable, just as many features as the Clifford.....

But i tend to agree with the boys, if they want it that bad ..No alarm ain't gonna stop em! :winky:

sorry forgot to mention toad - good value for money and reliable B)