Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

1992 LS400 Lexus Refresher build. Down Under Australia

Hello peeps.

Well further to many brethren suggestions, I am posting in the LS400 section.

Please find some of the tear down pictures as they come to hand.  The intention is to restore it to a former glory, motor trans, interior, etc paint.  So far the parts listings is adding up, but the show must go on.

Started the break down 3 weeks ago. This coming weekend I shall take some more photos of the parts I have purchased to date, mostly engine and interior with a touch of suspension thrown in. This week, I've been spending time concentrating on finding the hard to get bits, and sorting out the colour I want. OEM was 3H9.

Will be back in a week with an update 😉

June day 3.jpg

June day 2.jpg

June 302.jpg

June day 301.jpg

June day 304.jpg

June day 305.jpg

June day 307.jpg

June day 308.jpg

• Like 1

Interior Pics all being changed out. As you can see he is in pretty bad shape. Been neglected for well over 7 years sitting in the baking sun, leather is like cardboard and too dark for my liking.

Newer interior is tan beige, as shown in last pic along with matching door cards and carpet.

IMG_20220410_090213.jpg

IMG_20220410_090219.jpg

IMG_20220410_090234.jpg

IMG_20220410_090255.jpg

Beige Interior Complete.jpg

Here is a list of the parts on the buy list I either already have (in red), or are on the way. The list is up to date as of this afternoon. Again will take a group pic over the weekend.

INTERIOR:

·       DASH CLUSTER REBUILT - SOARER SURGEON NZ.

·       HVAC LCD SCREEN RHD - TANNIX ELECTRONIX WISCONSIN

·       DOOR CARDS TAN – BROWN REMOVED

·       SEATS TAN – BROWN REMOVED

·       DRIVERS SEAT BELT REPLACED.

·       CARPETS REPLACED TAN – BROWN REMOVED.

·       HOOD LINING RE-PINNED.

·       NEW DRIVERS MASTER CONTROL WINDOW SWITCH

·       NEW DRIVERS WINDOW MOTOR AND REGULATOR ARM

·       NEW CABIN FILTER AIR / HEATER

BODY EXTERIOR / LIGHTING

·       LEFT HAND HEADLIGHT INDICATOR REPLACED

·       DENT REMOVED RIGHT HAND FENDER ABOVE WHEEL ARCH

·       BUMPERS REPAIRED

·       WASHER SPRAY NOZZLES REPLACED

·       NEW RADIO ANTENNA INSERT OEM

·       DENSO wiper blades SET

·       NEW GAS BONNET STRUTS PAIR

ENGINE / DRIVESHAFT / EXHAUST:

·       RE-PINNED WIRING HARNESS

·       NEW ALTERNATOR

·       NEW STARTER MOTOR

·       GASKET SET TOP AND BOTTOM NEW

·       NEW WATER PUMP / TIMING BELT & H.A.T. KIT

·       NEW POWER STEERING PUMP

·       NEW HEATER CONTROL VALVE

·       NEW MISC HOSES

·       NEW RADIATOR

·       NEW RADIATOR HOSES TOP AND BOTTOM

·       Battery NEW / Battery TRAY REFRESHED

·       BREAK

·       A341E TRANSMISSION REBUILT NEW SOLENOIDS CLUTCHES

·       NEW PROP SHAFT CENTRE BEARING

·       FRONT Y PIPE REFURBISHED – DISCONTINUED BY LEXUS

·       NEW  S/S EXHAUST SYSTEM FROM Y PIPE BACK

·       NEW AIR / OIL / FUEL FILTERS SAKURI

·       NEW SERPENTINE BELT

·       NEW THERMOSTAT AND HOUSING WITH O RING

·       NEW HARMONIC BALANCER

·       NEW ENGINE  L & R AND TRANSMISSION MOUNTS

·       Denso A/C Receiver Drier

·       TRIDON TEMP SENSOR COOLANT

SUSPENSION AND BRAKES:

·       NEW FRONT, REAR ROTORS, brembo PADS, & BRAKE SENSORS

·       NEW COIL OVER SHOCKS AND SPRINGS

·       NEW WHEEL BEARINGS FRONT AND REAR

·       NEW S/S BRAIDED BRAKE LINES FRONT AND REAR

·       NEW TIE ROD ENDS OUTER L & R

·       NEW LOWER BALL JOINTS L& R

·       NEW UPPER WISHBONE ARMS WITH BUSHES AND BALL JOINTS L & R

·       NEW LOWER CONTROL ARM STRUT BUSHES

·       SUPERPRO RACK PINION BUSH KIT

61dNFkWgl+L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

Engine Mounts.png

New LHF Indicator.jpg

op970a__61461.1557470013.jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

Trans.jpg

Parts Stephan.jpg

SMOKEHLC-UNI.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

New coilovers.jpg

New HVAC Screen.jpg

• Like 1

Wow, you're going to be busy!  Keep us posted.

Out of curiosity, why did you choose coil overs instead of retaining the standard suspension setup?

2 hours ago, Scara said:

FRONT Y PIPE REFURBISHED – DISCONTINUED BY LEXUS

·       NEW  S/S EXHAUST SYSTEM FROM Y PIPE BACK

2 hours ago, Scara said:

NEW POWER STEERING PUMP

Ian hi blimey, you're going for broke then ...........  hehehehehehehe  ........this is going to cost U mega $$$ I'm sure but you'll end up with a very fine steed 

you might get just the replacement seals for the PAS unit ...  tiny cost when available 

and the exhaust system, well, I've just had bespoke front end fabricated and all sorted using the existing quite serviceable cats too ...........  £360 incl taxes here  .  The rest of the exhaust I'm told, is built with tank-like armour stainless steel so you might want to think to save some $$ on that front ?  

Ah just remembered, my 2 x  exhaust shields had to be removed coz the bolts holding them rusted thru' .....  vestigial pieces really so not replaced  

Good luck with it all .....  a very rare Australian car I know 

Keep us posted please

You're in danger of my popping in to see you when i decide to pop over to visit friends in Orbost , south of Melbourne and Rainbow Beach nr. Brisbane but that won't be till your next winter maybe when hopefully all this covid crap has finally been brought under control and airports manage to get flights in the air with less trouble for their passengers 

AND your car's finished maybe :thumbsup:

Malc

Original car sat way too high, almost 3" over the oem wheels, want to give it better street appeal and cornering ability. If only Bose electromagnetic suspension was allowed to be supplied at the time it was invented, would have made a whole heap of difference imo.

• Like 1

Steve2006, I have just surveyed the forum properly, would you be kind enough to move this post in its entirety to the Build Thread ? I think it would be better. Cheers 😉

would be a pity if we couldn't just view it here as usual too  tbh

Anyway Ian .. you might wish to change the 2ft long mild steel cooling pipe just in front of the radiator ........  it's a simple length that can be replaced with ordinary house plumbing copper tube .....  when it goes, it just goes " pop " and inconveniently too 

The mild steel pipe rusts thru eventually  and a replacement from Lexus OEM is silly expensive I believe .....  mine replaced a couple of years back /  cost abut £2.50 from the local plumber shop :wink3:

Malc

• 3 weeks later...

HI Ian,

I've got a UK LS430 which I'd like to ship back to Australia.

Mine runs mph for everything, including the odometer. When it gets there, I'd like to convert it so that it correctly reflects its odometer, and continues to correctly add increments in kilometers. Are you able to advise on how I might be able to do this? I saw in your build that you had some cluster assistance from Soarer Surgeon NZ. Was that for the same issue? Would you recommend I speak with them for this?

Many thanks,

Rob

Rob, in case it helps the mileage is stored on the device IC105 at the bottom right corner of the circuit board. I had mine swapped when I fitted a replacement cluster and it worked fine.

IMG_20211119_134858086.thumb.jpg.03b06de82974c9d7913b564220b433db.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Howplum said:

Rob, in case it helps the mileage is stored on the device IC105 at the bottom right corner of the circuit board. I had mine swapped when I fitted a replacement cluster and it worked fine.

IMG_20211119_134858086.thumb.jpg.03b06de82974c9d7913b564220b433db.jpg

Thanks Howard. Just on the replacement cluster side of things, I'm guessing it was a straight swap, without editing the IC105 thingy (sorry for being so technical)? Or were you able to get the odometer set as required? If so, can I ask how much a replacement cluster was, and how much to set the odometer?

Thanks,

Rob

The IC105 was a straight swap from my original cluster to the replacement and no editing was required. It was done by a friend of mine who repairs computers because the soldering required was way beyond my skill level. I only paid £25 for the replacement cluster, because it had other issues, which I repaired, but I suspect you will have to pay a lot more for a fully working one. The main criteria was finding a cluster that had the same part number as mine, which was a lot more difficult than you might think.

With apologies to @Scara for hijacking your topic.  How is your project going, by the way?

• 1 month later...
On 8/8/2022 at 5:02 PM, Rob M said:

HI Ian,

I've got a UK LS430 which I'd like to ship back to Australia.

Mine runs mph for everything, including the odometer. When it gets there, I'd like to convert it so that it correctly reflects its odometer, and continues to correctly add increments in kilometers. Are you able to advise on how I might be able to do this? I saw in your build that you had some cluster assistance from Soarer Surgeon NZ. Was that for the same issue? Would you recommend I speak with them for this?

Many thanks,

Rob

His name is Mike Beck. Yes, I suggest you speak to him direct for further particulars. 

https://www.facebook.com/soarersurgeon/

Here are a few updates pics of the build coming along which include new suspension, brake rotors, complete front end bushings and suspension components to name but a few. Motor was in bad shape so I changed out everything that looked suspect. There are before and after shots to compare notes. Trans is an A341E so that got a rebuild too, not by me.

Includes newer interior going back in with refreshed dash cluster and HVAC for centre console. The last 3 pics is the drive-train back in the car.  The biggest headache has been the engine wiring loom. That took near 25 new connectors. Did them all myself. More to come.

LHFS.jpg

RHFS.jpg

Engine 1.jpg

Engine 2.jpg

Engine 9.jpg

engine 10.jpg

20220821_104854.jpg

20220821_104936.jpg

20220828_163842.jpg

20220828_163852.jpg

Dash 1.jpg

Dash 2.jpg

Dash 3.jpg

Dash 4.jpg

Door 1.jpg

Door 2.jpg

door 3.jpg

door 4.jpg

Floor 1.jpg

EB1.jpg

EB2.jpg

EB3.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1st Start after a long build, 3 months of Sundays only. Took all of 15 seconds waiting for the fuel to get back into the injectors after changing the fuel filter Sunday past. Gurgled and spat for a moment, took a deep breath and wammo. Life. Quick fluid top up after a five minute warm up, skating around under the car looking for any type of leak, all going well he is good to go. Will let him settle overnight and have a goosey gander in the morning light. Good thing sunrise here is 5:45am :)

Have taken this week off work to savoir the fruits of my labour.

Now to get on with the stuff that everyone else looks at, the bodywork. 

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...
On 9/16/2022 at 11:10 PM, runsgrateasanut said:

Did you repair /replace that broken EGR pipe that is located at the back of the engine? Didn't see it on your list of parts, but maybe overlooked it. 

Right pig of a place to get to without removing engine -  I  imagine?

EGR pipe not broken at all. Anyhow for the past 4 weeks spent time on the little things. Courtesy lamps inside foot wells and door cards, getting seats in shape, using the best of both colours schemes to get the finish im looking for.

Also had some electrical issues with the cooling fans constantly on. turned out to be faulty relays in fuse box 2 under the bonnet, and fuse box 3 behind bumper left hand side. There were four (4) of them so I replaced the lot. All sorted now.

This week I'll be getting round to buy them body paint in preparation to get to work on the body. I suspect 3 coats of primer then colour. Mmm, what colour shall it be ? lolol.

Rear seat 1.jpg

Rear seat 2.jpg

Skins 1.jpg

Skins 2.jpg

Skins 3.jpg

Rad Cooling Fan 1 2 12v15amps.jpg

Rad Cooling Fan 1 2 offset 4 pin.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Scara said:

This week I'll be getting round to buy them body paint in preparation to get to work on the body. I suspect 3 coats of primer then colour. Mmm, what colour shall it be ? lolol.

On this specifically, take great care with your investigations .......  was chatting to my son-in-law the other day about car paint finishes ...........  he's a really really expert car paint sprayer with decades of knowledge

He tells me there are 3 different grades of paint to use and you simply get what you pay for

The cheapest and most commonly used has a short useful life, but looks good on the car initially

the most expensive, which he encourages clients to use ...  he restores classic car and very expensive car .......  paint finishes and will give best effect and maybe last for decades ....  as we get initially on our older Lexuses from when they were new 

Now as you're in Australia there may of course be other climate issues you should be considering with any paint finish .... just a little thought for you

Best wishes with your decisions

Malc 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, I take my hat off to you Scara, bravo!  It makes me very happy indeed, to see your thorough restoration of this LS400. Good decision and I know it will all be worth it, its a great car. Can't wait to see which colour you choose?

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Spent the past 3 Sunday's doing body prep work. Here is the 2nd to last coat of primer, final sanding happening this Saturday then paint goes on Sunday the 13th.

As for paint, Sikkens Akzonobel. 3 times the price of a regular Dulux or Dupont.

Hey Malc 1, did I mention I took it back to bare metal ? :) Bumpers are a tad different of course.

The original OEM colour is a 3H9 OEM.

I'm arguing with myself between that, the 4K9 and C4D3 combined. Bought all 3 regardless. Lets see how the gun flows come paint day :).

Been looking at wheels from all over the world too. Very difficult to select a wheel that suits both my taste and that of the car. I strive for elegance and I believe I may have sourced one that works for me. As seen on this white and silver example I included. Looks expensive on the car, and they pretty well are. Looking the higher side of $6K AUD with shipping from the US. That's around 647 Pounds each before shipping. 

The std wheels will get a clean up for licensing and fresh rubber fitted; there cheap enough at $105 per tyre. My ones are out of date and we all know how picky inspections can be. You guys call it M.O.T. inspection.

Will throw up some pics when the colour goes on and finished prolly 2 weeks once im done with it. 😉

Nov 6th 1.jpg

Nov 6th 2.jpg

Nov 6th 3.jpg

3H9.png

4K9.png

C4D3 PAINT.jpg

1990-1994 sc3.jpg

I do really think the original 15"  ??  Lexus wheels are best  ......  just so so classy imho

Did you encounter any rust in your bare metal investigations ?

Malc

Won't those big wheels change the drive train and you'll feel every small bump on the road.   My Car has 16" (standard size of '93) and see proper Lexus wheels if you look at my avatar.  Came off a different model Car but I like them. Easy maintenance and the only things that get a regular wash.

• Like 2

On 11/8/2022 at 5:08 PM, Malc1 said:

I do really think the original 15"  ??  Lexus wheels are best  ......  just so so classy imho

Did you encounter any rust in your bare metal investigations ?

Malc

No rust what so ever, we are pretty dry down here Malc.

• Like 1