Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Remapping a 2018 RX450h

Now I know that remapping ( or reclocking as it is also called ) has major benefits on petrol and diesel cars. And especially turbo variants.  But what about my Hybrid ?

I understand it will give a 15 bhp increase which is not really the incentive because it is powerful enough as it is especially in S or S+.

But will it increases mpg ?  My long time average in a previous 2010 never got above 35mpg and the 4 year history with previous owner on this car is worse than that.

Will Lexus be able to see it has been remapped on their diagnostics and change it back ?

And will it invalidate their annual warranty ?

Many thanks !

I think the biggest issue will be insurance. You should tell your insurance company because it will considered a modification and they may chose not to insure the car as a result, or charge a higher premium. I seem to recall a similar discussion on another thread recently where people with more expertise than I offered their advice and experience.

• Like 2

First of all, Lexus ECUs are locked down solid and are notoriously difficult to remap.

Secondly, even if it could be done it's hardly worth it because the petrol engine is constantly being switched off and on and doesn't run all the time.

Finally, these engines use the Atkinson Cycle and are superbly engineered, as is the whole hybrid system. It's extremely complex and is a marvel of modern engineering. In other words, if it ain't broke, don't fix it - the car will always know what's best for itself so just let it do its thing and waft you around in complete comfort.

• Like 2

Thanks Herbs, I will follow your advice!  BTW where do you get your RX450h serviced?  I have yet to find a trustworthy Main Dealer.  Used to have a good man service my 2010 RX450h but he never had access to the Lexus diagnostics.

• Like 1

Yes, I know.  But Lexus Service by Lexus Main Dealers is awful, in my experience with two such Main Dealers.  Verging on the criminal !

4 hours ago, dgw1 said:

Thanks Herbs, I will follow your advice!  BTW where do you get your RX450h serviced?  I have yet to find a trustworthy Main Dealer.  Used to have a good man service my 2010 RX450h but he never had access to the Lexus diagnostics.

You're welcome :thumbsup:

Up to the introduction of the Relax scheme I used to take it to my mate's garage here in Preston. A brilliant mechanic who charges reasonable and realistic rates, but I think Preston will be too far for you to travel 😄

Because of Relax I now take it to Lexus Preston and I have to say that I'm more than happy with their work, in both customer service and the workshop.

I still grapple with the old Lexus Paradox, where people are drawn to the brand because of their reputation for reliability but then take a warranty because they're worried about the reliability :laughing:

As for Lexus diagnostics, if you have an old Windows laptop (even as old as Windows XP) then you just need to buy one of these miniVCI cables which will come with a pirated version of Techstream. Of course, we can't condone pirate software so the legit way would be to download an official copy from here and then pay for a block of time to use it (€5/day, €10/week etc). Either way, you'll need that cable anyway.

Will that miniVCI cable with Techstream work with Windows 10 - it is the oldest Windows laptop I have ?    ( Only use it for one app that doesn't work on my Mac. )   Have a Carista OBD but their subscriptions are expensive and I suspect the Techstream will do much more.

If I come to Preston, I hope we can meet up for a meal and a chat.  I drove through there once on the way to Scotland.  Was in a wonderful Camry.  Many moons ago. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links