Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

The RX and advanced driving

Anyone here an advanced driver and I am wondering if with a car this size and weight, its worth having a few advanced lessons to understand the handling characteristics of a 2+ tonne car.  Yeah my test was over 30 years ago and I am no longer a boy racer and more mature and sensible behind the wheel but I probably have a lot of bad habits.  I'm not going to push the car about but at that point where I think about safety a bit more than I used to.  Narrow country roads and single track roads that I tend to avoid are a bit of a concern in this thing. 

• Like 1

As I've said before, it's not a big car. It's virtually the same size as a Ford Mondeo, that's all.

My test was over 40 years ago and I can handle it just fine without having had any advanced driving lessons. You really seem to be blowing this out of all proportion and looking for any tiny reason not to get one.

You've passed a driving test and got a licence, so just drive it like any other car. It should take you all of five minutes to get used to it.

EDIT: On the very first day I started work on Post Office Telephones I was given the keys to one of these rascals:

1797263389_jointerswagon.jpg.d87637082411b17902cc8a907e737101.jpg

This is a jointers wagon. No if's or but's, this is what a cable jointer needed for the job. Having driven nothing bigger than a Morris Marina before, I was a bit apprehensive about it but, within half an hour of driving it, it quickly became apparent that it was no worse than driving the Marina or anything else. And it had to go wherever the telephone cables went, so single-track roads and narrow lanes had to be done and I remember having to reverse it back about a mile to a passing point so that a milk truck could get past.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Sybaris said:

Anyone here an advanced driver and I am wondering if with a car this size and weight, its worth having a few advanced lessons to understand the handling characteristics of a 2+ tonne car.  Yeah my test was over 30 years ago and I am no longer a boy racer and more mature and sensible behind the wheel but I probably have a lot of bad habits.  I'm not going to push the car about but at that point where I think about safety a bit more than I used to.  Narrow country roads and single track roads that I tend to avoid are a bit of a concern in this thing. 

As a former observer for the Institute of Advanced Motorists, I would say go for it and enrol yourself on a course. A few trips out with an observer will boost your confidence and will, if nothing else, give you a refresher on the Highway Code 2022 version. The course is not designed to teach you the ins and outs of your particular car but the observer should be able to provide general advice and reassurance that takes into account your car's general characteristics.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Probably the only the thing you need to get used to is the height of the driving position, which does make it a little harder to judge width compared to a lower car, in my experience. It's not like you'll be slinging it around tight bends and having to worrry about rollover.

I drove around some pretty windy, narrow, snowy mountain roads last year, and my initial concerns were quickly put to rest.

If safety is your primary concern then fit a decent set of all weather tyres and make sure the brakes are in good shape, and you'll be fine.

• Like 1

You probably just need to get used to the car, particularly it's dimensions, and maybe pay extra attention to your movements. ie: Can I really squeeze past this row of parked cars with that bus coming towards me?

I drive something considerably larger than an RX for a living, and yes it can be intimidating at first, but after a while you just become "one" with the vehicle, to use a cliche, and feel more confident.

Eventually you learn to anticipate what is and isn't possible, or safe, and act accordingly.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Herbie said:

As I've said before, it's not a big car. It's virtually the same size as a Ford Mondeo, that's all.

My test was over 40 years ago and I can handle it just fine without having had any advanced driving lessons. You really seem to be blowing this out of all proportion and looking for any tiny reason not to get one.

You've passed a driving test and got a licence, so just drive it like any other car. It should take you all of five minutes to get used to it.

EDIT: On the very first day I started work on Post Office Telephones I was given the keys to one of these rascals:

This is a jointers wagon. No if's or but's, this is what a cable jointer needed for the job. Having driven nothing bigger than a Morris Marina before, I was a bit apprehensive about it but, within half an hour of driving it, it quickly became apparent that it was no worse than driving the Marina or anything else. And it had to go wherever the telephone cables went, so single-track roads and narrow lanes had to be done and I remember having to reverse it back about a mile to a passing point so that a milk truck could get past.

Ha ha. You're right, there is nothing worse than driving a Morris Marina! 😉  I hope you got on better with yours than I did with the one that I drove.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi Dan,

Some drivers do find it a little difficult to feel confident in a larger vehicle, at least initially, so if you feel you might benefit from being accompanied by an experienced driver a few times arrange it.  It's not a matter of how confident other drivers are with their cars but how you feel in yours.   I have owned and driven bigger cars than the RX but found these easier to place.  I note that there is a review on another thread where the tester Jayemm, who has driven many different cars, makes a point of saying the RX he tested was not easy to place.

I think you grow more wary as the years go by and perhaps  give other drivers a little more room and maybe drive less aggressively which is no bad thing unless you hold up others unreasonably.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Harrier Man said:

Ha ha. You're right, there is nothing worse than driving a Morris Marina! 😉  I hope you got on better with yours than I did with the one that I drove.

Morris Marina. Sweet memories. First car. Loved it.

Bad memories; not reliable at all.

• Like 2

That you're interested in improving your driving skills is a good sign you're a careful, considerate driver anyway.  I did the IAM course about 20 years ago and it taught me quite a few things I've integrated into my driving, like observation before indication, being able to stop in the distance you can see to be clear ahead, always reversing into and driving out of parking spaces, braking to the correct speed before turning, etc.  There's a lot of good stuff to learn.

I don't really think you'll learn anything about driving a large, high centre of gravity car like the RX.  Someone might point out its increased tendency to flip during high speed manoeuvres, but that's it.  The most important lesson advanced driving will teach you is how to avoid getting into such situations in the first place.  It'll teach you how not to write "all of a sudden" on an insurance claim form.

• Like 2

The getting used to it will come as I take it our more and more. I think Herbie said its the size of a Mondeo, which I once had many years ago.

What I think I need to look at is avoiding those "breath in" situations where some how you end up passing through those tight gaps where you think "why on earth did I do that"? or taking the car down residential side streets with parked cars either side and oncoming idiots that don't slow down or let you pass.  

I may take your advice Parrot of Doom, I think it may be worth a few lessons in becoming more aware and how to avoid some of those brown trouser moments. 

For what it's worth, the car isn't as long or as wide as it appears from the driver's seat, which gives you a little margin for error. You've also got front and rear parking sensors, which will let you know if you're getting too close to  anything.

On 7/23/2022 at 3:27 PM, Herbie said:

But Herbie - this handled better than a Morris Marina!

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

The only "problem" I had when I got my first (still own it) 2010 RX450 was the horrible torque steer. It could be quite frightening and almost caught me out unexpectedly a few times. I have owned several cars with front wheel drive and have never experienced torque steer before.

I've had several front tyre changes since I bought it in 2014 and by far the best at "curing" this problem are the currently fitted Michelin CrossClimate tyres. They make the car feel like it's on rails and inspires total confidence in all weathers.

1 hour ago, Johntechx said:

The only "problem" I had when I got my first (still own it) 2010 RX450 was the horrible torque steer. It could be quite frightening and almost caught me out unexpectedly a few times. I have owned several cars with front wheel drive and have never experienced torque steer before.

I've not experienced torque steer on a Gen 4 RX, did you have the wheel alignment done at the same time as new tyres, that may have been the problem.

Last car I had with pronounced torque steer was a Mk2 Golf GTi.

7 minutes ago, Spock66 said:

I've not experienced torque steer on a Gen 4 RX, did you have the wheel alignment done at the same time as new tyres, that may have been the problem.

Last car I had with pronounced torque steer was a Mk2 Golf GTi.

Yes, had 4-wheel laser alignment done. It was down to tyres really. Each brand I tried had issues, some better than others. XClimate the best.

• Like 2

It's possible that they may produce the Cross Climates in 20" size now but not so long ago there were posts saying they were not sold in this size.  I have them on my 3rd Gen car and agree they made a great improvement over the Dunlops car came with.  I have had a small amount of torque steer on accelerating very hard a couple of times but not to the extent that it troubled me and because I am not foot to floor driver I have never experienced it otherwise.

• Like 1

You do feel the additional weight when it comes to braking. It initally feels keen as the regen charges the Battery. Then sometimes you need to give the pedal a good shove to complete the stop. Takes a little getting used to. Also it's no sports car round the corners due to the height and if you go too fast into a corner, it leans. Other than that, dead easy. But take an IAM course if you wish - you will probably learn something.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links