Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is 200 Se - Am I Paying Too Much?

I'm new here and as yet don't have a Lexus, but I'm trying to put that right and would appreciate some advice.

I've seen a few cars on the usual Autotrader, Fish4, FreeAds etc sites and have come across a car just over my budget, but it is low mileage and in pretty good condition. So is £14,750 a fair price for a private sale 2002 Black IS200SE with less than 10k miles on the clock?

The car is in A1 conditon apart from a scratch down the side of the car. The scratch is not through to the primer and may not be noticable on a silver car, but as it's black it does catch the eye. I was hoping to T cut it out, but I'm not sure if that will work. Can a scratch be painted over without having to spray the entire side of the car which I imagine would cost a small fortune.

also the car was originally purchased new from a Car Superstore with only a 2 year warranty, so if I get problems with the alloys or CD player will Lexus honour the extended warranty they seem to have issued on these items?

A lot of questions, but for me £ 14,750 is a lot of money and all assistance would be appreciated.

Big Chris

£14,750 is a good price for an 02 model with less than 10k on the clock, I just purchased an 02 sport fully loaded and that cost me £18,000 with 7k on the clock

As long as its not an Import i would go for it

Paul

hmmm, it does sound cheap..

Ensure you do a HPI check on it.. and as Paul mentioned, ensure it is a UK spec..

Its likely to be a parallel import if it came from a supermarket, the UK spec SE has the following as standard, so check it has all this, otherwise the resale may be effected:

All round electric windows

Electric sunroof

Climate control

Electric adjust, heated seats

1/2 leather, 1/2 suede seats

electric adjust and fold wing mirrors

17" alloys

6 CD multichanger (in dash)

If its 02, it should have curtain airbags..

Whitie,

Unfortunately it's a Private sale, so it's up to me to sort out.

A dealer would ask another £2k for a similar car, it'd have a warranty and the scratch would be sorted, but I don't have the cash.

I suppose you get what you pay for.

Big Chris

Ask SprintFinish (or ChipsAway or someone similar) to give you a quote. I had a load of stonechips and scratches removed on my previous car a couple of years ago and they did an excellent job for about 50 quid.

There's cars for sale on here all the time, plus AltezzaScott imports them... Then you know your getting one from a true IS pothead!.... But then this one is on your doorstep..

If you want this one (what sounds like you are) check the normal things, i.e. Oil leaks etc... Plus drive it from cold, the IS is known for a dodge gear change from 1st - 2nd

Hope this helps

Hi Matey,

The way I always find best to look at cars is to compare what you could get for a similar price.

My car is up for sale......it's a 2001 Y IS200 sport, literally just bought from dealer so 1yrs warranty, brand new eagle F1's, brand new std 17" wheels, granite sky, 34k miles (serviced at 30k and 34k). Electric passenger seat, 15mm lower model (i.e. second generation), quanan sprayed parking sensors (with display in dash), excellent condition, 1 yrs T+T, mats, Philips bluevision bulbs/side lights

You could have that for £14,500

So, then the question becomes "What does low mileage on an IS200 mean?". Well, to me, nothing. They are so bullet proof that low mileage just means you're going to lose money if you drive high miles. And the warranties are very good (in fact it is considered the the Lexus USED warranty is better than the factory warranty!!!)

The advice above is very good though, and the same people who gave me advice when I bought.....so I know it to be valuable!!!

Forgot to say though, the chips away / dent restorer type companies are very personal. They are more often than not franchised, and so depending on where you live depends on whether you get a good guy or a bad guy. Just seek word of mouth and ask around you area, and you could get a pukka job done for not that much money!!! Also consider though, if your'e buying a car with a massive scratch down the side, what else has been done to it that you CAN'T see?

PM me if you are interested in my car. I live in Kent.

Sorry if it sounds like I've written alot and in not alot of time....it's cos I have!!!! Busy at work but felt I needed to comment :) So if I appear "flippant".....I apologise, I'm not normally!!!!!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links