Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Luckiest Person Ever!

If the belt had snapped or i had not found it, it would of been game over for my engine.

Not sure about the 1G-FE engine but nearly every other Toyota engine that uses a belt you just align the crank/camshafts put a new belt on and drive away - no engine damage.

As I'm about to buy my first Lexus, what is the score re: Cam/Timing belts on the IS200?

My brother had a belt go on his Cavalier a few years back and the valves didn't touch the pistons, although not learning his lesson the belt went on his 20v Audi and needed 16 new valves and the best part of £500. My dad had a belt snap on a Rover and that had to have a fully reconditioned head.

Being from a family of unluck timing belt types I would welcome advice on how often Toyota recommend changing the belt and what the implications are if it fails- banging 24 variably timed valves off pistons does not sound good! :sick:

To keep you all in the picture, i booked my car in to my mechanic to fix the timing belt but he could not get the belt from his supplier, so being a gold member i went to get my 5% off from lexus parts department. i told the person who served me the situation and asked to speak to a lexus mechanic for any suggestions of what might of caused it. the mechanic saw the photos of the belt and was so shocked it had gone that bad at such low miles, they picked the car up and are doing all the work for free :D :D :D it is a five year old car but he said that the belt is no where near the 100k change.

Lexus customer service scores 10/10 with me :D

The car has only just gone in today mate so they are still looking into it. one mechanic thinks it could be that the material of the belt was changed in 2001 so it could be brittle and moving forward to take up the slack. i will keep you posted on the outcome :unsure:

Just got the car back and i could not be happier with the work done :D :D

They did not want to spend too much time investigating the problem so they just changed every part to do with the timing belt, (tensioners etc) so i can not tell you what the outcome was sorry.

Lexus attitude and service towards me is five star

:yahoo::yahoo: :D :D :lol::lol:

Saw this before on an IS200. Turned out the tensioner pulley bearing was knackered and because of the movement this created, the belt was moving out along the other pulleys and wearing off the cover.

franmac

This is exactly what happened to mine. Bearing in tensioner pulley knacked and belt rubbing on front of cover. belt chipped all down one edge. new belt - £20, new tensioner pulley - £40ish. my car had just done 100k. Very relieved.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links