Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just an info post really in case others have a similar problem.  The car started lurching at low speeds, which I initially thought was traction related.  Then the engine warning light came on a bit later.  Plugged my code reader in and I got PO300 and PO305, random misfire, and misfire on cylinder 5.  Which was unfortunate because I was over 200 miles from home.  Still, I managed to get it home driving carefully on the motorway, it seemed reasonably happy at 70mph so long as I didn't gun it.

I also had the traction warning lights come on leaving a motorway services.  This was fortuitous because when I called the garage it was about the first thing he asked; that it had done that gave him confidence over the phone that a coil pack had gone.

And indeed that was the cause.  Cylinder 5 coil pack dead.  £70 for a new coil, couple of hours labour (it's at the back of the engine and a pain to get to), £200 bill and sorted.  I can't complain really, it's the first major issue since I bought the car nearly 10 years ago.

I'm keeping the car until rust or something else kills it.  With any luck it'll be my penultimate car before I retire (at which point I'll go car-free).

• Like 2

Tackled one recently on my RX350, as you say, can't really argue too much as it's not a huge failure and the car is getting on a bit.

Hopefully that's all your drama over for another ten years! 🙂 

13 hours ago, Parrot of Doom said:

And indeed that was the cause.  Cylinder 5 coil pack dead.  £70 for a new coil, couple of hours labour (it's at the back of the engine and a pain to get to), £200 bill and sorted.  I can't complain really, it's the first major issue since I bought the car nearly 10 years ago.

Check your oil and see if it's smells of fuel, you may have contaminated oil if one cylinder has consistently not been firing, this will dilute the oil so it does not provide the correct protection.

• Like 2