Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus motability scheme

Crikey... one way to start shifting cars 

https://www.lexus.co.uk/motability?utm_source=LexusOwnersClubUK&utm_medium=ForumLinks 

It will also keep Lexus dealers busy on servicing.

Interesting to see if it takes off though as the UX has limited boot space so may not end up being the motability car of choice 

You also need 4k advance payment also that's essentially a write off for the 3 year you have it which again may put people off.

Time will tell.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, cadman2k said:

Crikey... one way to start shifting cars 

https://www.lexus.co.uk/motability?utm_source=LexusOwnersClubUK&utm_medium=ForumLinks 

It will also keep Lexus dealers busy on servicing.

Interesting to see if it takes off though as the UX has limited boot space so may not end up being the motability car of choice 

You also need 4k advance payment also that's essentially a write off for the 3 year you have it which again may put people off.

Time will tell.

Another wonderful use of Taxpayers money! Ironic that the vast majority of Taxpayers contributing can't afford one themselves 🤯

• Like 2

The scheme is excellent and life changing for many of the users. They are in effect sacrificing their personal independence payment and, have to jump through a number of hoops just to be able to get onto the scheme in the first place. Some of which can be quite distressing. 

When I was with Toyota the worst mistake they made was getting rid of the Verso as they sold droves of them via the scheme. Instead they were sign posting the C-HR which just didn't work due to the poor boot size and the claustrophobic nature of the rear seats. The Prius+ would have been a good replacement almost like for like replacement but, it didn't seem to work.

The majority of people switching out of non-Toyota motability cars were either in Qashqais, Focus/Astra estates or Fiat 500Ls, as these tended to have nil deposit deals available. I think the most I ever took off anyone was a deposit of £499 for a Rav 4. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Marko89 said:

The scheme is excellent and life changing for many of the users. They are in effect sacrificing their personal independence payment and, have to jump through a number of hoops just to be able to get onto the scheme in the first place. Some of which can be quite distressing. 

When I was with Toyota the worst mistake they made was getting rid of the Verso as they sold droves of them via the scheme. Instead they were sign posting the C-HR which just didn't work due to the poor boot size and the claustrophobic nature of the rear seats. The Prius+ would have been a good replacement almost like for like replacement but, it didn't seem to work.

The majority of people switching out of non-Toyota motability cars were either in Qashqais, Focus/Astra estates or Fiat 500Ls, as these tended to have nil deposit deals available. I think the most I ever took off anyone was a deposit of £499 for a Rav 4. 

Gov UK states these contracts are 44%cheaper, a comparison against commercial contract hire rates which are not normally available to individuals. The retail equivalent is a Personal Contract Purchase (PCP) which will be more expensive and will also require a full credit check. So for a weekly spend of £61.20 (weekly enhanced mobility component of PIP) the customer is obtaining a value of around £110 per week. Doesn't sound particularly distressing but then I'm old fashioned. A look at Motability Operations who run the scheme is also eye opening 🤯, imagine having a business that's iron-clad government backed and turning out close to 30% gross margin. No wonder salaries of 500 k are affordable and 3 million payoff to Outgoing execs. No one least of me decrys the noble aims but not to fund Range Rovers and Lexus. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

Who says, Howard ?

From personal experience ! I look at cars parked with blue badges in my local area . If they are less than 3 years old it’s highly likely they have been leased via Motability . They are often Citroen. There is also a Tv ad , it’s on constantly, advertising getting a car on Motability , and guess what , the car in the Ad is a Citroen. 

3 minutes ago, Dealkent said:

From personal experience ! I look at cars parked with blue badges in my local area . If they are less than 3 years old it’s highly likely they have been leased via Motability . They are often Citroen. There is also a Tv ad , it’s on constantly, advertising getting a car on Motability , and guess what , the car in the Ad is a Citroen. 

Thanks for explaining Howard.

It is not true that your experiences reflect reality. Whilst there are undoubtedly Citroens and Renaults being offered via the schemes they are not the largest of sales.

Use Google to find out more.

Incidentally I agree with your comment about France!

• Like 1

On 8/12/2022 at 12:54 PM, Phil xxkr said:

Gov UK states these contracts are 44%cheaper, a comparison against commercial contract hire rates which are not normally available to individuals. The retail equivalent is a Personal Contract Purchase (PCP) which will be more expensive and will also require a full credit check. So for a weekly spend of £61.20 (weekly enhanced mobility component of PIP) the customer is obtaining a value of around £110 per week. Doesn't sound particularly distressing but then I'm old fashioned. A look at Motability Operations who run the scheme is also eye opening 🤯, imagine having a business that's iron-clad government backed and turning out close to 30% gross margin. No wonder salaries of 500 k are affordable and 3 million payoff to Outgoing execs. No one least of me decrys the noble aims but not to fund Range Rovers and Lexus. 

Your only looking at one aspect of it, the monetary side. What you aren't looking at is the human side of it. The application process involves going through what a worse case scenario day would be like for you or the person you are applying on behalf of. In particular for parents trying to get a suitable car for their disabled child it is a horrible experience to have to go through, it is incredibly invasive as well. 

It isn't as simple as turn up at a dealership with a PIP letter and get car for peanuts like you are trying to make out. They also need to supply some fairly personal information to said sales person who is handling their lease. 

• Like 2

From my previous experiences with any government form filling I can understand why there are hundreds of thousands of people not claiming “Pension Credit”

I think the only question not asked is which type of toilet paper do you use.

Most of the forms cannot be filled in online you either have to print off 20 odd sheets of paper or sit in the telephone queue to request a paper form.

• Like 1

On 8/17/2022 at 9:45 AM, Marko89 said:

Your only looking at one aspect of it, the monetary side. What you aren't looking at is the human side of it. The application process involves going through what a worse case scenario day would be like for you or the person you are applying on behalf of. In particular for parents trying to get a suitable car for their disabled child it is a horrible experience to have to go through, it is incredibly invasive as well. 

It isn't as simple as turn up at a dealership with a PIP letter and get car for peanuts like you are trying to make out. They also need to supply some fairly personal information to said sales person who is handling their lease. 

With due respect Mark you are entirely missing the point. The money to fund such schemes are from the taxpayer the Government has no money only from taxpayers. So at what point do they have a voice? There are a vast number of ordinary working people doing extraordinarily hard work in testing circumstances but who is championing their voice? Who exactly represents their voice? No-one.  There are 190,000 + registered charities in the UK, hundreds of thousands of people involved in supporting the perceived less well off. But where are the people who advocate for the golden goose?  No where to be seen. 

Well we do live in a country which seems to prioritise non-working people compared to hard working people so what do you expect.

You're better off claiming back pain for the rest of your life when taking into account all the benefits you can claim than working as a junior doctor or nurse in the NHS. Let that sink in for a minute.

59 minutes ago, rayaans said:

Well we do live in a country which seems to prioritise non-working people compared to hard working people so what do you expect.

You're better off claiming back pain for the rest of your life when taking into account all the benefits you can claim than working as a junior doctor or nurse in the NHS. Let that sink in for a minute.

Couldn’t agree more Rayaan, it's madness 🤯