Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Would you recommend a 2022 Lexus NX to a friend?

There seems to have been an uptick in NX 450+h deliveries recently, so thought it would be useful to get some feedback from owners on how happy they are with their purchase.

For me I would give it 6.5 out of 10 and wouldn't recommend it to a friend.   

Overall, the vehicle is fabulous from an engineering POV.  The Adaptive Cruise Control with Keep Lane Assist is a thing of beauty.  It's a great, comfortable ride and makes for relaxing journeys.  The only engineering issue I have is with the vibration through the accelerator pedal when driving at speed outside of urban areas, which I find irritating.

The reason for my low score is the tech, which is close to disastrous, IMHO.  Here are some of the issues I am having:

Profiles not loading: Well documented here, but it is infuriating having to log into my account to get my profile loaded when the vehicle loads my wife's profile when we get in the vehicle.  Even then the seat, steering wheel etc has to be set up again every time we want to go somewhere. The presets on the door panel don't work either.

Can't charge vehicle away from home: I activated an account for the Lexus Charging Network.  Activation was successful and I received my RFID card, however both the card and app fails to unlock any charging stations in the Lexus network.  The app is now mysteriously showing that the activation of the card charging service is "Pending". The company who issued the card claim that everything is working and I need to speak to Lexus to sort the app out.  Lexus have failed to answer my emails regarding this issue (so much for their supposedly fabulous customer service).  I am on holiday in France and have been unable to charge the vehicle so am in my 3rd tank of petrol since I got the car 3 weeks ago.

International Auto-detect settings not working:. Vehicle was configured to auto-detect and change units and distances abroad - this failed when I got to France; everything was still shown in MPH.  Had to pull over and spend 20 minutes trying to find the correct menu to change to KMPH.  Having done that, the vehicle reverts back to auto-detect when you end a journey, so you have to manually change it again at the start of every journey (after you have finished setting up the profile, seat positions etc).  Even when you do set it up, speed is shown in KMPH but distances to next turning is expressed in yards and miles.

Suspect incorrect speed shown in dashboard and HUD: I got so fed up with the in car navigation that I tried using the Tom-Tom phone app via Android-Auto.  There is a variance of 2-3 KMPH between what the car says is the current vehicle speed and what Tom-Tom says is the current speed.  Going past road furniture that displays your current speed, it seems Tom-Tom is reporting the speed correctly and the Lexus is reporting it incorrectly.

Numerous niggles: The infotainment system has lots of sub-optimal features for a vehicle in the Luxury segment. E.G plug in a USB drive containing folders of music and it won't list them in alphabetical order - you have to scroll up and down till you find the folder you are looking for.

Taken together, these issues have made the whole ownership experience to be quite miserable.  Love the engineering, but hate the ownership experience.  If it wasn't for the long wait times to get any new vehicle built I would be seriously considering rejecting this car.  I just have to hope they can sort the issues out with software updates.

• Sad 6

I have got to say that I am very happy with my 450h+ and give it a 9 out of 10 with the issues regarding profiles/Lexus Link app the only reason to mark it down. Certainly don't experience any vibration through the accelerator pedal or have any problem with the door panel presets.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Stumpyuk said:

The presets on the door panel don't work either.

Have a look here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ux-models-2019-present/935001-driver-s-seat-memory-not-working.html

I had to perform the reset on our new UX as the door buttons didn't work.   I did this reset and then the preset buttons can be used as normal going forwards

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stumpyuk said:

Suspect incorrect speed shown in dashboard and HUD: I got so fed up with the in car navigation that I tried using the Tom-Tom phone app via Android-Auto.  There is a variance of 2-3 KMPH between what the car says is the current vehicle speed and what Tom-Tom says is the current speed.  Going past road furniture that displays your current speed, it seems Tom-Tom is reporting the speed correctly and the Lexus is reporting it incorrectly.

That's perfectly normal, and very noticable with digital speedometers.

Sat Nav speed is using GPS to calculate speed as distance over time.

Car speedos are not using the same calculation and are not allowed to under-read under UK law - they can over-read by up to 10 per cent plus 6.25mph.  So it could even read 50 mph when you're only really doing 40.

https://www.thecarexpert.co.uk/how-accurate-is-a-car-speedometer/

• Like 4

I’m undecided if I would recommend to friend……

I like the car and there is a lot to like about it. However, having said that, I am struggling with some of the smart tech. 
I get that it is all pretty new and there was always going to be a few bugs, but we’re now close to 9 months after release and I’m not seeing any improvement.

Lexus tech support is poor and I’m not that happy with dealer support either.

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, zanderblue said:

I’m undecided if I would recommend to friend……

I like the car and there is a lot to like about it. However, having said that, I am struggling with some of the smart tech. 
I get that it is all pretty new and there was always going to be a few bugs, but we’re now close to 9 months after release and I’m not seeing any improvement.

Lexus tech support is poor and I’m not that happy with dealer support either.

Good morning, can you ge a bit more specific? Thanks

20 hours ago, Stumpyuk said:

There seems to have been an uptick in NX 450+h deliveries recently, so thought it would be useful to get some feedback from owners on how happy they are with their purchase.

Overall, the vehicle is fabulous from an engineering POV.  The Adaptive Cruise Control with Keep Lane Assist is a thing of beauty.  It's a great, comfortable ride and makes for relaxing journeys.  The only engineering issue I have is with the vibration through the accelerator pedal when driving at speed outside of urban areas, which I find irritating.

The reason for my low score is the tech, which is close to disastrous, IMHO.  Here are some of the issues I am having:

Profiles not loading: Well documented here, but it is infuriating having to log into my account to get my profile loaded when the vehicle loads my wife's profile when we get in the vehicle.  Even then the seat, steering wheel etc has to be set up again every time we want to go somewhere. The presets on the door panel don't work either.

Can't charge vehicle away from home: I activated an account for the Lexus Charging Network.  Activation was successful and I received my RFID card, however both the card and app fails to unlock any charging stations in the Lexus network.  The app is now mysteriously showing that the activation of the card charging service is "Pending". The company who issued the card claim that everything is working and I need to speak to Lexus to sort the app out.  Lexus have failed to answer my emails regarding this issue (so much for their supposedly fabulous customer service).  I am on holiday in France and have been unable to charge the vehicle so am in my 3rd tank of petrol since I got the car 3 weeks ago.

International Auto-detect settings not working:. Vehicle was configured to auto-detect and change units and distances abroad - this failed when I got to France; everything was still shown in MPH.  Had to pull over and spend 20 minutes trying to find the correct menu to change to KMPH.  Having done that, the vehicle reverts back to auto-detect when you end a journey, so you have to manually change it again at the start of every journey (after you have finished setting up the profile, seat positions etc).  Even when you do set it up, speed is shown in KMPH but distances to next turning is expressed in yards and miles.

Numerous niggles: The infotainment system has lots of sub-optimal features for a vehicle in the Luxury segment. E.G plug in a USB drive containing folders of music and it won't list them in alphabetical order - you have to scroll up and down till you find the folder you are looking for.

Taken together, these issues have made the whole ownership experience to be quite miserable.  Love the engineering, but hate the ownership experience.  If it wasn't for the long wait times to get any new vehicle built I would be seriously considering rejecting this car.  I just have to hope they can sort the issues out with software updates.

Frankly, I don't think you can reject this car based on the issues you mentioned.

22 minutes ago, talaipwros said:

On topic, I think at the moment the best VFM Lexus to buy, is the current RX.

Significant discounts, amazing build quality, 3.5V6 and favourable PCP.

Agree. At delivery in November 2021 my brand new RX was about £150 per month cheaper than a pre-order on an equivalent spec NX using the 1.9% Lexus PCP.

I wasn’t looking for an RX - I’d actually decided to keep my previous NX 300h - but the deal was almost impossible to turn down.

Reading the above posts I’m pleased I bought the RX. I hate tech at the best of times, and certainly don’t understand most of it - and at least the RX screen and options were familiar to me after two successive NXs. It all seems to work faultlessly too!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, First_Lexus said:

Agree. At delivery in November 2021 my brand new RX was about £150 per month cheaper than a pre-order on an equivalent spec NX using the 1.9% Lexus PCP.

I wasn’t looking for an RX - I’d actually decided to keep my previous NX 300h - but the deal was almost impossible to turn down.

Reading the above posts I’m pleased I bought the RX. I hate tech at the best of times, and certainly don’t understand most of it - and at least the RX screen and options were familiar to me after two successive NXs. It all seems to work faultlessly too!

Agree. I am still waiting for mine ( hopefully here in the next couple of months) My intention is for this to be my last non - electric vehicle so I wanted something with rock solid build quality that will do everything right for the next 15 years. Can not think of a better choice, irrespectively of brand, for that purpose.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Stumpyuk said:

Sorry to hear that you are dissatisfied with your NX @Stumpyuk  After the long wait for it and then finding out that it has failed to meet your expectations must be quite demoralising.

To answer your question "would I recommend a 2022 NX to a friend?" - I would have to say most definitely (purely from my own experience of course) and I don't regret buying it for one minute. Maybe my expectations\standards are slightly lower than yours but I love this car and can't really fault it. It's drives very nice; looks nice and has that air of luxury and amazing build quality IMHO.

Mine isn't the PHEV version so I can't relate to your problems with charging it away from home (nor can I comment on the International auto-detect feature not working or the USB file sorting) but I can honestly say that I haven't encountered any of the other issues that you listed. My profile loads every time and my seating and other settings are restored correctly; the wireless charger works perfectly with my phone and I find the Infotainment system to be both functional and usable.

Maybe I am one of the lucky ones. I don't share the car with anyone else so do not encounter the issues other people have faced with multiple users and profiles. My phone (a Samsung S10+) stays on the wireless charging pad and the Infotainment system does what I want it to do.

There are one or two minor things that I think could improve it (and I'm really nit-picking here) such as wireless Android Auto; split screen capability in the Infotainment system and Google Maps directions in the HUD but these are trivial and may indeed be resolved by future software upgrades.

• Like 3

The only thing I can comment on is that head office customer service along with the directors and my local dealer is that they are rubbish for customer service so don't just assume they will be helpful when and if a problem crops up because the chances are they won't 

to sum up, great cars but rubbish service and this is nothing to do with Japan and takumi which is strictly only for the Japanese market where you are guaranteed great service however small 

the UK service i should add is rubbish from all marques and has been over my 50 years of driving. i'm not even sure the public have ever had good after sales and warranty work done in the UK, as i've never seen it 

8 minutes ago, fourbanks said:

The only thing I can comment on is that head office customer service along with the directors and my local dealer is that they are rubbish for customer service so don't just assume they will be helpful when and if a problem crops up because the chances are they won't 

to sum up, great cars but rubbish service and this is nothing to do with Japan and takumi which is strictly only for the Japanese market where you are guaranteed great service however small 

the UK service i should add is rubbish from all marquees and has been over my 50 years of driving. i'm not even sure the public have ever had good after sales and warranty work done in the UK, as i've never seen it 

I am surprisingly happy with Williams Manchester BMW so far. For example one occasion there was some radiator leak that was flagged on the system, fixed unter warranty, no cost.

During service they identified some oil leaked around the gearbox - a leak that was not detected as yet by any alarm. They said " let's fix it now while you are under warranty, you don't want this happening outside of it". Fixed, again under warranty, no charge. No issues since ( other than tyres/breaks etc, standard wear and tear)

Lexus Bolton was always previously good as well.

10 minutes ago, talaipwros said:

I am surprisingly happy with Williams Manchester BMW so far. For example one occasion there was some radiator leak that was flagged on the system, fixed unter warranty, no cost.

During service they identified some oil leaked around the gearbox - a leak that was not detected as yet by any alarm. They said " let's fix it now while you are under warranty, you don't want this happening outside of it". Fixed, again under warranty, no charge. No issues since ( other than tyres/breaks etc, standard wear and tear)

Lexus Bolton was always previously good as well.

Good to hear that you've managed to be able to use a good garage. Down here in the south of England, i'd be very surprised to find that to be the case. i'll keep my eyes open 

On 8/12/2022 at 12:17 PM, Stumpyuk said:

Can't charge vehicle away from home: I activated an account for the Lexus Charging Network.  Activation was successful and I received my RFID card, however both the card and app fails to unlock any charging stations in the Lexus network.  

TBH, whilst I would find that frustrating, I’m not so sure that there is any financial benefit to charging away from home unless you can charge for free (some supermarkets etc)

I’ve looked at the rate per kWh at charging stations in the location where we are staying overnight this weekend and at 55p-57p/kWh, according to my maths, a full charge to do 45 miles would cost circa £8 whereas a gallon of petrol to do the same 45 miles, which appears to be possible, at £1.76/litre would cost the same £8. Hence, at the moment with high energy costs and lowering petrol prices charging the car only makes financial sense at home, especially if you managed to fix a low tariff ahead of the rising energy prices.

If the electricity rates of over 40p/kWh remains for the foreseeable, the days of electric cars are numbered.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, RXtoNX said:

I’ve looked at the rate per kWh at charging stations in the location where we are staying overnight this weekend and at 55p-57p/kWh, according to my maths, a full charge to do 45 miles would cost circa £8 whereas a gallon of petrol to do the same 45 miles, which appears to be possible, at £1.76/litre would cost the same £8. Hence, at the moment with high energy costs and lowering petrol prices charging the car only makes financial sense at home, especially if you managed to fix a low tariff ahead of the rising energy prices.

Can now confirm!  I have an alternative charging service (Electric Juice) and found a supported charger this morning.  Cost to fully charge the vehicle was £14.38 (!!!). It is deffo not economical to charge the vehicle away from home.  Also not sure why it takes 2hrs 30mins to fully charge on my 7kw home charger and 2hrs 20mins to fully charge on a 24kw charger.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fourbanks said:

Good to hear that you've managed to be able to use a good garage. Down here in the south of England, i'd be very surprised to find that to be the case. i'll keep my eyes open 

I’ve been using Lexus Swindon since 2017 and they’ve never been anything other than exceptional.

Used Aylesbury Honda for a good few years prior to that, also excellent.

I’ve owned my 2004 MINI Cooper from new, and all the MINI dealers I have used over the years - apart from one poor experience in Milton Keynes in 2005/6 - have also been very good indeed.

The only dealers I’ve ever found to be poor were Volkswagen when I had a couple of Polos and later a Tiguan. They were all hopeless (Keith Garages in Aylesbury and Citygate Chalfont and Watford).

Either I’ve been very lucky or you’ve been very unlucky! 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

I’ve been using Lexus Swindon since 2017 and they’ve never been anything other than exceptional.

Used Aylesbury Honda for a good few years prior to that, also excellent.

I’ve owned my 2004 MINI Cooper from new, and all the MINI dealers I have used over the years - apart from one poor experience in Milton Keynes in 2005/6 - have also been very good indeed.

The only dealers I’ve ever found to be poor were Volkswagen when I had a couple of Polos and later a Tiguan. They were all hopeless (Keith Garages in Aylesbury and Citygate Chalfont and Watford).

Either I’ve been very lucky or you’ve been very unlucky! 

Nice ed 

i'm sure there won't be any members singing any sort of praise for any of the Lexus dealers in the south. All the people I have ever known have said great on the purchase and get lost with any other sort of problem or that's not under warranty and then costs you hundreds if not thousands for a fix. 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, fourbanks said:

i'm sure there won't be any members singing any sort of praise for any of the Lexus dealers in the south. 

Sorry to disappoint, Nick.  I’ve had outstanding service from Lexus MK - possibly the best I’ve ever had from a dealership.

Mind you, my previous Accord from Honda MK ran it pretty close.  In fact when it was written off by an HGV on the M25, I called them to order a replacement - only to discover the Accord had been discontinued in the UK.

If anything it is I who disappoint Lexus MK.  They call regularly trying to sell me a new Lexus.  Unfortunately, they can’t convince me that there’s one better than the one I already have!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, LenT said:

Sorry to disappoint, Nick.  I’ve had outstanding service from Lexus MK - possibly the best I’ve ever had from a dealership.

Mind you, my previous Accord from Honda MK ran it pretty close.  In fact when it was written off by an HGV on the M25, I called them to order a replacement - only to discover the Accord had been discontinued in the UK.

If anything it is I who disappoint Lexus MK.  They call regularly trying to sell me a new Lexus.  Unfortunately, they can’t convince me that there’s one better than the one I already have!

Thanks, Len 🙂 you're taking south-east not south and that's a big difference. Having said that, it's good to know that things are working out well with your dealer and hope that continues 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, fourbanks said:

… you're taking south-east not south and that's a big difference. 

With respect Nick, ‘south’ is what you were talking about too! 🙂

But if you’ve had a bad experience with a Lexus dealer, then this is certainly the place to let other owners know.  Only by ‘naming and shaming’ do some companies get incentivised to improve.

If I have cause to be dissatisfied with Lexus MK, I’ll make it known.   But equally it’s only fair to praise when deserved.

This is the list of current Lexus dealers.  Is there nothing in the south east in which you might have confidence?

https://www.lexus.co.uk/centres

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

Hideously off-topic, but…😆

To some extent I feel I can stand aloof from this debate.  Being South Northamptonshire we are - technically- East Midlands.  So neither one thing nor the other!  😊

7 hours ago, talaipwros said:

Good morning, can you ge a bit more specific? Thanks

Yeah, of course.

I’ve had an ongoing issue with the driver profiles not loading. Engaged with Lexus central support and after a few rounds of email ping pong they couldn’t resolve. Nor could my dealer. I eventually found a Lexus USA tech sheet online which fixed the problem, but it is a bit of a bodge since we’re having to use separate keys. 
The app is not stable. It skips journeys, gets location wrong and has a bit of an issue with confusing miles and kilometres. I’ve also got an annoying notification to my phone from the car advising that one of the doors is not shut properly. This is spurious and on checking the doors are properly closed. My dealer suggested the problem was my phone???

As I said, it’s all new equipment and functionality and likely to require some debugging but I’m more than 6 months into ownership and tbh it’s detracting from my enjoyment of ownership.

On the positive side; the car is great to drive and extremely comfortable. The smart stuff that does work as advertised like the adaptive cruise and LTA is great. I am also impressed with the whole EV/HV functions, which operates seamlessly.

Lexus need to get their finger out and fix known issues!

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links