Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Toyota IQ

PCM

Hello,

I'm curious, as, depending on the outcome of my RX MOT ( my wife has a newer RX ), I have thought about getting a Toyota IQ as a small (!) runabout.

Does anyone here have one or experience of one ( manual or auto, 1.0 or 1.3 )?

Regards.

I have hired one for a day, (it was ok, but I wasn't concentrating on it to be honest)

If you weren't considering buying a new one (and thus persuade the dealership to lend you one for the day) had you considered hiring one?   (If one's available - It won't be expensive)

• Like 1

One of the more interesting cars from a design point it is literally engineering on a cm2. Steeringrack, engine placing, gearbox, shocks all had to be developed from scratch i guess it did teach toyota a thing or two about small car design. Note this is not a micro car that traditionally are simple in lay out and design the IQ really is special and for that is well sought after. When sold new it was more expensive than the bigger Yaris. Reminds me a bit about the Audi A2 another engineering masterpiece. Get one you wont regret it! ( and will be able to sell it without a loss..)

• Like 2

Had one for a few years now. 1.0 CVT. Has been bullet proof so far. Only niggle is white paint on bonnet is poor and flakes off. Not as good mpg as I would have hoped.

Probs 55mpg. My Jazz 1.5 gets 10 more.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dutchie01 said:

One of the more interesting cars from a design point it is literally engineering on a cm2. Steeringrack, engine placing, gearbox, shocks all had to be developed from scratch i guess it did teach toyota a thing or two about small car design. Note this is not a micro car that traditionally are simple in lay out and design the IQ really is special and for that is well sought after. When sold new it was more expensive than the bigger Yaris. Reminds me a bit about the Audi A2 another engineering masterpiece. Get one you wont regret it! ( and will be able to sell it without a loss..)

The original A2 was a wonderful car.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

The original A2 was a wonderful car.

My wife had one, a car ahead of its time and completely aluminium. When it rained it was like beeing in a caravan. I think it was only 850kgs and the design was like nothing else on the road. However reliability was dreadful with all sorts of issues but electronics were the number one nightmare. The engine just died when driving without warning so no servo or steering help. I honestly did not believe my wife until it happened to me when overtaking a car on a b road ( lucky she wasnt there!). Oh and the rear wheels would jam/block stop turning when driving. Apparently because the drum brakes did not need servicing.cleaning.. Anyway we changed to an A3 that also was  a total ****box on wheels again with all sorts of electronical issues. These were new cars mind you! 

Fast forward 15 year and we just bought a Q2, 1 yr old with 30k km. and i was not surprised that after only 6 months the driveshaft was gone. And the wheelbearings.. Vorspung durch technik anyone?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Sweet little car. Easy to find parking space for.

Bernard, you have not been lucky with Audi.

VW Lupo was the original 3L/100km and I know an old lady that had a Lupo still working just great, 4 years since I saw her. 3L/100km is not more correct than the mileage other factories claim and only possible with the original tyres and a very light foot on the speeder pedal, but when the car was made it was a statement and I think real fine thing to make.

• Like 2

My parents had two iQs - one manual, one auto. The auto is still - touch wood - going strong and being driven by my stepson. Brilliant cars, a hoot to drive, well built. solid as a rock and utterly reliable (except if it isn't driven for extended periods, i.e. months on end, as the Battery tends to go flat!)

• Like 2

Thank you for all the feedback.

Really useful and much appreciated.

I will let you all know what transpires...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well... subject to collecting it, having paid a deposit, I've bought one.

Seemed to be the best I could find. Solid service history, HPI clear, clean as MOT, looks immaculate, drives well.

Less than 50,000 miles and a 2014 Q2.

Just the Q2 manual. But its quality and provenance made me do it.

Good price too.

SO many out there are not as described, poor MOT history, odd stories, private posing as traders etc...

• 5 months later...

This is the little chap I bought 6 months ago...

It's like a mini Lexus.

Same heated, folding mirrors, photochromic rear view mirror, climate control, auto lights and wipers etc...

IMG_4472.JPG

• Like 4

2 hours ago, PCM said:

This is the little chap I bought 6 months ago...

It's like a mini Lexus.

Same heated, folding mirrors, photochromic rear view mirror, climate control, auto lights and wipers etc...

IMG_4472.JPG

Very nice Piers. I am sure that it will serve you well.

• Thanks 1

On 8/12/2022 at 12:39 PM, PCM said:

Hello,

I'm curious, as, depending on the outcome of my RX MOT ( my wife has a newer RX ), I have thought about getting a Toyota IQ as a small (!) runabout.

Does anyone here have one or experience of one ( manual or auto, 1.0 or 1.3 )?

Regards.

Guy I know Has one and simply loves it Cars Of Glasgow His name is Thomas Dobie...

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

If you need anything for it and I`m sure you won`t it is virtually a Daihatsu.

I bet you didn`t know that old pal.

? I thought it was an Aston Martin where does the Daihatsu connection come in here?

• Like 1