Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Brake fluid change

Chammers

My LC500 is having is being serviced at the beginning of September when it will be 3 years old. Lexus are pushing me to have the brake fluid changed (£45). As I have only done 10,200 miles should this be neccessary?

It's recommended to be changed every 2 years, regardless of mileage, or car.

Not sure on current Lexus servicing practices, but the brake fluid change was included in a biannual "major" service a few years ago...

If the car has been serviced by Lexus previously, I would question why they think it should be changed again.

Brake fluid absorbs moisture over time which lowers it's boiling point and could leave you with no brakes on a long downhill if the fluid boils. Dot 4 brake fluid is better than dot 3. Not sure what Lexus use in their newer cars but thought all newer cars used dot 4 by now 

4 hours ago, Chammers said:

My LC500 is having is being serviced at the beginning of September when it will be 3 years old. Lexus are pushing me to have the brake fluid changed (£45). As I have only done 10,200 miles should this be neccessary?

that's good value, I am changing brake fluids ( the car contacted the garage via its app), in a couple of weeks, it costs £69

considering you have a nice LC500, I think you should do it, no questions asked

Brake fluid should be changed before it absorbs water.

Funny thing is:

All DOT 3, 4 and 5.1 brake fluids are compatible with each other and with all systems. All are polyethylene glycol-based fluids will not harm healthy rubber parts. Also, the additive packages will not damage or distort any rubber parts

and that Shimano use mineral oil in their brakes, both for road and heavy mountain downhill and tell not to use dot brake fluid, while Hope use dot brake fluid in their brakes and tell that different dot types cannot be mixed.

Change brake fluid - 45£ is not worth saving if that can cause brakes to be less efficient.  😇

image.thumb.png.c54d9372a5d28b026754852bf7019068.png         image.thumb.png.155b914f508d4958a7ff3f53d55df62e.png

Curiously, mine has been serviced by Lexus 4 times since birth and I can't find any mention of fluid change(s) on any service record. In fairness, the service info is a little lacking/vague in all regards. However, I have checked the water content with a "tester" and all is good, and the fluid colour looks fresh. For comparison, I also checked one other car and that showed a little over 1% water content.

I suspect/hope Lexus just include the fluid change as per any mandated service requirement but from experience to be charged £45 or indeed (albeit only just) £69 sounds like good value and especially when I compare it to what my BMW used to cost. Who'd have thought it, Lexus trumping BMW!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links