Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Test Drove An Altezza!

OLI_EP3

Well, as you know I've been looking at Altezzas and located one which wasn't too far away from me.

I popped down there on saturday to see this gorgeous Altezza..........

I was offered a test drive and took her out. The car is soooooo nice to drive, the response was good and in total honesty it drove nicer than the wifey's Civic Type R, in terms of handling and speed. The car did have a few mods that I'm aware of but may have had more. GAB coilovers, Aftermarket exhaust as far as I know.

The ride was stiff, the exhaust note was loud. It was schweeeeeeet. I want.

The only concerns to me were the mileage and a strange 'snapping' noise it made (once)

a) The mileage was about 60k miles, do I need to be concerned about this?? (no service history :ph34r:

B) The 'cracking' noise occured only once. It was felt and heard in the following scenario: When I reversed full lock in one direction, stopped went forward in full lock in other direction and as I went to stop to a stand still (applying brakes) it made a knocking/cracking noise as the calipers gripped and stopped. I don't have a clue what made that noise but it only happened that one time that I made that manouver and just as I stopped. Any ideas????

Sorry I can't explain it better :(

Do I need to be concerned - I haven't made the purchase yet...........

I'm sure there's been a thread about this before,

As far as I can remember you've hit the nail on the head, I think it's the pads moving in the calipers as you change direction.

I know I'll be corrected if I'm wrong!!

Whitie> The year of car is a 99.

I'm sure the noise was made towards the end of the test drive. It didn't happen while driving along the roads, only when I made that certain manouver. I.e. stop, reverse full lock, stop, forward full lock, then as I come to a stand still (coming out of junction) it made the noise. When I was flooring it in all gears and braking for bends etc there was no noise.... I should have mentioned it, but the price was too much anyway (guy wouldn't budge)

KSP, Whitie & AltezzaScott> I was hoping my train of thought was right, in thinking it was the brakes somehow cheers gents....:ooh-ducky:

Next........

60k miles an issue?? :unsure:

The brakes will only clunk when you are going very slowly / changing from forwards to backwards or visa versa.

60k Get the Timing belt changed, as unlike the is200 the Altezza should have it done every 100k KM ( 62000miles)...( I know i will get corrected)

With no service history, you are always taking a chance on if the oil has been chaged regularly etc...

TonyGoose  Posted on Apr 19 2004, 01:36 PM        Either pads moving in calipers as discussed or possibly balljoints.

No signs of knocking over VERY bumpy surfaces amplified by the super stiff GAB coilovers, could this still be ball joints?

AltezzaScott  Posted on Apr 19 2004, 01:40 PM        The brakes will only clunk when you are going very slowly / changing from forwards to backwards or visa versa.

60k Get the Timing belt changed, as unlike the is200 the Altezza should have it done every 100k KM ( 62000miles)...( I know i will get corrected)

With no service history, you are always taking a chance on if the oil has been chaged regularly etc...

Agreed.......

Oli,

When was it imported?

What I'm getting at is how many miles has it done over here? and how many in Japan?

As far as servicing goes, I won't have mine done at a main dealer, but I will still keep all the invoices for documentation, so I would expect some proof of servicing if it has done the majority of it's miles over here. Then again, how much is being knocked off for no SH? Personally, I would expect at least a grand for no proof, probably more.

Might be worth an AA/RAC check for peace of mind.

With that proviso, sounds pretty good to me, provided you can live with the GAB suspension. it will be nice to see you finally kitted out. :D

Shotwood>

I'm closer to getting there but still no altezza in my garage. the GAB's were very nice although f**k off stiff!! (Handles soooo well with them, hope your new coilovers are just as sweet)

They are traders and the price is pretty much fixed (much to my disappointment) I'm tempted to get one imported, instead of wasting time pondering over little things and logging on to autotrader EVERYDAY!

BTW do you have to put a certain octane rated petrol in your car seeing as it's a aftermarket ECU?

My brakes clunk at car park speeds.

It's actually the compression ratio of the engine that would require the higher octane fuel. I was recommended super at least once every three tankfuls - but it tends to be more economical on the more expensive stuff and it just about balances out so I use super whenever I can.

oli,

60 k is not high miles imo. And to be honest i wouldnt be too worried abt the lack of service history as imported cars rarely come with that and even if they do who knows if they're genuine? however you could use this point in bargaining and getting the cars price down.

You can rest assure that who ever had the car b4 if he could afford to buy a lexus then surely they must have been able to afford getting it serviced. And from what i have heard they keep their cars in a lot better shape in japan than they do over here as there are certain laws in japan with regards to cars which are a lot stricter than what they are over here.

So i wont worry abt those 2 things really especially if the car looks in good condition. However you should get the cambelt changed and get it serviced your self.

And i would suggest you get a full inspection by someone you know or by the AA or RAC. Apart from that what happens is just your luck.