Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

NX450h data connection and window sunroof opening?

Silly question time.

I thought I read somewhere that you get a data allowance with Lexus for your car for three years for the communications link. I mentioned this to the dealer and you would have thought I had grown another head. So...... how does the car communicate when you want to  do the trick things shown on the Lexus site, and if so has it got a sim card of its own and where is it fitted? 

Another question.... Is the car set up to open windows and sunroof via the fob as standard or do you have to get this set up by the dealer? 

16 days and counting..........

3 hours ago, Barry7 said:

Silly question time.

I thought I read somewhere that you get a data allowance with Lexus for your car for three years for the communications link. I mentioned this to the dealer and you would have thought I had grown another head. So...... how does the car communicate when you want to  do the trick things shown on the Lexus site, and if so has it got a sim card of its own and where is it fitted? 

Another question.... Is the car set up to open windows and sunroof via the fob as standard or do you have to get this set up by the dealer? 

16 days and counting..........

Re the windows and sunroof...  On the new NX, you have to use the US variants of words, so...  Sunroof = Moonroof and use the "hey Lexus" command to tell the car what you want. To be fair it has always worked for me, which is something with todays voice controlled vehicles.  

The fob doesn't work trying to open/close windows and roof automatically...

The owner's handbook (page 798 ) suggests the global opening of the windows and moon roof when unlocking the doors is a customisation feature that must be enabled by the dealership. One can choose between having the moon roof open either slide or tilt as well.

I had this function enabled on collection of my RC (I can't choose the moon roof variables though)

Have a word with your dealership, they can enable it prior to collection 

• Like 2

I was informed that the data allowance is actually 4 years. As has already been said the voice command system works well- moonroof, wipers etc etc.

You may be disappointed by the data connection.

I believe it's got a non-removable SIM card and is locked to the Orange network. It's also expensive with (if I remember correctly) just 2GB data being about a tenner. I may be wrong because I'm only going from memory about a past post I saw in here.

You're probably better buying your own SIM-unlocked mobile router and using a SIM of your choice in it.

Herbie,s right.It has an e SIM through the orange network and is very expensive.You can,t go out and buy a cheap data SIM and put it in yourself.As far as I understand,few people use it.

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE: Spoke to Lexus UK via chat today and this was the response to my question:

Has the car got its own sim card to enable it to have a data connection. If so is this a free data connection, and for how long?

Message from Agent.

Good question!
The NX 450h has an embedded SIM card within a DCM unit.

Message from Agent.

The connectivity is offered free of charge for 4 years from the point you register the Multimedia (logging in within the car using your Lexus account details).

Message from Agent.

this will ensure that your mapping is kept always up to date, and the Lexus Link connected services will operate without needing anything else!

Message from Visitor.

Great! So when this runs out what is the on going cost please.

Message from Agent.

Another good question.. to be very honest, we have not yet been informed what the re-subscription costs will be! 

Message from Agent.

I can assure you that our Connected Car teams here in the UK are also very excited to learn what the costs will be. I'm sorry that I can't share that information yet.