Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

More VCS and Christmas lights

Well today was MOT day and service day. However yesterday almost all the dash lights came on and I totally lost power steering. I'd also noticed my nextbase 322GW was playing up in that it was switching itself off and on. Anyway I just about got home and disconnected the Battery fir 45 minutes. After that things back to normal but I thought I'd better get a new Battery as the on in the car was probably past it. Anyway on the way to Halfords just a half mile away all the lights came back on and loss of power steering. Bought a yuasa Battery and a smart charger. Noticed that the new Battery had a sticker recommending a recharge. Got home just and put the new Battery on charge. The smart charger info said once the charger showed full it was OK to leave it plugged in as it would maintain the Battery. Anyway I got up in the night saw it was full so unplugged it all. 

This morning I fitted the new fully charged Battery, an uprated one and started the car. Oh whilst at Halfords when I went to start the car it only just started and I mean only just. The car didn't start on the first button but on the second it purred into life. No dash lights. I didn't have the dash cam connected to the screen, more about that later. Got the car to Stockport Lexus and told them of my plight yesterday and that they check the charging system. 

I had it booked in also to change the rear diff oil and to my surprise no charge. Wow.

Phone call a few hours later saying charging system good. They recommended the air conditioner fluid be changed and that since my cars front wheels were showing toe-in I had the wheel alignment done too. 

Advisories on scuffed wheels and chipped tyres and lips on rear discs but not that bad.

Curtesy car now then I was pleasantly surprised. UX300e. What a car. Never driven an EV before but this car is outstanding. Yes just a 165 mile range if you have some electrics on like radio air con etc. I really like this car.

Right the nextbase. I was talking with the guy at Stockport who said there were cases where because of the high heat recently that some units suffered with batteries bulging slightly. I had mine on Charge via my laptop for over 6 hours but it just wasn't holding charge.

So my Sunday of mega dash lights were down to the dash cam turning itself off and on and with a poor 12v Battery the car thought oh pooh something going on really bad.

My old Battery has been on charge for 5 hours now. It started off showing 11.7v. It's now showing 12.3v. Not a good showing after 5 hours.

So the moral of this and VCS is make sure your 12v Battery is in very good health. Just because it shows just below 12v doesn't mean it's in good health. It's worthwhile charging the Battery off the car every 2 years from what I've read. That's what I'm going to do. 

As fir the nextbase? I've binned it. Ordered a new one. The old one I'd got 2 years ago as a reconditioned unit from nextbase themselves. I think with its duff Battery it might have been messing up other more sensitive electronics in the car.

So here's to another year's motoring trouble free one hopes. New discs and pads will be bought soon.

• Like 2

Yes, hopefully that'll be the end of your woes.

I've read/heard about hot weather being problematic for some dashcams with exploding batteries etc. I think mine has a capacitor instead of a Battery, so less of an issue.

Anyway it sounds like your wallet took a pounding these past few days, Vlad!

• Like 1

The Battery was just over a ton. 40 quid for the charger. £170 for aircon fluid and wheel alignment. So yes wallet took a pounding lol but that over 2 years of ownership isn't bad considering the age of the car.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

The battery was just over a ton. 40 quid for the charger. £170 for aircon fluid and wheel alignment. So yes wallet took a pounding lol but that over 2 years of ownership isn't bad considering the age of the car.

You mean air con gas? Kwikfit do it for £59 for our cars. As for alignment, a really good garage by me does a laser alignment for ~£70 so to say it was all done by Lexus for 170 isn't too bad! Only 40 quid difference and all done at the same time, I would've had to travel to 2 different places. I'm surprised they didn't charge for the diff oil though. I think it only takes 1.1L anyway, but still. 

I was a little taken a back by the price of the wheel alignment but there again I had no idea of how much it would cost elsewhere. Yes aircon gas, my bad. I was told over the phone after I asked about the rear diff oil change. I asked for that late May when they phoned me about the cars service and MOT. I asked for them to get back to me with a quote but none given. So within the phone call I mentioned no quote given and he replied don't worry we won't charge you. So overall very happy. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

I was a little taken a back by the price of the wheel alignment but there again I had no idea of how much it would cost elsewhere. Yes aircon gas, my bad. I was told over the phone after I asked about the rear diff oil change. I asked for that late May when they phoned me about the cars service and MOT. I asked for them to get back to me with a quote but none given. So within the phone call I mentioned no quote given and he replied don't worry we won't charge you. So overall very happy. 

That's really good!

Well another VSC error could be a faulty alternator. Confirmed today mine is shot. Going back to Stockport Lexus as they have them, I've tried a few places but none have them or can find them as they say must be a back order. Price for alternator actually cheaper than places ive tried but 3 hours labour. It has to be done. My car is worth it. £800 is a stinger but of 28 cars I've had this is only the 2nd time I've needed an alternator so it's not that bad. They lending me a car too which I need as I'm off to the east coast for a few days tomorrow. 

The new Battery I bought was down to 11.7v and it doesn't change when the car starts.

Thanks Sean but I need a car for tomorrow and buying online isn't an option unfortunately. Its just one of those things. Pay nowt for years then BANG pay lots one year. My car is simply worth it. Nothing out there comes close for the money. 

@Mr Vlad can't you just get it reconditioned? If you can use a different car for a few days, it's much better way to do it, financially anyway.. it'd work out cheaper even if you had to rent a car for a couple of days lol.

Lucas. I tried to get through to a reconditioner just a few miles away but no joy. Plus car rental isn't as good value as it used to be from what I've found. Yes I'm paying top dollar but it's not that much dearer than alternatives. 

5 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

Lucas. I tried to get through to a reconditioner just a few miles away but no joy. Plus car rental isn't as good value as it used to be from what I've found. Yes I'm paying top dollar but it's not that much dearer than alternatives. 

oh 😕 at least you'll get it sorted for good! What mileage is your car on just out of curiosity? I thought my alternator was bad when my car kept dying but it turned out to be the fact that it was on the original Battery for 11 years

I took my car to Stockport Lexus today and picked up a UX250h. Ruddy good car. Got a call from them not long after I got to Bridlington and was told alternator knackered. 88k old 2007 car. @hit happens. I've been lucky with my cars and this is the 2nd car that's needed a new alternator. 

Loving the UX and I'd defo get one if I could afford it. 

Mines at 87000 now, oh dear.

Anyways, get why you would just bite the bullet and take it lexus.

Took mine to a garage id never used before yesterday. Last thurs spoke to a guy about doing back brakes and discs and a service. We agreed a price and i dropped it at the correct time arranged. Was greeted by a guy sat there eating a sandwich, his first words were "why do you want the brakes doing"?

I thought, thats a bit daft and got the impression they really couldn't be assed doing the brakes.

I calls back at 5 and low and behold, he says they didnt have time to do the brakes and asked me to come back sat for those.

WTF, anyways wont be going back.

Paid £160 for fresh oil, oil and air filter and a bit of grease here and there. Would usually do it myself but wanted the brakes doing so thought what the hell, this time.

Will drive the 12 miles back to my old garage in future.

I suppose alternators last a short time or a long time. I'd fall in the short time as I suspect the original owner did. I do short trios to work. Last job was 5am start. This job now 2am start. So I do half my driving in the dark. Plus I always have the air con on and my music. So it's far enough to say short journeys kill electric items sooner than long journeys. 

Sean to do brakes on a car is one of the very easiest jobs. Look on YouTube and replace your brakes yourself. You'll have a good feeling after you've done it. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links