Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New owner lc500h... unfair reviews

Omarlc500

Hi all,

So I indulged I bought myself a rather nice lc500H sport plus it was a tough decision against the v8 but I took the chance and I think I made the right decision.  I carried out a lot of computer based research as I did not have the time to test drive the cars disappointingly the hybrid car didn't take to the mainstream journalists and I'm actually glad I didn't base my decision on the negative to reviews giving the hybrid a chance.

Came a across a more real world review so I thought I'd share this for the folk who are on the fence on which car to go for.

enjoy...

https://roadrugcars.com/lexus-lc-500h/

• Like 5

Indeed, there is some negativity and I think largely because of the car's transmission being something of a mishmash of expectations. A "conventional" 4 speed automatic paired to a cvt with the latter having artificial "gear changes" to simulate an overall 10 speed auto box. Yes it does lose the plot occasionally and when you've driven it a while you know when to expect, shall we say, odd behaviour, but for day to day use it performs perfectly adequately. Again I have seen some moan about the 0 to 60 time as if the V8 is twice as fast, when in reality the official figures suggest 4.7 for h and 4.5 for the V8! Don't get me wrong, I would love a V8 (and its phenomenal soundtrack) but preferably with the h's mpg. I'm also sure the extra power may come in useful, but I already find myself pushing the boundary more than I should and I think the V8 would seduce me to misbehave more than is good for my licence!

FYI, the following is also a positive review of the "h" and by "Savage Geese". Given his credentials, someone who is probably more qualified to assess than many other reviewers. SG Review

BTW, thanks for your submission, most interesting.

• Like 1

I own a LC500 and love it, especially the sound when I accelerate. I question the sound in a LC500h. If it is an everyday car and mileage is important I can understand why someone would favor the hybrid however if it is not an everyday care as most are and or mileage is not important there is no comparison.

6 hours ago, RiverFred said:

I own a LC500 and love it, especially the sound when I accelerate. I question the sound in a LC500h. If it is an everyday car and mileage is important I can understand why someone would favor the hybrid however if it is not an everyday care as most are and or mileage is not important there is no comparison.

Totally agree. Driven both back to back. The V8, I see as a Japanese Aston Martin. Something special. The hybrid…… if I was worried about economy, I would look elsewhere.

Real world, I’m told the V8 can be very frugal! How much better is the hybrid?

Having said all that, each to their own 👍

Buying LC in hybrid to have few more miles per gallon 🤯 Thanks! Now I have the best joke for this weekend already:) It does not even deserve to comment it any further…

I get the impression the 'h is a better long distance cruiser, if I was doing a lot of miles the mpg wouldn't worry me - but not having to fill up as often would be a factor.

Certainly don't think anyone should be on the receiving end of any *****-take for having an h! 

• Like 2

A few months ago I posted on this Forum after looking on Autoscout.com to see what used LC500s were being offered for sale in Continental Europe.  More than half of the approximately 60 listed were German-registered and not a single one of the latter was the hybrid model, and the same went for Belgium and Holland.  The few hybrids for sale were in Italy, which I supposed was because the bhp-related annual road tax is 40% higher for the V8 (€1231 v. €878) with the bearing on insurance being proportionately similar.  I now imagine the picture in favour of the hybrid will become consolidated in Italy and possibly go in the same direction in Germany and elsewhere simply because of vastly increased fuel prices.  The difference between 15km/l (35mpg) for the hybrid and 11km/l (25mpg) for the V8, which I understand to be the realistic average consumption figures for each, is now adding up to a lot of money, especially in countries where long drives, even multiple-tank ones, are not uncommon.

7 minutes ago, Rabbers said:

The difference between 15km/l (35mpg) for the hybrid and 11km/l (25mpg) for the V8, which I understand to be the realistic average consumption figures for each, is now adding up to a lot of money, especially in countries where long drives, even multiple-tank ones, are not uncommon.

I suspect fuel economy is not top of the requirements list for the majority of LC500 owners.

51 minutes ago, Spock66 said:

I suspect fuel economy is not top of the requirements list for the majority of LC500 owners.

Not top of the list, or even close to it, but surely it is somewhere in the mix of thoughts about whether to choose the hybrid or the V8?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Rabbers said:

Not top of the list, or even close to it, but surely it is somewhere in the mix of thoughts about whether to choose the hybrid or the V8?

I think there is still a certain cachet in owning a big V8 regardless of fuel economy, look at the Mustang hardly anyone bought the EcoBoost so it was dropped.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/ford-mustang-goes-v8-only-23-litre-ecoboost-option-axed

1 hour ago, Spock66 said:

I think there is still a certain cachet in owning a big V8 ….

Absolutely.  And if the numbers of used LC500 V8s offered for sale in Germany are a direct reflection of customer preference since launch, which I presume they are, it could be argued that Lexus should be thinking of withdrawing the hybrid like Ford in the case of the 4-cylinder Mustang (though I would think that Lexus Germany has already been shifting unsold inventory across other markets).  However, I would doubt that it ever would, simply because the marque’s interests at present and in the immediate future are too deeply rooted in its proprietary hybrid technology.

Thanks for all of the thoughts opinions some really valid points aswell as some very shallow ones 🙂.. to be quite honest as hybrid owner of this model I personally was not overly worried about mpg but saw it as a bonus.. but more importantly I was intrigued by the sophistication of the technology and how the powertrain comes together as a daily vehicle.  When I'm driving the car in different circumstances I find it fascinating how the hybrid has so many different personalities between the 4 speed box, the assistance of the motor  at low speeds as well as flat out...  I really think the powertrain is highly underrated /underappreciated until you live with it. 

Just so our v8 audience dont feel left out Yes v8 sounds awesome and has the je ne sais quoi that mass petrol head market is looking for and would still love to experience one as a daily ... maybe one day 🙂

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Omarlc500 said:

Thanks for all of the thoughts opinions some really valid points aswell as some very shallow ones 🙂.. to be quite honest as hybrid owner of this model I personally was not overly worried about mpg but saw it as a bonus.. but more importantly I was intrigued by the sophistication of the technology and how the powertrain comes together as a daily vehicle.  When I'm driving the car in different circumstances I find it fascinating how the hybrid has so many different personalities between the 4 speed box, the assistance of the motor  at low speeds as well as flat out...  I really think the powertrain is highly underrated /underappreciated until you live with it. 

Just so our v8 audience dont feel left out Yes v8 sounds awesome and has the je ne sais quoi that mass petrol head market is looking for and would still love to experience one as a daily ... maybe one day 🙂

Well written 👍

As I said, each to their own.

You drive a beautiful car that you love. Winner! 👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Omarlc500 said:

What we really need now is some pics! 🙂 😎

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links