Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Reliability - Choice of year?

I am looking to buy a IS250 F sport.

I have never owned one before.

Does any recommend a certain year over the other? I am looking at F sports from 2008-2013 this include pre facelifts and facelifts too.

I have been told the older models are not CVT but dual clutch.

Is CVT better or the older dual clutches?

Anything help would be appreciated.

Dual clutch have been giving VW a few problems with some of their cars, while other DSG were absolutely bullet proof. Had a 2.0tdi DSG Golf 2005, never had a gearbox problem. 200.000km.

CVT in the CT we have is great for us, but some do not like them.

There's no DCT in a IS250 F-Sport, or CVT, or even a manual option. It has a traditional torque converter auto box (6 speed).

Since you mentioned 2008-2013, I'll assume you're interested in the 2nd-Gen IS. The F-Sport model was only available from 2010-2013.

The first version was sold for the 2010 model year and was very well-equipped (almost SE-L spec). It was replaced with an updated version for MY2011 which wasn't quite as well-equipped, but had a more unique sporty & aggressive look.

There's no real difference in terms of reliability regarding facelift or pre-facelift. The main difference is cosmetic or in terms of specification.

Pre-facelift 2010 model has a few more toys and standard equipment - memory seats, auto-fold mirrors, electrically-adjustable steering wheel, and can be specced with Mark Levinson audio system.

Facelift model doesn't have any of those previously-mentioned features. On the flipside, it looks a bit more modern and unique compared to the rest of the IS range thanks to the facelift bumper/spoiler and dark headlights. It also benefits from slightly better fuel economy and lower road tax.

I've owned both variants, and personally, I prefer the looks of the 2011+ version that I have now, but the    higher equipment level of the 2010 car was nice and  can't be ignored, even if most of it is largely irrelevant once you've set the controls to your preference.

The Mark Levinson stereo is a definite upgrade over the "normal" 13-speaker system in a facelift car, but it's not night and day, and the normal stereo is still really good. All versions have both USB and Bluetooth connectivity.

3 hours ago, Isaac5099 said:

Does any recommend a certain year over the other? I am looking at F sports from 2008-2013 this include pre facelifts and facelifts too.

Mileage, condition and service history are more important when purchasing a car of this age.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links