Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Problem Acceleration

I think I have a problem with acceleration in revs over 5000.

My car goes well until it reaches 5000 1/min (in every gear). Then you can see that there is less power.

I reach 190km/h quick and then its like riding a snail. Even don't get my car over 210 km/h or into the limiter (like ever before). It takes veeeerrryy long to reach 210 km/h. Normally the cars goes up into the limiter, driving around 225km/h.

My last mods where a new catback and bigger tyres (225/40R18). Both mods where done at the same time. So I don't know what gets me this problem.

What do you think gets me this lack of power?

For me I think I have a problem with the exhaust-system (pressure or interferenz?).

Perhaps I have to swap my wheels back on winterwheels and have a test-drive. :yack:

Thanks for your suggestions.

Andi

Does it feel like a sudden loss of power when you hit 5000 revs or is it just a gradual thing? Could be a loss of pressure but I would have thought this would be just as pronounced at lower revs too. Have you tried reseting the ECU? If it feels a bit like hitting the limiter then it might be that the ECU has picked up a problem.

I doubt a change of tyres would make any difference.

Its a sudden loss. You can see the speed-needle increasing and suddenly it goes up a bit slower. Happens around 5000-5300 revs. Just when the engine is at top of power output.

I did a ECU-Reset yesterday, drove around sporty but no difference. Very slow acceleration from 190-215. And I don't get her at topspeed.

If it's a sudden loss then it sounds like the ECU stepping in.

Either the ECU thinks something is wrong, or there is something wrong - either way, I think your only option is to have Lexus take a look at it.

(I'm guessing there's no cheap/easy way to have a look at the ECU diagnostics).

Is it possible to read the fault codes like it is done in this link? Lexus

Yes, your IS200 is a 99 isn't it?

It'll have OBD2 so you'll need a diagnostic reader (and they're not exactly cheap!).

You can only read via OBD-II not the simple method.

PC based OBD-II readers can be brought for £55 upwards.

is this since getting the budinski exhaust.if so check the main exhaust lambda sensor wires.

Jens had this problem on his after fitment of the budinski exhaust, the lambda sensor wires were all twisted up :angry:

I got 18'' 225er wheels and I also noticed serious problems to hit the 215 area.

It pulls great up to 200, but then it's like the brakes engaged and it takes hours to reach 215 or more.

With stock wheels I didn't have problems to get the needle to 215-220kmh.

In my opinion, bigger wheels have more aerodynamic resistance and more frictional resistance, so comes less max. speed. <_<