Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Buyers Beware

Just to let anyone buying a used car know of my present situation. I bought a is200se navigator 2001 in august last year, I have only done less than 6k miles atm and I got a bombshell today :ohmy: . I was parked up in town and some guy walking past mentioned that my front tyre was looking in a bad way. I went straight up to ats, however under close inspection all 4 were bold. This will cost me £680 inc fittting :crying:

So, if you gunna buy a 2 year old car check all fine details (as the guy (w :tsktsk: r) told me the car had all new alloys and tyres).

p.s. found out that the front tracking was out and the back tyres were overinflated (according to the ats guy)

Jasp

6000 miles is more than enough to knacker a set of tyres

if they are under inflated or the tracking is out

your so called guy may well have been telling the truth about new tyres

if it takes a passer by to point out your tyres are bald, perhaps you should look closer to home for someone to blame :huh:

:)

Although I do agree with the previous 2 posts, Is there anyone who at some point in their driving life hasn't only realised a tyre was a bit low when its balder than a coote? :P

P.S. How bald is a coote??? :blink:

I actually purchased the car through someone on this owners club. The car was a reasonable price and he wanted the money thay weekend (due to redundancy). I drove down, it was p!ssing it down, looked around the car, test drive, went home.

fidgits - I havn't got the tyres yet.

dobedo - is 6k miles normal for new to bold tyres (i dont do drift days)

others - 3 of the tyres are worn on the inside edge i.e. you can only see them from underneath (I love my car but im not into lying around on the floor every week or so to check the inner wall of the tyres)

you can only see them from underneath (I love my car but im not into lying around on the floor every week or so to check the inner wall of the tyres)

Anyone do this on a regular basis? .... no? ... it must be just me then.... :whistling:

By the way, I don't think a coot is actually bald so to be honest "bald as a coot" is a bit of a misnomer....

...I'll get me coat.

all, please bear in mind that many sellers often put four brand new tyres on a car just before selling in order to disguise major suspension issues which are causing the tyres to wear out unevenly etc.

If I saw a 2nd hand car with 4 brand new tyres on it for sale, I would check the invoices to see whether tracking has been done on a regular basis and whether the dealer has recommended changing shocks, bushes or not.

I'd prefer to see all four tyres with even wear at time of purchase to reassure me (however, they could have stuck on part worns!)

To go from full tread to bald in 6,000 miles is indication of a big problem with the suspension setup, if driving normally.

By the way, I don't think a coot is actually bald so to be honest "bald as a coot" is a bit of a misnomer....

...I'll get me coat.

Blame me! I did ask!!!! :duh:

Just to let anyone buying a used car know of my present situation. I bought a is200se navigator 2001 in august last year, I have only done less than 6k miles atm and I got a bombshell today :ohmy: . I was parked up in town and some guy walking past mentioned that my front tyre was looking in a bad way. I went straight up to ats, however under close inspection all 4 were bold. This will cost me £680 inc fittting :crying:

So, if you gunna buy a 2 year old car check all fine details (as the guy (w :tsktsk: r) told me the car had all new alloys and tyres).

p.s. found out that the front tracking was out and the back tyres were overinflated (according to the ats guy)

Jasp

So you've had the car a year now and you've only just noticed :ph34r:

Heres a tip for you then........check tyre pressures once a week,and whilst your down there turn the steering on full lock that way you will see if there is any tyre wear,and you should get the tracking done(minimum) twice a year. :winky:

You will lose more air pressure in the tyres if the cars not being used. ;)

Heres a tip for you then........check tyre pressures once a week,and whilst your down there turn the steering on full lock that way you will see if there is any tyre wear,and you should get the tracking done(minimum) twice a year. :winky:

Phew, it's not just me then! :winky:

I;ve had my car from new since may last year and donea bout 6500 miles. Its due for a service in 2 weeks. Do they check tracking as part of the 10k service? Should I pay extra and get the dealer to have a look? I drive around town mostly and very rarely drive the car hard.

Heres a tip for you then........check tyre pressures once a week,and whilst your down there turn the steering on full lock that way you will see if there is any tyre wear,and you should get the tracking done(minimum) twice a year.  :winky:

Phew, it's not just me then! :winky:

I check mine every month or so, just done it, 33 all round :winky:

I;ve had my car from new since may last year and donea bout 6500 miles. Its due for a service in 2 weeks. Do they check tracking as part of the 10k service? Should I pay extra and get the dealer to have a look? I drive around town mostly and very rarely drive the car hard.

Doesn't matter if you drive your car hard or not, if you drive in somewhere like London where you've got speed bumps and potholes all over the place, get it checked at least once a year, even if the service schedule doesn't list it. Certainly, with my LS400 I get decent 4 wheel laser alignment done. Some people even get it checked every 3 months if you have expensive tyres and are doing town driving all day long.

dobedo - is 6k miles normal for new to bold tyres (i dont do drift days)

yes if the pressures arent correct and the tracking is out

depending on the severity it could be less than 6000 :ohmy::crybaby:

others - 3 of the tyres are worn on the inside edge i.e. you can only see them from underneath (I love my car but im not into lying around on the floor every week or so to check the inner wall of the tyres)

sorry thats a poor excuse :huh:

heres a helping hand

go to rear of car

drop a pound coin

as you pick it up

avert eyes to left or right

see those two black things !

have a quick look !

repeat at front of car

you will be able to see a fair amount of tyre

and should be able to assertain condition

the passer by did

:)

:lol:

I have just bought 2 new 18's for mine at £100 a pop. the olds had only done 6000k but had gone balder faster in the middle. i was told later that anything over a 17" when driving hard actually flares in the middle, so my problem was my right foot was too heavy :unsure: its was an exspensive learning curve :whistling:

dobedo

I f i wanted a **** cocky reply I would ask for one.

I was basically stating the facts, giving peoples future purchasers info. As buying from the LOC should be trusted.

Next time in surrey we can chat about this

JASP

jasper

chill man

now as far as i know we are a freindly club, with trustworthy members

the point you seem to want to make is in calling the member you brought the car from , dishonest,

i think w :tsktsk: r were youre words

the fact is: that you have had the car 8 months and driven 6000 miles in it

in that time you might well have been the one who knocked the tracking out (its easily done)

a regular check on the condition of your tyres, might have helped before it got to the stage it has,

as for checking tyre pressures again if you have not checked them in 8 months then the blame must be with you, pressures will and do fluctuate

perhaps your info might have been better to have been one of a warning for people to check the items mentioned, rather than slag a member off

as for when your next in surrey, feel free to pop in for a cuppa :)

Just to let anyone buying a used car know of my present situation. I bought a is200se navigator 2001 in august last year, I have only done less than 6k miles atm and I got a bombshell today  :ohmy: . I was parked up in town and some guy walking past mentioned that my front tyre was looking in a bad way. I went straight up to ats, however under close inspection all 4 were bold. This will cost me £680 inc fittting  :crying:

Jasp

The guy that was walking past your car noticed...........why didn't you?(was he on all fours) :lol: just be thankful that it wasn't a copper :whistling:

Handbook states that you should check tyre pressures regularly,more-so if your a low user :P

There are basic checks that one does when buying a second hand car,and condition of tyres is right up the list,as is going through all the documentation :winky:

Collecting as much info as possible b4 purchasing is always helpful,as is asking questions on these boards b4 buying said car.

I've had my car 2yrs now and have done 27k on the new tyres that were on the car when i bought it,so regular tyre checks and a couple of wheel alignment checks do work.... :whistling::whistling:

Hope this helps :driving: