Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Pc

I am looking to replace by existing PC with a new one. I am not really interested in all the frills that DELL throws in like printers, speakers and the lot. What I really want is a good quality computer with lots of memory a good processor, a good graphics card and a good hard disk. Any of you guys have any recommendations? Are any members here PC assemblers?

Thanks.

whats the spec of ur existing computer?? i ask as it might be work looking into getting just a new motherboard and processor, i suppose it also all depends what you want to do with ur comp, video editing,graphics etc or some letters and internet+ a few games etc

i had a mesh computer and for me it was fine till it went wrong - could never get any support from them it took a week of constant phone calls and emails even to get a single reply :tsktsk: :tsktsk: took even longer to get someone to repair it!

fluff34567 -

This PC is over 3 years old and was bought on the cheap. Its an AMD K6(2) processor with 550 MHz, 312 MB ram, onboard graphics (16 MB) and sound card. not to sure of the motherboard. I am not sure of the form factor. I hope its an ATX but might be an AT. In any case I dont see too much sense in upgrading this as I would like to get rid of W***ows and install Linux on this PC.

Like I said, I;d prefer to replace this PC with one thats got good quality of basic components. I dont care too much for features like 6 speakers etc that are of little value to me.

Mesh seem to do some top quality computers but have heard nightmares about their service.

Like Fidgits idea of building it myself. Will give me something to tinker around with for a few weeks.

I'm thinking of getting a new pc soon (I'm waiting for Halflife2 to come out!!).

My current PC (pentium 2 333 :blush: ) really struggles these days and it's got a :tsktsk: Orchid video card that they stopped making drivers for about five years ago.

I was thinking of a Dell but I want to be able to mix and match stuff (eg. forget about the printer and the software and go for more ram and disk instead) but it seems that Dell aren't interested in offering this sort of service so I'm now wondering about going for a custom build instead (or even building one myself as that's just about what I've done with my current one over the years).

The Radeon had already been recommended to me, thanks for the tip.

I'm just waiting for the spec to come out for HL2 and then try to buy/build a PC around that (not that I'm buying a PC just to play HL2 but I'm guessing that if it'll run HL2 then it'll run just about anything!).

Make sure that you get a good graphics card somethink like a radeon 9800 pro if you want to play games like halflife 2 and unreal 2004 stay away from the geforce fx cards they are really poor

I disagree there, i have an old GEForce2 (or 3?) 32Meg and it runs Unreal 2004 fine..

Anyone looking at building their PC's should have a look at the Guides section of www.anandtech.com. They have some good recommendations.

I have decided to go ahead and build a PC based on an AMD 64 processor. Especially since this is a 64 bit processor, I think it will be fairly future proof. The downside is that 64 bit processors are still a bit expensive.

<snip>

I'm just waiting for the spec to come out for HL2 and then try to buy/build a PC around that (not that I'm buying a PC just to play HL2 but I'm guessing that if it'll run HL2 then it'll run just about anything!).

You could be waiting some time! I was waiting 6 months ago and gave up and upgraded. I have a Radeon 9600 Pro on a 2600XP Athlon and it runs everything fine, but only at 1024 res :excl:

Do not buy from time computers, delivery times and customers services are absouloutely crap. I am amazed they are still in business. When i give up on TIME i done some revision and Mesh and Evesham were winning all the computer awards. I bought from Mesh, my old man Bought from Evesham, both excellent computers and customers service.

I'd recommend you take a look at the scan.co.uk 3xs or barebone systems.

The 3XS systems may be not the cheapest but they do use good quality components, You can configure them so you only get the bits you want\need.

Personally i favour the MSI\nvidia backed bits.

Loads of regularly updated drivers and other info to help you if you do get into problems.

Medion - cheap but unknown components last time i looked.

AMD64 - too early to tell. I'd wait a bit for the market to sort out the software.

I finally put in my order today at Dell. They have a Dell outlet website (link from www.dell.co.uk). These are order cancellations or customer returns and are refurbished and sold will a full Dell warranty.

I have got a Dell Dimension 8300 with Intel P4 3.0 with a MoBo (875 chipset), 2Gb 400 MHz RAM, ATI Radeon 9600Pro 128 MB graphics card, 200 GB Serial ATA HDD, Soundblaster Audigy2 sound card. Comes with XP Pro, MS works bundled. Supplied with standard keyboard and mouse. No monitor. They have bundled in a Creative 64MB MP3 player free. Paid 900 for this, which I reckon is about 250 quid less that the original market price.

Word of caution - not all offers are that good. I have been looking at this website for 2 weeks now and snapped up this PC as soon as it came up for sale.

Thanks everyone for their help.