Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Got My New Is Today

smw

So picked up my used IS today from Lexus Nottingham. I love the car but have a few questions - appreciate any feedback.

1. It has the spoiler with integrated brake light and the brake light in the back window doesn't work - I assume the wires just go into the spoiler light instead and so this is normal ?

2. There is a very small chip in the screen about 4 cm from the bottom drivers side - I thought this would be a MOT failure but it was given a new certificate 2 days ago - thoughts ?

3. There is a slight dip in the floor pan underneath the drivers side accelerator - the car has cruise control and has done 43000 miles so I figure it's just where the drivers foot has been resting - anyone experienced similar ?

4. There are about 4 small stone chips on the front edge bonnet which have been painted in but are now raised slightly - is this how Lex would do it or has the previous owner had a go ?

5. On one wing (and in direct sunlight) you can see a sort of slight fading - I thought it was a greasy patch of silicone over spray from the tyres at first but it doesn't clean off - the car is black - could this be caused by sunlight 'bleaching' or similar. The affected area is a sort of brown colour but as I say not immediately noticeable - just in direct light - the paint surface is fine.

I've made the car sound bad which it isn't - I am really enjoying it - just have these few niggles in the back of my mind. Look forward to comments.

Spoiler was added after and so the rear window brake light was disconnected.

A chip can be upto 10mm diameter within the drivers immediate line of sight zone and up to 40mm within the rest of the wipers area and pass an MOT

Stone chips need to be cut/polished down level - will look much better then

Sounds like the wings need a good 3 stage polish.

if you've bought it off lexus i would have expected the paintwork to be in tip top condition. id take it back and get them to remove stone chips and sort ya wings out. my used is had 4 refurbed wheels, all stone chips removed and everything sorted before i picked it up, i was told this was standard procedure.

Still have these concerns - any experience out there ?

1. There is a slight dip in the floor pan underneath the drivers side accelerator - has anyone else IS got this ? Mine is 2001 X Reg.

2. On one wing (and in direct sunlight) you can see a sort of slight fading - I thought it was a greasy patch of silicone over spray from the tyres at first but it doesn't clean off - the car is black - what is a good cleaner / treatment.

To answer number 2 you could try stage 1 of the Meguiars Deep Crystal system as it's a non-abrasive paint cleaner and works very well at removing oxidisation etc - my car came up better than the dealer provided it to me after I gave it the full work over...

dont quite know what you mean about the floorplan.

john

Hard to describe.

I noticed when fitting my new mats - wouldn't have done otherwise.

Basically get in the drivers footwell. There is a rubber mat part of the carpet. If you put your hand on it at the very left and then draw it across to the right you will notice (well mine does anyway) that when you are about 70 % across the actual floor pan seems to dip away slightly into a shallow hollow. When you hand is at the very right it is probably 6mm (guess) lower than the the left hand side.

You can feel it with your foot when driving but not really when the mats are in.

Have I got the only one in the world like this ? :huh::unsure: