Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Spark Plugs

sjrainsford

At last, just changed them! Took me nearly three hours too! Still, won't have to look at them for a while again now.

If anyones needs any advice on changin them, let me know.

It's not so much a big job, just awkward because the throttle body needs removing. Four bolts though and it's off. Whilst it's off it's an excellent chance to clean the lambda probes and the throttle body itself. Mine was very dirty.

:)

excellent chance to clean the lambda probes

:unsure: aren't they in the exhaust :unsure:

Yep, but with that bit of pipe out of the way, the upper exhaust is easy to get to. I kinda just did them as they were there.

• 8 months later...
excellent chance to clean the lambda probes

:unsure: aren't they in the exhaust :unsure:

Yep, but with that bit of pipe out of the way, the upper exhaust is easy to get to. I kinda just did them as they were there.

Would appreciate some hints (pics) with the removal of the Throttle Body to access the plugs. Have 1999 GS 300.

• 2 months later...

My Dad wants to change the plugs himself on his 95 GS, but is in need of advice, so I said I ask the forum.

He knows the throttle body needs removing, but wondered if a gasket set will be required?

He wondered what type of plugs he should use or is this specified in the manual?

In general what needs to come off and any hints or tips?

Thanks in advance.

there you go, for removal of the plugs on the gs300

http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/spark_plugs/na/index.html

same engine dont worry, hardest job is getting the lower coolant pipe of the throttle body, and heres a tip i found out after, drain a bit of coolant off, other wise the moment u remove the coolant pipes the top of the engine gets covered in coolant :)i did mine found a misfire turned out when id put the new plugs in, stuck the pipes back on some coolant spilt onto the plugs and ht leads(i didnt know) so had to take it all off again and ruining a 3£ throttle body gasket :(

hope this helps

Steve

wow...seems like a big job...........i replace the four already, and the two I might get done by Lexus.

Any idea how many hours it will take them to do the two spark plugs?

Looks like a big job and a lot of areas were problems can arise with the removing and replacing of a lot of different items.

LoL, just dawned on me what a clever design this engine was, amazing how much labour charge they could add on by desiging it so you have to remove the throttle body. I may consider sticking a twinturbo 3.0 supra engine in mine, i gather its easy to change the spark plugs on those, lol

to be honest its quite easy to change all 6, didnt take too long , i wouldnt bother takign it to lexus to change could be quite expensive. id follow the instructions on the web page i sent you, take our time if u prefer, and u will be allright

but ive had more practice on a 7mgte (supra engine)