Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ptfe Tape And Petrol.

Fargo

Hard one that i have used it defore but would not like to say deffo .how about leaving a peice of tape in contact with the petrol overnight to see what happens .the only problem i can see is the tape melting like when you use a plastic container etc

lol blue peter pah..

well im thinking in terms of my fuel rail,, it is now tapped and a bolt inserted to accept the pipe to the nos pulsoid,, i was having to real really tighten it to stop the leak,, it wasnt a leak as such more of a capilary action leak, a bit like solder and pipes,,

I havnt used the ptfe tape, but i might go back and use it to make sure if there was no reaction witht he tape.

Polytetrafluoroethylene – PTFE (plumbers tape for electricians)

Polymer Type

Thermoplastic

Advantages

Outstanding chemical resistance. Low coefficient of friction. High continuous use temperature (c 180°C/360°F). Very high oxygen index.

Disadvantages

High cost. Low strength and stiffness. Cannot be melt processed. Poor radiation resistance.

Typical Properties

Property

Value

Density (g/cm3)

Surface Hardness

SD63

Tensile Strength (MPa)

Flexural Modulus (GPa)

Notched Izod (kJ/m)

Linear Expansion (/°C x 10-5)

Elongation at Break (%)

Strain at Yield (%)

Max. Operating Temp. (°C)

Water Absorption (%)

Oxygen Index (%)

Flammability UL94

V0

Volume Resistivity (log ohm.cm)

Dielectric Strength (MV/m)

Dissipation Factor 1kHz

Dielectric Constant 1kHz

HDT @ 0.45 MPa (°C)

HDT @ 1.80 MPa (°C)

Material. Drying hrs @ (°C)

NA

Melting Temp. Range (°C)

NA

Mould Shrinkage (%)

NA

Mould Temp. Range (°C)

NA

Applications

Bearings, chemical vessel linings, pipe and valve linings, gaskets, diaphragms, piston rings, high temperature electrical insulation. As a coating for non-stick applications.

looks allright to me :)

Polymer Type

Thermoplastic

Advantages

Outstanding chemical resistance.  Low coefficient of friction.  High continuous use temperature (c 180°C/360°F).  Very high oxygen index.

Disadvantages

High cost.  Low strength and stiffness.  Cannot be melt processed.  Poor radiation resistance.

Typical Properties

Property

Value

Density (g/cm3)

Surface Hardness

SD63

Tensile Strength (MPa)

Flexural Modulus (GPa)

Notched Izod (kJ/m)

Linear Expansion  (/°C x 10-5)

Elongation at Break (%)

Strain at Yield (%)

Water Absorption (%)

Oxygen Index (%)

Flammability UL94

V0

Dissipation Factor 1kHz

Dielectric Constant  1kHz

HDT @ 0.45 MPa (°C)

HDT @ 1.80 MPa (°C)

Material. Drying  hrs @ (°C)

NA

Melting Temp. Range (°C)

NA

Mould Shrinkage (%)

NA

Mould Temp. Range (°C)

NA

Applications

Bearings, chemical vessel linings, pipe and valve linings, gaskets, diaphragms, piston rings, high temperature electrical insulation.  As a coating for non-stick applications. 

looks allright to me  :)

hmmmmmmmm, im not sure, have you seen the Dielectric Constant.

Being only 1kHz i have my doubts about its suitability in the application

Polymer Type

Thermoplastic

Advantages

Outstanding chemical resistance.  Low coefficient of friction.  High continuous use temperature (c 180°C/360°F).  Very high oxygen index.

Disadvantages

High cost.  Low strength and stiffness.  Cannot be melt processed.  Poor radiation resistance.

Typical Properties

Property

Value

Density (g/cm3)

Surface Hardness

SD63

Tensile Strength (MPa)

Flexural Modulus (GPa)

Notched Izod (kJ/m)

Elongation at Break (%)

Strain at Yield (%)

Water Absorption (%)

Oxygen Index (%)

Flammability UL94

V0

Dissipation Factor 1kHz

HDT @ 0.45 MPa (°C)

HDT @ 1.80 MPa (°C)

NA

Melting Temp. Range (°C)

NA

Mould Shrinkage (%)

NA

Mould Temp. Range (°C)

NA

Applications

Bearings, chemical vessel linings, pipe and valve linings, gaskets, diaphragms, piston rings, high temperature electrical insulation.  As a coating for non-stick applications. 

hmmmm... maybe... but its Flexural Modulus is a whopping 0.70 which would undoubtly be a great asset to the molecular structurisation, and basically would poo all over its dialectric constants ;)

Heat

PTFE retains its properties after exposure to temperatures beyond the limit of almost all other thermoplastics and elastomers. Depending on the end-use requirements, PTFE is rated for continuous service at temperatures as high as 500°F. It also can sustain short exposure at higher temperatures.

Flame Resistance

PTFE offers extraordinary resistance to high temperature and flames because it has a very high melting point and auto-ignition

Temperature, as well as exceptional thermal degradation thresholds. PTFE's flame propagation characteristics, such as rate of heat release and smoke generation is very low.

Friction and Wear

PTFE has one of the lowest coefficients of friction of any solid material. Its abrasions resistance is adaptable to demanding environments by using inorganic fillers, such as glass fiber, carbon or graphite.

Contamination

PTFE is chemically pure and inert. It contains no additives such as lubricants, stabilizers, plasticizers or antioxidants that can contaminate process fluids.

Adhesion / Release

PTFE has an extremely low surface energy in the solid state. This provides an excellent anti-stick, non-wetting contact surface. Conversely, when these resins are in a molten form, they become low surface- tension liquids, ideal for hot melt adhesives.

Low Temperature Service

PTFE retains its excellent properties even at cryogenic temperatures. PTFE's impact resistance at these temperatures exceeds that of most other polymers.

Corrosion

PTFE has excellent chemical resistance. It will resist most aggressive organic and inorganic chemicals, acids and solvents over a broad temperature range.

Service Life

PTFE exhibits excellent retention of properties after a long period of time, even at elevated temperatures and in the presence of oils, solvents, UV light, oxidizing agents and other environmental agents.

Light Stability

PTFE has one of the lowest refractive indexes. It does not change its visual apperance after exposure to ultraviolet or infrared light.

Dielectrics

PTFE has remarkable dielectric strength, low dielectric constant, low loss factors

and high specific resistance. PTFE surpasses most material in its level and stability of dielectric properties over a wide range of environmental conditions.

Biodegradation

PTFE is inert to microbiological and enzymic attack because the pure polymer does not provide any nourishment or porosity for these growths.

Atmospheric Aging

PTFE is not affected by ultraviolet and is resistant to oxidation, discoloration, and embrittlement.

Humidity

PTFE is completely resistant to hydrolysis. PTFE is a good barrier for water permeation. Its typical properties and dimensional stability remain unchanged even after long periods of time in water.

Polymer Type

Thermoplastic

Advantages

Disadvantages

Typical Properties

Property

Value

Density (g/cm3)

Surface Hardness

SD63

Tensile Strength (MPa)

Flexural Modulus (GPa)

Notched Izod (kJ/m)

Elongation at Break (%)

Strain at Yield (%)

Water Absorption (%)

Oxygen Index (%)

Flammability UL94

V0

Dissipation Factor 1kHz

HDT @ 0.45 MPa (°C)

HDT @ 1.80 MPa (°C)

NA

Melting Temp. Range (°C)

NA

Mould Shrinkage (%)

NA

Mould Temp. Range (°C)

NA

Applications

hmmmm... maybe... but its Flexural Modulus is a whopping 0.70 which would undoubtly be a great asset to the molecular structurisation, and basically would poo all over its dialectric constants ;)

hmmmmmmmm good point, but the Dielectric Constant is more relevant in this perticular case, if it had a reading of 1.5kHz or higher it would be stable for the application.

Having a Flexural Modulus of a (in your words) whopping 0.70 is superflourous in this instance.

Polymer Type

Thermoplastic

Advantages

Disadvantages

Typical Properties

Property

Value

Density (g/cm3)

Surface Hardness

SD63

Tensile Strength (MPa)

Flexural Modulus (GPa)

Notched Izod (kJ/m)

Elongation at Break (%)

Strain at Yield (%)

Water Absorption (%)

Oxygen Index (%)

Flammability UL94

V0

Dissipation Factor 1kHz

HDT @ 0.45 MPa (°C)

HDT @ 1.80 MPa (°C)

NA

Melting Temp. Range (°C)

NA

Mould Shrinkage (%)

NA

Mould Temp. Range (°C)

NA

Applications

hmmmmmmmm good point, but the Dielectric Constant is more relevant in this perticular case, if it had a reading of 1.5kHz or higher it would be stable for the application.

Having a Flexural Modulus of a (in your words) whopping 0.70 is superflourous in this instance.

i dont think it would be superflourous at all, when you look at the figures for notched izod at only 0.16 kj/m you soon realise how it plays a major part

where as the dielectric constant is only 1kHz but has an overall strength of 45 MV/m this coupled with the dissipation factor of 0.0001 gives a general consistancy in proportion to strawberry flavoured jelly tots

:whistling:

now you mention Jelly Tots that does change the Outstanding chemical resistance, which at its lowest reading should be persistant around c 180°C/360°F, as is the norm.

but you have to remember that this is a Thermoplastic, and therefore the Dielectric Strength (MV/m) is critical in this application where diferential types of Berti Bassets are compounded in the Polytetrafluoroethylene type B-/c+

now you mention Jelly Tots that does change the Outstanding chemical resistance, which at its lowest reading should be persistant around c 180°C/360°F, as is the norm.

but you have to remember that this is a Thermoplastic, and therefore the Dielectric Strength (MV/m) is critical in this application where diferential types of Berti Bassets are compounded in the Polytetrafluoroethylene type B-/c+

my apologies , you are right ,will admit to not taking into account the compounded types of berti bassets found within Polytetrafluoroethylene this does change the whole molecular structure, but only as a simple formula equation, obviously if the last rolos were equated as well as the berti bassets it could create a whole bag of dolly mixtures,

:)

but you have to remember that this is a Thermoplastic, and therefore the Dielectric Strength (MV/m) is critical in this application  where diferential types of Berti Bassets are compounded in the  Polytetrafluoroethylene type B-/c+

my apologies , you are right ,will admit to not taking into account the compounded types of berti bassets found within Polytetrafluoroethylene this does change the whole molecular structure, but only as a simple formula equation, obviously if the last rolos were equated as well as the berti bassets it could create a whole bag of dolly mixtures,

:)

Sometimes its good to look further than your Malteasers......

s'alright, i got an oanswer over on the wizrd of nos forum

" If your using a parallel thread male into parallel female then you should be using a sealing washer, either copper, alloy or a "dowty" washer. failing that just use "hydraulic seal" or "stud lock and seal" when tightened make sure you leave it 90 minutes before use.

you should still use these sealants if you use tapered threads. PTFE tape has no place on a car, let alone nitrous systems."