Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Does anyone change their oil/filters themselves between services and if so what oil and filters are recommended. Is there anything else which members recommend doing between services for optimum running and long life.

Finally, has anyone tested optimum cruising speed for best mpg, as I have switched from a turbo diesel, and finding painful the cost of re-fills, although enjoyment factor still optimum!

Depends on what you mean by realistic speed. I reckon I probably get as good mpg as anyone here on my GS, but then I drive it like an old bloke 90% of the time, at least compared to some, I think! (I am not an old bloke, despite implications).

So, to be more concrete - I tend to stick the cruise on at an indicated 56 on an A road and an indicated 70 on the motorway, thus doing a bit less than those speeds. And I get at best about 33-34 mpg doing that. Add in the 24-25 I get around town and the average comes out nearer 28-30, usually.

I'm not above gunning it every so often for the heck of it.

Optimax DOES make a difference for my car.

any recommendations on appropriate oil, plus "best realistic speed" for best cruising mpg

If you are changing the oil often then normal or semi-synthetic will be fine. 10w-40, or if you want to save fuel a 5w-30

I am averaging about 28mpg on mixed runs, tend to sit on cruise between 75-80mph, and dont boot it around town, but have experienced different cars which have better mpg at higher than normal speeds, quite a few have been better at 80+mph than 65mph. May have something to do with the momentum when hitting inclines, not causing a kick down etc.

Fuel wise, have been using Esso, but have thought of Shell or Texaco, interested to know members thoughts, plus what oil is most recommended?

I've used comma oils for a long time. They've always come out well on the oil analysis machine at work. Seem to be of a decent standard.

As for petrol, must admit I've tried two brands so far, Tesco's own and Texaco. And I average 1 - 2mpg more on the Texaco. To me that's not really worth the hassle. Will try other brands though.

Another GS owner in the midlands then! The fuel consumption hit me too. I went from a Toyota Avensis which is known for it's good fuel economy.

It doesn't seem to matter though, cause all other costs are kept to a minimum by the good reliability. The Lexus can be run on a budget still, unlike other similar cars.

Must be even closer, as I live near Stafford.

2nd long run today, somerset and dorset, so filling up with Texaco, and will see.

Probably oil change on weekend, as 56000 on clock, advantage with diesel, was as they all burn a bit, always adding some part way through service intervals, need to discipline with Lexus. Plan to have car lots of miles, audi tdi was 212,000, and passed it to girlfriend, as she does less miles than me, interested to know what mileages are out there and what problems experienced, which could be seen as either faults, assoc with gs300 or what does tend to go, even at higher mileages.

Closer again as work in Penkridge!

Averaged 27mpg which was 1/3 motorway 1/3 a roads an rest smaller, kept right foot to minimum, motorway speeds .80mph on cruise, filled up texac super and re-filled on BP super, so see how it goes.

Found interesting use for Sat Nav, as frustrating following cars on unfamiliar roads when do not know in dark how far to next corner, bing sat nav on max magnify shows for you!

Also had a Avensis in previous life, co car, free fuel, tried to destroy it everyday, even with .125mph speeds everyday 54,000 miles in one year, and still did 33mpg,appart from poor brakes, and soggy suspension, could not destroy it. Begrudingly respected it. But was on 3 set of front disks and 2nd drums on back!