Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Air Suspension Failure

Last Thursday I noticed a 'clicking' noise from the nearside front area. This was followed by the Air Suspension 'OFF' light blinking. The manual states that this is to indicate a failure on the Air Suspension.

I rang my local dealer who nicely arranged for me to drop it off the next morning and they arranged a car for me (One of the Sales GS 300 Sports - not too bad for a courtesy car)

The diagnostics have indicated that the problem is with a solenoid, and they are trying to find out why it happened. Two days of examining the car they are still no wiser as to whether the computer, solenoid or other sensors are causing the problem.

Just thought I would give you a heads up. I will post what happens as I find out.

Night-Time

The dealer has just rung me to let me know it is all ok.

They have checked the car over and even gone to Lexus Technical guys for assistance. Seems that the Air Compressor had gone. So they have replaced it.

Going to pick it up this afternoon.

Can't fault the guys at the dealer for all the effort they have put into it. If It had been Vauxhall etc they would have just replaced the part identified in the diagnostics and sent me on my way.

Meanwhile I have out 1,400 miles on there sales car and not on mine.

Night-Time

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

Here we go again...

Last week the flashing OFF light started for the air suspension, and having experienced it before I though I would just wait the couple of weeks till the next service to have the sensors checked. The car goes into Normal mode and is fine to drive (according to the book and previous guidance from Lexus).

Then Monday morning it decides to raise the car as high as possible, the rear especially. Quite a wierd thing to drive I can tell you.

I took it into Lexu Swindon this morning as I am in the area, and they diagnosed a sensor has faile (front right).

Upon working to replace it, they discovered that the sensor was barly attached to it metal plate as out of the two fixing things (I guess bolts) one was missing and the other fell ogff when touched. This gave hope as to why the sensor was giving a funny reading.

the worked on it today to re-attach the sensor and now have informed me they get an error code pointing them to the compressor.

The car is an 03 plate so out of the 5 year waranty I have read about.

Worst case, is that if I need a compressor then I am looking at a £2k repair bill... not something I really want.

If the sensor came unattached, wouldn't that be under warranty for the bodywork?

Any ideas or advice welcome.

Tim

£2k!!!! :ohmy:

Is the majority of the cost labour?? If you do end up having to fork out try to negotiate the costs - i'm sure they can do something about it especially if you have already serviced the car at Lexus. Essentially i'm thinking "gesture of good will"...

Mine is still under warranty but when you read about such things it does scare me. Keep us posted and good luck.

Noman

This was one of the reasons why I didn't opt for an SE-L when we were looking for our RX. The air suspension seems to be frightfully complciated and rather too fragile, and I accpet it may offer a 'better' ride...but the compromise (worry?) of the air suspension wasn't worth it for us.

You may well get a good will contribution from Lexus, but still, I guess it wont be cheap to fix :(

• 2 weeks later...

The problem is the connector to the air suspension pump and it breaks, there is a tech bulletin for this, i was told that they can investigate but if the connector breaks then it is a pump replacement.

When this happened to me i took out an extended warranty at £800 and got them to replace under warranty hence saving me £500 and giving me 12 months additional warranty. :winky:

Hi there,

Have just experienced the same scenario, Rear End driver side stuck way up high and was feeling every single bump: Car ( RX300 SEL ) on 04 plate ) was due service/mot so asked Lexus ( Edinburgh ) to investigate while work being done: They called back to say car required a new compressor at a price of £1300 !!!!! -- car is just out ( 2 weeks ) of 5yr warranty but has only done 32k miles, but after a talk to service advisor, Lexus agreed to a 50% contribution to compressor cost: The new unit was fitted along with new wiring loom but the car was still sitting way up at the back and they now said that the rear Sensor ( £350 ) also needed to be replaced ? As you can imagine, I was feeling quite gutted at this point: However, Lexus came up trumps and offered to fit new Sensor at no cost, so overall have got to say that Lexus were very fair with me.

Please note that while the Sensors are covered by he 5yr warranty -- the compressor is not: Hope this info is of help to others.

Hi there,

Have just experienced the same scenario, Rear End driver side stuck way up high and was feeling every single bump: Car ( RX300 SEL ) on 04 plate ) was due service/mot so asked Lexus ( Edinburgh ) to investigate while work being done: They called back to say car required a new compressor at a price of £1300 !!!!! -- car is just out ( 2 weeks ) of 5yr warranty but has only done 32k miles, but after a talk to service advisor, Lexus agreed to a 50% contribution to compressor cost: The new unit was fitted along with new wiring loom but the car was still sitting way up at the back and they now said that the rear Sensor ( £350 ) also needed to be replaced ? As you can imagine, I was feeling quite gutted at this point: However, Lexus came up trumps and offered to fit new Sensor at no cost, so overall have got to say that Lexus were very fair with me.

Please note that while the Sensors are covered by he 5yr warranty -- the compressor is not: Hope this info is of help to others.

Maybe i am being cynical but did they actualy show you the pump was faulty as if what you say is correct after replacing what they say was the faulty part the fault still existed, not suprised they replaced the sensor FOC :whistling:

Hi there,

Maybe i am being cynical but did they actualy show you the pump was faulty as if what you say is correct after replacing what they say was the faulty part the fault still existed, not suprised they replaced the sensor FOC :whistling:

My thoughts exactly........if they diagnosed the pump fault wrongly and replaced it at 50% your cost I see no reason for you to be happy! :whistling:

But then I'm a cynical out git too :winky:

Best regards David

• 2 weeks later...
Last Thursday I noticed a 'clicking' noise from the nearside front area. This was followed by the Air Suspension 'OFF' light blinking. The manual states that this is to indicate a failure on the Air Suspension.

I rang my local dealer who nicely arranged for me to drop it off the next morning and they arranged a car for me (One of the Sales GS 300 Sports - not too bad for a courtesy car)

The diagnostics have indicated that the problem is with a solenoid, and they are trying to find out why it happened. Two days of examining the car they are still no wiser as to whether the computer, solenoid or other sensors are causing the problem.

Just thought I would give you a heads up. I will post what happens as I find out.

Night-Time

Hi, I've had a couple of these doing this, fault usually with a solenoid on the air pump, expensive little b though! Found a way to modify it in my workshop!! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Night-Time

Hi, I've had a couple of these doing this, fault usually with a solenoid on the air pump, expensive little b though! Found a way to modify it in my workshop!! :)

My 2003 RX300-SEL has started to do the same thing. Though, on a warm day the clicking ceases and the air suspension functions fine. On the colder days, the clicking is there any really annoying me!! When we purchased the car, I explained to my wife that the air suspension is the one thing I am really afraid will go wrong.....Since the air suspension seems to act up in cold weather, could it be a sticking solenoid? Any recommendations for getting it fixed without mortgaging my house and first born? I'm in the East London/Essex area.

Thanks!

Night-Time

My 2003 RX300-SEL has started to do the same thing. Though, on a warm day the clicking ceases and the air suspension functions fine. On the colder days, the clicking is there any really annoying me!! When we purchased the car, I explained to my wife that the air suspension is the one thing I am really afraid will go wrong.....Since the air suspension seems to act up in cold weather, could it be a sticking solenoid? Any recommendations for getting it fixed without mortgaging my house and first born? I'm in the East London/Essex area.

Thanks!

Try these chaps.....I had better service from them than the main dealer.....and by service I mean results vs cost rather than a s****y building and a cup of coffee from a pair of fluttering eyelashes! :whistling::lol:

http://www.westfieldmotors.co.uk/

They are in Rawreth a few miles north of the A127 before Rayliegh in Essex.

Best regards David

Don't know why the auto post police vetted my description above......daft really as it was a perfectly decent, crazy computers, dum machines! "S-W-A-N-K-Y"

• 6 years later...

I know it's an old thread ( though an interesting one ) ...

Does anyone 'do' any preventative maintenance on their air suspension?

I've seen talk of lubricating the compressor...?

( Just discovered the front centre console tray can slide forward and backwards ).

• 5 years later...

Have not collected my car (2004 RX300 SE-L) yet, the dealer said he needed to replace a leaking air bag - !!?? I can't imagine it will be a new one.

The last of the original posts back in 2009 - Box Brownie gave a personal recommendation for good service. Why not have a "sticky" for all such, so that members can add to it as they find good service. It might even be possible to sort entries into geographical area - ?? Admin ??

On 4/20/2021 at 6:47 AM, Wyeman said:

a personal recommendation for good service. Why not have a "sticky" for all such, so that members can add to it as they find good service.

Oh - there is one - only just found it 🙂

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links