Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cat 1 Alarms On Altezza.....

OLI_EP3

Hi

I have been phoning around and asking about getting a CAT1 alarm. I have been told by an alarm company that for the central locking to be activitated via the arming and disarming of the alarm (i.e. blip alarm fob - lock and arm and vice versa) I will need to shell out some extra money as the altezza's central locking is somehow linked to the ecu and would cost £100 or so..........

Not 100% sure what the feck they are talking about but could someone let me know if they have heard this or have a cat1 alarm installed on a tezza that 'works'

Any ideas appreciated!

Oliver

Guest mark_tsang

i paid £60 tops to get the alarm activated with the central lock, is not a cat 1 alarm so it may be different. its was a simple job that took 2 hours tops. i think at the time a relay was installed not sure if is all doors.......

there was some wiring missing when the alarm was fitted by Halfords (when it was my dads) thats why Halfords people couldnt get it to work with the central lock & the other reason was incompetent & rubbish service by them.so i wouldnt bother getting then to sort it out.

Ok gents,

Thanks for you input!

Seems like some have had issues and others have not. I think it all depends on the installer.

I had another conversation with them yesterday and the issue is that the central locking controller is wired up to the ECU (this was confirmed through clifford technical centre) I asked if they could bypass the toyota locking mechanism and they said it is possible but not advisable (clifford backed this up) They said the ECU would need to be removed and modified (A route I'm not willing to take) This would be the proper way although not advised.

The other option which I believe some have taken, is to disregard the OEM central locking and wire up relays directly to the solenoids...... this is a "crude and nasty way" and that this is what your "old fiestas would do when there is no central locking, not on a lexus" (Their words)

Now is it me or does having to carry round 2 fobs and having to blip one after another even more pikey??

I asked how much this 'cruder' way of doing things would cost and it would cost £120 plus VAT........... I believe there are cheaper places, so will probably leave it for now and do it another time when funds allow I guess.........

Can you guys give me the alarm fitters names and contact numbers??

As I would like a second opinion, pls drop it here on ain a PM please!

Cheers

SteveAudioX> i take it you are speaking about the Altezza right?

Guest mark_tsang

to some people it is hard or in Halfords case 'not possible'. my local audio/alarm dealer it only took few hours with no complications & ECU wernt modified or removed.

Oli - what alarm you got or think of buying, mines a laserline & when you said disregard OEM central lock, does it mean it cannot central lock /unlock using a key? only works with the alarm keypad?

The Altezza is different to the IS' apparently??

Mark,

TOAD or Clifford, makes no difference according to alarms fitters

(search CARALARMS and UK in google to find them)

Is there an internal central locking button that locks all doors when inside?

Does this still lcck all the doors?

Also I'm thinking that this crude method wiill render the existing toyota remote fob useless as the solenoids will be controlled by the 'new' alarm

Sure someone will come along and correct me...

If I can remember rightly.. As I got my alarm fitted next day I had the car from dealer.

The factory car key with the buttons controls the central locking.

using the key in the key hole controls nothing but the drivers door or passenger door depending which side you are on.

When aftermarket alarm was fitted....

New remote works everything so fine that I even took the Battery out of the oem key for the oem buttons.

I have full locking functions including RPM dependant locking, my locking switch in the drivers door still fully functioning, my OEM lexus alarm LED in dash clocks still functioning too as well as boot release on new alarm FOB.

If you want to know how.... just ask.

ALL IS's ARE THE SAME! Including ALTEZZA too..

CONCLUSION........ :mat:

IF YOU ARE GETTING OVERCHARGED FOR THE ALARM INSTALL, GO ELSEWHERE BECAUSE IT'S LIKELY THAT THE PARTICULAR INSTALLATION COMPANY KNOWS NOWT! :whistling:

P.S OUR COMPANY WERE THE ONES WHO INFORMED CLIFFORD TECHNICAL OF OUR FINDINGS INITIALLY, EVEN GOT A FREE T-SHIRT FOR ALL :whistling: about 5 years ago now.. when I worked on my first ALTEZZA

Guest mark_tsang

using the key in the key hole controls nothing but the drivers door or passenger door depending which side you are on.

u cant central lock/ unlock using a key, only via remote? cant be right..... a honda civic comes with factory remote central lock & can still central lock/ unlock by using a key hole. mine not got factory remote central lock so i dont know of this. my old mazda 323f both driver & passenger side key hole can central lock/unlock all doors, my altezza only got on driver side whereas all IS200/300 i seen dont have key hole on the passnger side door

Oli - there is a seperate c/lock switch on driver side, i dont know if this' crude method' disables it. wouldnt think so.

Sure someone will come along and correct me...

If I can remember rightly.. As I got my alarm fitted next day I had the car from dealer.

When aftermarket alarm was fitted....

New remote works everything so fine that I even took the battery out of the oem key for the oem buttons.

I have full locking functions including RPM dependant locking, my locking switch in the drivers door still fully functioning, my OEM lexus alarm led in dash clocks still functioning too as well as boot release on new alarm FOB.

If you want to know how.... just ask.

ALL IS's ARE THE SAME! Including ALTEZZA too..

CONCLUSION........ :mat:

IF YOU ARE GETTING OVERCHARGED FOR THE ALARM INSTALL, GO ELSEWHERE BECAUSE IT'S LIKELY THAT THE PARTICULAR INSTALLATION COMPANY KNOWS NOWT! :whistling:

P.S OUR COMPANY WERE THE ONES WHO INFORMED CLIFFORD TECHNICAL OF OUR FINDINGS INITIALLY, EVEN GOT A FREE T-SHIRT FOR ALL :whistling: about 5 years ago now.. when I worked on my first ALTEZZA

Steve,

I would like to know how this is done, however I'm useless on the electrical side.......... idiots guide version pls?

Also you say you've worked on them? What company and whereabouts? (pm if need be)

As I might need to take a trip there if its not too far :whistling:

In terms of not using this alarm company.....too late as I needed the car registered, therefore insurance needed a CAT1 certificate etc.

The alarm works fine but I just need to use 2 fobs, however I may take it elswhere to 're-do' it properly.

Can someone confirm whether locking the door via the key locks all doors?

Also pressing the interior locking button, whether this locks all doors?

Thanks again!

Pressing the interior locking button locks all the doors... But you have to manually open drivers door to get out and lock that door again.

HOW HAVE THEY WIRED YOUR LOCKING CURRENTLY?

The key in the key hole only opperates the single door if I can remember rightly, will try in a tad when I wash the car.

2 Keyfobs? why in heavens would you need to do that?

The OEM key should not need to be used after alarm install....

Yes... Easily done for the locking as long as your alarm has eitther a neg or a pos output.

Will be doing one this coming weekend again and will pass on digital pics for ya if you like.

SteveAudioX

I don't have the car as I will be collecting it soon, so in terms of seeing what they have done I'm not sure.

I would like some digi pics if thats possible. I'll send you a pm with email address if it's more convenient??

Thanks again

I fitted a TOAD Ai 606 Cat 1 alarm to an altezza the other week.

To do the locking you need to configure the alarm wiring to pulse a negative feed to the drivers door motor.

You have to connect your two locking wires coming from the alarm to the wires directly at the motor inside the drivers door.

There you will see :-

LOCK WIRE = RED/BLACK

UNLOCK WIRE = RED/BLUE

SteveAudioX> I'm in Essex junction 30/31 off the M25........ near a shopping centre called lakeside

Duncan> Dammit! you should have fitted one earlier! :P Is it that simple? Is there any truth in the following statement?

"The altezzas central locking/alarm (?) is connected to the ECU and to do it properly you will need the ECU taken out to be modified"

Seems like bull**** to me now.

Could this be retrofitted??? :blink:

• 1 month later...

Steve,

Where is your company based I am looking a buying an Altezza and will need a Cat1 fit. I would like to take the car to someone who knows what they are doing.

Also what sort of prices am i looking at paying?

Cheers

My Altezza didnt come with a "toyota" key fob.

I lock all four doors via the drivers door lock with the key.

From the pasenger side, it only unlocks the front passenger door, all others remain locked.

I am aware as standard, my car does not have an alarm or immobiliser.

But..........

Should it have at least have come with a remote fob to centrally lock the doors?

AS this is needed as when carrying my son, (14 months old) I have to put him down to open the lock via the key, rendering him a chance to "play with the traffic"

Result; If there is a key fob avail, I need a replacement to bleep with my son in my arms.

HELP, advice............