Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

An End To In-car Domestics

Fidgits

We've all been there, whether its an argument about which way you should have turned at a junction, or the age old question "what is it about men and asking for directions!?".. there is a solution....

OEM Sat Nav systems, while solving this problem, also do a fine job of removing a large portion of hard earned cash from your pocket...

Well, there is a solution, which will stop you having to ask for directions, and bring an end to those little disagreements when it comes to map reading...

I have the TomTom Bluetooth Navigator, which runs on my IPaq 1945. The GPS unit and software cost 199, with the original TomTom cradle for my specific IPaq costing a further 50 (optional).

So, today I set off on a journey, with only an end address, and no idea where, or how to get to the address, relying soley on the system....

Firstly, the fact it runs on my IPaq is very useful, already having one meant there was no need to shell out for a dedicated piece of hardware. The cradle comes with various fitting options, and holds well, with little vibration.

The Bluetooth unit was hidden away in my JDM dash tray...

So, how did it perform, well I got there, and on time.. and it made driving easier AND safer.. although the display is small, it is clear and easy to read. The 3D view gives a good idea on perspective. The voice commands meant there was no need to have to read a map, or printed directions, allowing you to just concentrate on driving.

The main display is the 3D map, with addtional information below, showing the next turn, how far to that turn, current speed, time to destination and expected arrival time.

The voice commands and clear, and well timed (varies according to speed).

Inputting the address was simple, just insert the first 4 digits of the postcode, and select from a list. You can also choose a POI (point of interest), such as hotel or airport, and it will take you there.

It also was very fast at calculating the route, and re-routes almost instantly! After calculating the route, it will switch into map mode, to show you the whole journey, before changing into the navigation mode.

It will plan the best route when you have multiple stops, and can route around areas you would like to avoid due to traffic jams and road works.

If your planned route passes through the London Congestion Charging Zone it will prompt you if you would like to an plan alternative around the zone, if at all possible, if not it still tells you that you are going to pass through it.

However, the real benifit is the flexibility, you can change from the UK map to European, or US (depending on what maps you have), you can download databases, such as 'Speed camera locations' and combined with a POI warning, it can also act as a GPS camera detector.

The big buttons make it easy to change settings while on the move (e.g. switch off the voice directions, re-route around traffic).

All in all, i was very impressed, it is a very slick system, and took the stress out of going somewhere i had never been, and allowed me to sit back and enjoy the drive...

erm... I couldnt honestly tell you, the software I have is for PocketPC 2003, so mine wouldnt work, but that isnt to say you wouldnt be able to get a version that does..

And no, the voice is fine (a bit sultry if you ask me), but you can download other voices from the website..

I would not be without sat nav now - mine has taken me all around the country, effortlessly.

The amount of stress it removes from a journey is incredible - no more printing off maps / directions, desparately checking for street names etc - just follow the instructions.

We do have excellent workshop article on setting up a iPaq on the IS dash.

Installing Pocket PC GPS system in Lexus IS 200

Now, to answer a recurring question.

I got the TomTom gear from a website called NavCity, now please read below before deciding whether to order from them or not. (link at bottom).

I ordered from the website on the 6th of April, mainly because it was a good price, and it stated they had them in stock.

The order page stated delivery in 2-5 working days.

I had issues with the 'account details', it didnt provide me with any additonal information (status = pending), I sent a couple of emails asking questions, but everytime they bounced back, saying I did not have permission to access the server.

On the 14th, the payment left my account, and the status = shipped.

On the 16th, it arrived, however, they had sent me the 'wired' GPS, not the Bluetooth.

Also, the TomTom cradle box was dented and damaged, but it seemed to be okay, and the product not damaged.

After a lot of investigation, i found out that NavCity was infact a website for a shop in London, I called the number of the shop, it was engaged...

After about 2 hours of trying, i got through, and spoke to a very polite gentleman, and explained the situation. He apologised, and asked what i wanted to do.. he then explained he hadnt recived his shipment of Bluetooth yet.. and suggested i keep the wired GPS. I stated I was under the impression only the Bluetooth version would work, but he reassured me, it would be fine.

So we agreed that i would keep the wired GPS, and recieve a refund for the difference.

I spent an hour trying to get it working, to no joy, so called them again, when I eventually got through, they were very helpful, taking me through the settings, to try and get it working... after around another hour, he made a call to someone, and found out the wired GPS would not work with my PDA!

So we agreed that I would keep just the software (as i had to register it to install), and return the rest of the GPS stuff, and he would send out the Bluetooth GPS to me, and would be with me in a few days.

A week later (23rd) I had not recieved anything, so i called back, and explained, he said he had just recieved the Bluetooth, and would send it straight out, I would recieve it either saturday or monday..

It arrived on tuesday 27th, but they had only sent me the Bluetooth GPS reciever, with no instructions, charging cable, or magnet. It had arrived in a ziplok bag inside a box!

I was lucky enough to be able to charge the module 'in car' due to having the TomTom cradle, and since they were engaged, I set it up to see if it worked, which it did! (joy of joys)

I called and explained the situation, and he agreed to send me the additonal equipment that i hadnt recieved...

So I am just waiting for this now....

and as promised, here is the link

**UPDATE**

I have just recieved a package from them, which is the power cable, still no instructions, but a 'small gift' in apology (a digital thermometer), and to be honest, I'm just going to leave it now, it works, i have the charger, i cant be doing with anymore hassle...

Edited by Fidgits

I would not be without sat nav now - mine has taken me all around the country, effortlessly.

The amount of stress it removes from a journey is incredible - no more printing off maps / directions, desparately checking for street names etc - just follow the instructions.

We do have excellent workshop article on setting up a iPaq on the IS dash.

Installing Pocket PC GPS system in Lexus IS 200

Thats a nice article Matt...

The TomTom cradle comes with multiple mounting options...

1. Windscreen sucker

2. Ball & Joint (either sticky pad or screws)

3. Air vent clips (one i chose)

I have the Bluetooth module in the JDM dash tray, and will take a picture when i have a chance.

Hi,

Great Infor......i have some Questions - if anyone can tell me....

if might be odd...but i dont know much about GPS...

thinking of getting GPS for my Sony P900...

Once i buy a Bluetooth Mod, with the UK map software on it

is there any other cost ? ie rental.....

Or can i buy software for the P900 via sony data card....

where from ...

From my infor - Once i buy the product i can use it for free until i wish to

update the maps.....

is this right?

has anyone else got this?

thanks..

I've ordered mine from totalpda, and a new iPAQ 4150 to go with it.

I ordered a navman unit from them in the past and they were very efficient, hopefully they'll be the same this time.

Have you guys with the Bluetooth unit hard wired it? Do you switch the Bluetooth box on and off just when you need it? I was thinking of hard wiring the power so it would be on all the time the ignition is on, even when not using the ipaq.

• 4 weeks later...

I havent hard wired the power yet, but have used the ciggie lighter, via behind the stereo and from under the dash tray..

The Bluetooth unit is powered via the cradle, and you can either charge it at home (lasts about 4-5 hours) or there is a wire from the cradle to the unit.. I only use that wire if the Battery dies..

well, last week was a real tough test for the unit...

Lots of locations, and i relied completly on the TomTom unit (so only had the addresses)...

First one, inputted the first characters of the postcode, selected the street and off i went...

Now, it took me off the M4, and told me to head south for a location in Oxfordshire.. I really didnt trust it, so I pulled over, double checked the address, and sure enough, it said i should head south... so i put my faith in it, and it delivered me via a very nice backroad shortcut i would of never found myself...

The next day, another location, again i wasn't sure of its directions, but put my trust into it...

Unfortunatly, it took me to the wrong town..!!!!

However, the error was down to me... you see, you input the first 4 or 5 characters of the postcode, then the first few letters of the street and select the correct one from the list...

However, double check the postcode, as it will give you options that have similar postcodes!!!

So that error was down to the user!

Apart from that, a flawless demonstration, and it has filled my confidence in it..

The postcode / address system in TT3 is a bit suspect. Get a copy of the (free) Digitools postcode add-on from the PocketGps web site - uses the full 6/7 character postcode - takes you (almost) to the door.

Have a look at the TT forum on the same site about some issues with the address lookup system in TT3 - might save problems in the future.

With the exception of the above (and the TT3 / 2210 /BT lockup problem) TT3 is pretty good.

ah, v3.1 resolves the 'lock up' issue...

I will have a look on PocketGPS cheers!

*edit*

Looking at the webiste, it states it is for TT2, not 3? has this worked with your v3?

Edited by Fidgits