Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I have very recently bought a '98 LS400 and am desperately seeking a detachable towbar (Don't want to spoil the look of it!) Everywhere I go, short of Lexus itself, I am meeting a brick wall. A friend of mine does have a non-Lexus detachable towbar on his LS400. Can anyone help please?

Steve

I am told by my friend that the towbar justs bolts straight on....no problem! The only issue is whether I will have to go to Lexus for a detachable towbar or try to source one elsewhere. My friend's is a non-Lexus bar which he got from Motosave, who apparently don't do them for the LS400 anymore. Anybody else got any ideas, please, as my wife needs to get away with the caravan!

lexus want 1K for a towbar and electrics.. thats not inc fitting!

Also claim you have to have a new rad and oil cooler with is over another 1k which i find silly because other cars i have had never required new rads etc... i can understand it if your pulling a large caravan.. but a small box trailer is stupid.

I have towed a Buccanneer Elan 15 (22 feet end to end and 1215 kg) for all 3 years that I've owned mine, averaging 3000 miles a year towing. Orig radiator, no mods to A/C, goes like a train!

Sorry, the towbar maker has stopped doing one for the LS. I know another member had one fitted earlier this year. I have lost their details unfortunately, if Mari (the only bit I can remember of their name!) reads this then maybe she could help

Regards

Dave

all i want to tow is tiny trailer with club gear in it... aliminium frames, vinyl banners, gazeebos, plastic tabels and chairs.. wont be heavier than two people.. they have to be kidding if they think i need a new rad and oil cooler.

Used to pull a win axle trailer with concrete ornaments to shows in an old Mentego EFI and car was fine for years!

Caravans are not really that heavy!

strange how some members have a witter tow bar but they claim they do not offer any for Lexus

Brink Sound like they have one though

The Witter web site does claim they do one for the IS200 (it's listed under Toyota rather than Lexus :huh: ).

I got mine from a Lexus dealer who supplied a Brink one (so it would probably have been cheaper to buy it direct from Brink).

The Brink web site lists LS430 but not LS400 so I'm not sure whether that's any use.

• 4 weeks later...

I finally located a towbar through Watling Engineers Tel no 01727873661. It cost, including the ball about £260. The firm were very easy, patient and helpful to deal with on the phone and delivery was very quick. The chap who fitted it for me said it was well made. It is detachable, though you have to undo two bolts to take the bar off. Watling do not do a quick release detachable. Hope this information helps others. I also bought a transmission oil cooler from Kenlowe for £110.00, just to be safe!

Have a look a few topics down on "Climate control black screen".

There is a hyperlink on one of the replies there which takes you to a page talking about climate control screens and also about detachable tow balls for LS400's.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

STOP PRESS !!!!

I have just left Lexus Guildford this morning and they have a 'special' for sale. It's a tow bar for a 95 - 99 (I think) LS400 which is reduced from £800 to £100. I would have bought it myself but they said it was 5 hours fitting time as the exhaust has to be cut, dropped and re-welded and that they strongly recommend fitting an oil cooler. By the time you add up all that lot its still not a cheap proposition !

I think Lexus are just covering themselves when they suggest an oil cooler. My '93 140k LS400 tows a large caravan frequently in UK and now twice over 1000 miles in France and the temp has NEVER moved from centre spot where it always is.

(hopefully I'm not tempting fate...........)

Dave