Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Navigation Tv Tuner System Doa?

I apologize if this was covered before, and I almost expect it was, but I attempted searching and could find nothing. Quick overview:

Lexus GS430, 30amp fuse mounted near the Battery, powering a fuse panel mounted in the trunk. This fuse panel is powering all my additional electronics.

I recently picked up the Navigation TV Tuner System from AVElectronics (www.avelectronic.com) and attempted to install it. I hooked it up per the instructions to the wiring coming from the NAV unit to the display. If I disconnect any of those (4) connectors, the display responds, so I know the signal is going through it.

However, no matter what I do, I've been unable to get the tuner to override the NAV system output. The only area I am a little uncertain on was the parking break wire; I might be a moron, but it said it was a -12V DC connection, in which case for testing I just hooked it up to the fuse panel as well....Hopefully I'm not wrong enough that I blew some circuitry, but it didn't have any affect...the little green indicator light goes on and off, but still no signal.

I expect this isn't enough information to really get any assistance...but if someone else hooked the unit up, maybe they ran into the same problem. Thanks for any suggestions you might have...and I'll go back to banging my head against the car tomorrow. :)

You can also check on our knowledgebase system to see whether you have the correct RGB wires...As they did change from year to year.

You can also check the RGB wiring by removing one at a time to see whether you start loosing the individual colours on the display.

Are you also certian you have the IN and OUT wired the correct way round on the RBG switching harness.

Do you get the NAV system screen up correctly when it's all wired in...?

If not, I would look there first, get this part working as the RGB IN and OUT acts as a change over relay switch, so in theory, with nothing switching through it the NAV system should always be displayed..regardless of handbrake position.

After this has been tested and working then try your additional TV tuner switcher and AUX input wire wiring the handbrake wire to GND.

I hav'nt used this system before, but sounds very simular to a system I recently tested.

Thanks for the responses. I was getting the NAV up while it was wired through the tuner, and while the connectors are not RGB in themselves, I could disconnect them and lose different aspects of the signal, so I unfortunately couldn't blame it on anything to do with that signal. Turns out that even a momentary touch from that wire to a live 12V feed would blow the unit (kinda obvious) and as I was being careless, my best guess is the stripped end (all the wire were pre-stripped) hit one of my live fuses in the panel.

I'm shipping it back for warranty...they'll let me know what was up with it. So...while that is out, I'll be working on adding some switches to my steering wheel. lol Not sure if it will be best to go wireless, or disassemble the steering wheel/column and see what I can do in there. So much to do, so little time. Maybe I'll get started on building the computer, not sure where to mount it yet.

Ah well. Thanks :)

• 1 year later...

How did you get on with the AVElectronics unit in the end? Id be really intereted as there are rumours that it doesn't accept PAL inputs into teh unit. What was your experience?

squareeyes

Thanks for the responses.  I was getting the NAV up while it was wired through the tuner, and while the connectors are not RGB in themselves, I could disconnect them and lose different aspects of the signal, so I unfortunately couldn't blame it on anything to do with that signal.  Turns out that even a momentary touch from that wire to a live 12V feed would blow the unit (kinda obvious) and as I was being careless, my best guess is the stripped end (all the wire were pre-stripped) hit one of my live fuses in the panel.

I'm shipping it back for warranty...they'll let me know what was up with it.  So...while that is out, I'll be working on adding some switches to my steering wheel.  lol  Not sure if it will be best to go wireless, or disassemble the steering wheel/column and see what I can do in there.  So much to do, so little time.  Maybe I'll get started on building the computer, not sure where to mount it yet.

Ah well.  Thanks :)