Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Changed My Tyres Round

smw

2001 AUTO 200 SE

OK this is really weird.

On my car I had 2 Dunlop 2000 on the front – same tread and wear. On the rear was another Dunlop 2000 and 1 Dunlop 9000 with a different tread pattern. The spare is also a brand new Dunlop 9000. The 9000 tread is the 'arrow rotation' type and I have kept them n/s o/s as appropiate to tread pattern.

To try and even things up I put the spare 9000 and the other from the rear on the front and 2 2000’s on the back – thinking it’s best to have the same tread patterns on each axle (?). The worst of the 2000’s became my spare. THE CAR AND STEERING WHEEL PULLED VERY SLIGHTLY TO THE RIGHT.

So I swapped them over – put the 9000’s on the rear axle and the 2000’s on the front - THE CAR AND STEERING WHEEL PULLED VERY SLIGHTLY TO THE LEFT.

Just to convince myself I wasn’t going mad I returned it to the original configuration , 2 X 2000’s on the front, and 1 X 2000 and 1 X 9000 on the rear and it GOES DEAD STRAIGHT.

BTW – pressures OK all round and tracking checked and OK. Only thing not done in that region is rebalance of the wheels.

So . . . can you mix tread patterns on the same axle and any idea why it pulls when the same treads are together ?

2001 AUTO 200 SE

OK this is really weird.

On my car I had 2 Dunlop 2000 on the front – same tread and wear. On the rear was another Dunlop 2000 and 1 Dunlop 9000 with a different tread pattern. The spare is also a brand new Dunlop 9000. The 9000 tread is the 'arrow rotation' type and I have kept them n/s o/s as appropiate to tread pattern.

To try and even things up I put the spare 9000 and the other from the rear on the front and 2 2000’s on the back – thinking it’s best to have the same tread patterns on each axle (?). The worst of the 2000’s became my spare. THE CAR AND STEERING WHEEL PULLED VERY SLIGHTLY TO THE RIGHT.

So I swapped them over – put the 9000’s on the rear axle and the 2000’s on the front - THE CAR AND STEERING WHEEL PULLED VERY SLIGHTLY TO THE LEFT.

Just to convince myself I wasn’t going mad I returned it to the original configuration , 2 X 2000’s on the front, and 1 X 2000 and 1 X 9000 on the rear and it GOES DEAD STRAIGHT.

BTW – pressures OK all round and tracking checked and OK. Only thing not done in that region is rebalance of the wheels.

So . . . can you mix tread patterns on the same axle and any idea why it pulls when the same treads are together ?

Even though you changed them correctly you would still need to get them balanced as thats why the dont feel right.

Even though you changed them correctly you would still need to get them balanced as thats why the dont feel right.

Thought if I just moved them - shouldn't effect balance ? :unsure:

and by the way i wouldnt mix tread patterns on the same axle.surelly it cant be as safe as all the same. :ohmy:

Well I thought so as well.

Lexus supplied the car like this ? ? ?

maybe the same rating but different tyres will have different characteristics -one may be good in rain the other might not! should always have same type of tyre on the same axle - not a legal requirement just a common sense one.

may well be both dunlops but i am saying they are 2 different styles of tyre- 2 different handling characteristics, wouldnt want that on mine, wouldnt be too bothered if it was an old banger with no power, but as people keep mentioning the IS a twitchy back end anyway...........

Right - I've put the 9000 back on the rear so I now have a pair of 9000 on rear axle and 2000 on front.

As happened the other day (and it's only very slight) but the steering wheel is now slightly left. At least I have tread patterns right.

I'm hoping it's just 'cus one is new - I do about 500 a week so I'll leave it for a week - get some miles on the new 9000 and see if the steering straightens a bit once it has 'bedded in'. If problem remains i think I'll get Lex to take a look - can't have a car that only goes straight when you mis match treads !

Well my guess is that the 9000 and 2000 give different grip, therefore it's been balanced to eliminate this difference in grip by making it countersteer a little. But now you've got the same tires and it still wants to compensate for the difference in grip, therefore you swing to the left :)