Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Gutted

Involved in an accident this afternoon at 1330 hours (at Woolwich, London). Serious damage to the drivers door and some scratches to the rest of the right side. No injury. A Volvo estate ploughed into the car. I didnt see where he came from, but I suspect he either jumped a traffic light on my right OR overtook me from the right and tried to cut across. The cops came but since there was no damage, asked us to exchange details and let the insurers sort it out.

I have contacted my insurer (Directline) and they've been good so far. A repairer will contact me tomorrow to pick up the car and get it fixed at their body shop. They will guarantee the repairs so that the warranty will not be affected. I have a £250 excess on that policy.

The other guy gave me his details, car registration number, Insurer Name etc. and Directline will be making contact with his insurers to establish blame.

Any tips on what to look out for?

I will post pictures of the damage a bit later today and my neighbour (an industrial loss adjuster) has suggested that I go to the site of the accident and take some pictures.

If it requires a respray on the side that is damaged then this might invalidated your Lexus body warranty if the job is not done at a Lexus approved body shop? I'm sure someone will correct this if I'm talking cr*p :winky:

Yes go take some site photos, it helps to give your insurance company as much info as possible. Send the photos with your description of what happened. Take photos of the damage to your car as well to help them picture what happened while they read your account of the accident.

Sorry to hear about the accident, same happend to me last year...as you say, take plenty of pictures of the damage including the road and any junctions etc. and detailed diagrams, they always seem to want these....

I'd check - but my dealer told me that the warranty was invalid unless my car was repaired at a Lexus approved body shop. In the end the car was written off. However, they were insistant that the car *must* be repaired at an approved centre, otherwise the warranty was unvalid. I would check to be sure if I were you. I'd also want someone fixing the car that I trusted... at the end of the day the other guy's insurance will be paying... so go for the best - not some back street bodge monkey...

Agree with you Dave. This happened under the blackwall tunnel southern approach.

The story so far is that Directline are going to arrange to get their approved body shop to fix the car. I suppose it might need a new drivers door, plus a respray of the right rear door and some work around rear wing/rear bumper area. I am pretty certain Lexus will invalidate the warranty if the work isnt done at a Lexus dealer (who in turn might use the same bodyshop).

Should I insist that the work is done ONLY by an approved Lexus dealer (I dont know if I have a legal position on this as the policy fine print probably says that the insurer could get work done at any body shop)?

If the insurers establish blame with the third party, I have nothing to pay and if they dont, I am still going to have to stump of £250 as my excess. Why not get them to fix the car at the dealers.

Serious damage to the drivers door and some scratches to the rest of the right side. No injury. A Volvo estate ploughed into the car. I didnt see where he came from, but I suspect he either jumped a traffic light on my right OR overtook me from the right and tried to cut across.

The cops came but since there was no damage, asked us to exchange details and let the insurers sort it out.

There was damage, so how come the cops left :unsure:

You mean no was was hurt don't ya..

It's your choice where the car gets fixed - that's the law !! But...

the insurers can try to persuade you to someone they have a 'deal' with..

The 'deal' typically means ticks in boxes ...

cheap labour rate (tick)

repair parts cheaply not replace (tick)

provide courtesy car at no cost to insurer (tick)

Got soopa doopa hight tech buzzwordy kit (tick)

Employees who know how to paint (errrr, we may have had one at some point).

and so on.... I don't think there's a tick box about quality of workmanship.

In fact, probably a clause about 'condition may not be entirely restored'.

I call that the 'we reserve the right to do a crap job clause' :blink:

But as i said, it's YOUR choice where your car gets fixed.

Looking at the pics, hope the B post and sill haven't been bent and need pulling.

Bad luck mate - Nasty business ... :crybaby:

But at the end of the day it's just a car and nobody hurt ?? Ahem, whiplash :duh:

I would add to that from Tony, that when I had a smash in my beamer they wanted to ship it of to there approved repairer and I insisted that it goto a BMW dealer for repair, they never even tried to argue.

Good to know that I can insist on main dealer attention to get this mess sorted. Is there a London Lexus dealer who might be better than the others. Bromley is my local. I dont think there might be damage to the B-pillar but the door sill seems a bit out of shape so a new door (?) might be a reality.

There was no injury, which is why the cops left.

I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks for your help again. Is this is attitude that makes LOC a great place to be.

Good to know that I can insist on main dealer attention to get this mess sorted. Is there a London Lexus dealer who might be better than the others. Bromley is my local. I dont think there might be damage to the B-pillar but the door sill seems a bit out of shape so a new door (?) might be a reality.

There was no injury, which is why the cops left.

I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks for your help again. Is this is attitude that makes LOC a great place to be.

Ask for Ron @ Bromley..............they did mine and did it on time & delivered it to my door when complete