Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Xp Pro And Wireless Networking

Fargo

Need help guys..

Got my home PC running XP Pro whcih is connected to a broadband modem via a NIC. also in the home PC is a Netgear PCI wireless card.

Now i have another PC with a Netgear PCMCIA wireless card..

i want to share files between the two.

I have so far managed to get the interenet on the second PC albeit a slow connection it seems.

im having problems sharing files,, i cant see each PC on the network. i have put both pcs on the same workgroupd name..etc even running the wizard aint helping me..

Are the 2 wireless cards on the same IP subnet?

Is there any firewall software enabled on either of the wireless cards?

What are the IP's of the wireless cards and the wired card in the multihomed desktop?

Can you ping each PC from the other?

both wireless are on the same subnet

no firewalls anywhere,, (upgraded from xp home and left norton off for the time being till this is sorted)

192.168.0.1 wireless in the dell (home)

192.168.0.221 for the other pc (mini ITX)

however i have noticed that when i set up the wireless on the mini itx it has added a network bridge

What's the address of the wired card then?

XP has it's own built in firewall - that's not enabled is it?

This is a long shot but try this too:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;302348

That once sorted out some problems someone I know was having with XP and bridging (sort of thing you're trying to do).

You could also try disabling the bridging but you'd need to change your config slightly (leave the wired card on one subnet talking to the router and then use another subnet for the wireless cards, ie 192.168.1.0/24)

I think the best thing to do is to get a wireless router Paul

I have the same setup

Main PC with a network card wired into the router.

then a notebook with wireless card

another PC with wireless card

and my mini ITX in my car with Wireless card

the router is setup to automatically give out IP numbers

and any pc can talk to another pc as long as they are turned on.

have you disabled the built in nic port on the mini ITX?

maybe thats why your getting a bridge?

Ive never been able to get 2 network ports in one pc doing what I want them to do :(

192.168.0.1 wireless in the dell (home)

Is this one of your PC's that you've set up as the gateway?

If not you want

Ip address: 192.168.0.10/11 (one for each system)

Subnet: 255.255.254.0

Gateway: "Your Router/modem"

hmm the mini itx at the moment has 4 networks setup,, the on board nic, something called 1394, the wireless car and a bridged thing.

the bridged thing only came about when i did the wizrd to say that this pc connects to another and uses that internet.

both PC's can see each other in the workgroup but i cant drill down to see the shared folders.

Brettster. reagrds to a router,, i assume that i would need to get a wireless router..

the modem would plug into this via a cat5, then my dell would access the net via the wireless card, and the mini itx would also access the net via its wireless card.

and the sharing of files?? would this be easier via a router,, why..

ahhh of course... so thats alright then.

also guys what wireless router do you recommend.. i dont need one with fancy NAT's or stuff like that, just a simple router..

Fargo, are you using the same username / password combo on both machines? It's not something silly like a blank password is it as I think XP group policies are locked down pretty heavily for network access so you might want to have a look in there Local Security Policy) under administrative tools (you might need to turn that on in the start menu properties)

colin.. i thought NAT was a security thing.. ie your router will not give out your real IP address.

aido, i have no usernames of passwords set up as i am the only user of both pc's.

whitei,, can you explain what a network adaptor is.. as oppsoed to a router.

Network Address Translation.

Say your ISP give you one IP address "1.1.1.1" and you want to give your network "2.2.2.2 - 50"

It will allow you to change the IP addresses on your internal network then 1.1.1.1 will be the Default gateway you give to your PC's

(default gateway = Router)

Do you mean a wireless access point? That basically allows you to connect a physical network to a wired network - you have the broadband modem which you already seem to have, and then just plug the WAP into that - have you also got a small hub or switch to connect them both together? Some broadband routers / modems have a 4 port hub or switch built in.

As things are at the minute you're running in Wireless Peering / Adhoc mode, if you add an access point you would change to Infrastructure mode - basically means you have have more than 2 wireless cards talking to each other - don't know if you can use wireless encryption etc in adhoc - never tried it.

A wireless adapter is what you have in your PC to connect to the wireless network.

Paul, try these and see what happens.

On computer 1 run these commands:

net user fargotest Password1 /add

net localgroup administrators fargotest /add

net share test=c:\

Once they've done try these on the other computer:

net use \\computer1\ipc$ /u:computer1\fargotest Password1

net view \\computer1

If they work you should also be able to run either of the following two commands:

dir \\computer1\test

or

dir \\computer1\c$

What happens if you try those - bad username or password would point to a policy issue (youre not using simple file sharing as well are you? Disable that in the Windows Explorer properties)

what a network adaptor is.. as oppsoed to a router.

:lol: Didn't read that bit!

The adaptor is what you plug into your PC, you can set it up to talk to other PC's but at a slower speed, less security and does not have all the functions of a router (can only speak to one PC at a time)

The router will have things like DHCP DNS, firewall maybe, which means that you can have room for growth.. Where it "routes" :P packets/data to multiple pc's this means you will have a faster more stable connection.

thanks aido.. ill try that when i get home..

at the moment both wireless cards are on ad-hoc..

the modem is one supplied by blueyonder this connects to the dell via a nic.

so am i to switch the wireless card inthe dell to infrastucture mode.

cant try your suggestions till i after work anyways..

Leave it in adhoc mate, you only need to change to infrastructure mode if you get a wireless access point or a router with an access point built in

colin,, so with that router i can stick the modem into the router via a cat5, then i should configure the home network such that the main dell pc connects via the wireless and the mini itx also via the wireless.

question.. is there any reason or benifit to having the dell connect to the router via a cat5 and nic (as it is now)..

as for my bandwidth.. im already onthe 1meg connection,, are blueyonder increasing customers bandwidth then..

this router also mentions it has an access point. how would that work in the scheme of things..

The router is a wireless 'access point' so all wireless devices can talk to each other. If the PC is next to the router then I would use a fixed connection - easier to troubleshoot if you have connnectivity problems and better performance.

Yes you just plug it into the cable modem - you would need to register the mac address with Blueyonder.

Blueyonder are increasing download bandwidths to all broadband customers. Your 1Mb will increase to 1.5Mb :)

If the PC is next to the router then I would use a fixed connection

I have a wireless on my laptop... But I'd def choose a cable over wireless! Wireless can be a bit touchy at the best of times when setting up

cool then i shall order up one of them router things as recommended by colin.

1.5mg nice.. what about upload is that increasing,, have they outlined all this on there website..