Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

my airconditioning's not working, and a guy who was going to contact me hasn't, so i thought i'd try to get the climate control screen fixed soon, so that i could at least check the self diagnostic system, which i understand displays codes on the screen.

maria, i think you have a new UK source of supply for RHD 1990 cars screens? how much is it, including labour to remove, repair and refit, and how soon could you do it? :question:

maria, i think you have a new UK source of supply for RHD 1990 cars screens? how much is it, including labour to remove, repair and refit, and how soon could you do it? 

BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING!! I guess you have read the web site!

Yes I do have a fix, if you PM me with your phone number we can discuss what you want, and approx what it'll cost.

Unfortunately there's about two weeks delay at the moment because we've got a lot on plus we are moving into a brand new unit.

right - my lex is booked in friday this week to have the climate control screen changed for a new one imported from america. i'll let you know how it goes and what it costs, once it's all done and dusted!

for those of you who are bored with your black screens, this is where i'm going

by the time i've fixed everything thats' not working, i could have a bought a new one! :lol:

Greybeard: Clarify one thing for us. I've seen many postings in the US about fixing the blacked out LCD panels.

So if your new unit being fitted is imported from the US, will it be a UK spec display?

The US spec displays have everything the other way round, including the buttons. Plus the temp gets displayed in F, not C.

Thanks.

as i understand it these are not the same as the LHD versions; they are RHD but only fit 90-92, and the 93-94 are different again. the estimate seems a lot, but against the Lexus solution, it's much cheaper!

i'll know better on friday evening, all being equal!

screen done at D's! painless, except the self diagnostics are not! (not the screens fault, more the owners probably!) does anyone have a clue as to why the diagnostics are telling me '00' which means normal, when it's not working? the vents and fans work, temp indicator goes up and down, aircon light comes on, revs pick up 200 or so, clutch doesn't come in and pump doesn't run. fuse i guess, tho maybe lack of gas, but low gas code is 23 and i don't get told that. anyone offer any suggestions? gas recharge next wednesday, so maybe that'll fix it.

PS. if anyone is waiting for an email reply from maria at D's Autos, their web computer is down, so hang on for a bit longer!

Edited by GreyBeard

i took this off a posting some time ago. it may work for your car.

With the ignition off, whilst pushing both the buttons marked 'auto ' and the air re-circulate one with the picture of an arrow curling to the right, turn on the ignition.

All the little green indicators will flash, and the screen shows 00. press again the air re-circulate button and the system goes to sensor check. it goes thro all the heater vent controls, the button functions, incl front screen de-ice, temp change, etc, and a code appears in the display.

These are the codes

00=normal

11=inside temp. sensor

12=outside t/s.

13=After evap. sensor

14=water temp.heater radiator

21=solar sensor

22=compressor lock detected[short of refrigerant does this one]

23=coolant pressure

31=air-mix servo potentiometer

32=IN/OUT change damper servo potentiometer

33=Mode damper S/p

41=air-mix damper S/p.

42=IN/OUT change damper S/p

43 mode damper s/p

To cancel push the 'off' button

hope this helps

D's autos price was £300, which included taking it out of the car, repairing it, and refitting it. there were no scratches to the trim or anything; the car looked just the same as when they started, except the black screen was now the correct grey colour, which lit up green when ignition was on. they also replaced the back-light bulbs for both the screen and the push buttons.

all i need now is for the aircon to work and i'll be laughing!

Interesting. That's only £40 less than the price Lexus quoted me to change my unit over a few years back. I would have expected it to be considerably lower.

Here is a link that gives other LS400 owners tips on how to change the bulbs behind the A/C buttons if they are up to it.

http://www.lexls.com/climatebacklighting.html

as i understand it, someone else was quoted about £550 just for the new screen, pcb, buttons and lights, cos that's all lexus would sell, (with labour to remove and refit extra). i then looked around for a cheaper solution.

the site you gave the link for shows the american model (time and temp on opposite sides, and all buttons swapped round), plus the unit is different from the one in my car, and one of the bulbs is different. (there are three kinds of bulbs, although lexus reckon there are 8 in total, whereas i had 7).

based on what you've said i'll ask lexus what today's price is, and then i'll know whether i got a good deal or not!

i'm still happy with it tho! but it's odd that with all that screen, it doesn't show what the outside temperature is.

Cool. Lexus also quoted me 140 just to change the lights behind the climate control panel.

Yes, it is annoying they never put outside temp gauge in the Mk1 cars! Could get an aftermarket one, but it looks out of place on the dash!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
maria, i think you have a new UK source of supply for RHD 1990 cars screens? how much is it, including labour to remove, repair and refit, and how soon could you do it? 

BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING!! I guess you have read the web site!

Yes I do have a fix, if you PM me with your phone number we can discuss what you want, and approx what it'll cost.

Unfortunately there's about two weeks delay at the moment because we've got a lot on plus we are moving into a brand new unit.

New Lexus LS400 owner and member to this site. My 94 suffers from a blackened time and air con display. I was told by a Lexus main dealer that is is common and needs a new panel fitted, at a cost of £600.

Has anyone been able to resolve this a lot cheaper?.

thanks

Adrian Tate

New Lexus LS400 owner and member to this site. My 94 suffers from a blackened time and air con display. I was told by a Lexus main dealer that is is common and needs a new panel fitted, at a cost of £600.

Has anyone been able to resolve this a lot cheaper?.

thanks

Adrian Tate

I suppose I am the BIG BROTHERreferred to, who wishes to help fellow owners keep their cars in good shape, as a hobby and not for vast profit, any way here's a repeatof a previous posting for anyone interested, sorry for treading on toes I didn't realise there was an exclusive domain in place!

Hello All,

I have been in the motor repair trade (old school repair NOT replace) for the last 37 years, when my 93 LS400's air con / clock LCD failed I was determined not to pay Lexus £504 (£851 for a MK1 car) for a brand new unit when only the LCD had leaked.

As we all now know Jim Walker is probably the worlds most respected authority on these items, manufacturing replacements superior to the originals in that they have a far wider operating temperature, unfortunately Jim only makes MK1 right hand drive versions the wiring connections to these are totally DIFFERENT to the Mk2 version.

Recently I have been in frequent contact with Jim and have managed to adapt the wiring to a MK1 version to work perfectly in my MK2 car, I have also replaced the LCD's on MK1 cars, so now have a fair bit of experience with this problem.

Jim has kindly passed on my details to other 400 owners in England who have contacted him directly and has very kindly referred to me as his English agent.

:tsktsk:

Regards,

Chris Vince

Post censored due to breach of T&Cs

Edited by ColinBarber

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links