Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Any Lawyers In The House?

Righto, can anyone help with the following:

If an employee of more than 2 years takes voluntary redundancy when offered, can they claim JSA?

Can an employer reduce your working hours from full time to part time (changing hours obviously and changing to permanent nights) without any consequences and with 2 weeks notice?

What is anyone taking voluntary redundancy entitled to?

can anyone help? cheers

Righto, can anyone help with the following:

If an employee of more than 2 years takes voluntary redundancy when offered, can they claim JSA?

Can an employer reduce your working hours from full time to part time (changing hours obviously and changing to permanent nights) without any consequences and with 2 weeks notice?

What is anyone taking voluntary redundancy entitled to?

can anyone help? cheers

Not sure if you take voluntary redundancy that JSA will be paid...may get Income Support if partner isnt working

will deffo get working tax credit etc if partner working more than 16 hrs & kids involved

On changing your working pattern I'm sure he /she has to give consultation......

Seems to me that u have a case for constructive dismissal

think redundancy is a weeks pay for each year worked

not a lawyer but work in the benefits areana & know a bit about constructive dismissal :whistling:

its not me its the missus, we've both been made redundant twice already and we're only 26! :o

at the mo everyone in her department has been given the option of voluntary redundancy and been told in 2 weeks time a decision will be reached as to who is going and who isnt. 3 of the 8 will defintely be kept on with a slight change in working hours, a further 3 will be changed to permanent nights on part time hours, and 2 will be made redundant unless 2 voluntary redundancies have been accepted.

just going thru the options at the mo!

constructive dismissal is interesting dave if she were to be given new part time hours.

thanks for the replies fellas, much appreciated :winky:

anyone know about working hours and break entitlement. the part time hours that my missus may be changed to involve working 2 13 1/2 hour shifts with only a half hour break per shift, starting at 7pm and ending at 8.30am.

im sure ur entitled to more of a break than 30 mins? also the office has no rest area/canteen, so she would have the option of going out in the early hours (which i wont allow!) or sitting at her desk which aint really a break!

when i was a student and worked for sainsburys we had a 20 minute break for every 5 hours worked unless u were doing a full day and had a lunch hour.

If she works at a VDU then she must have a VDU break every 4 hours, company does not have to provide a canteen until they hit a certain amount of staff.

13 & half hour shifts? What company is it, name and shame. :angry::angry:

dont wanna name and shame just yet in case we go to tribunal. but i will say its a very large company whose magazines we all read!

Gwt all your papers/emails /contempereonious notes together..........Go to a solicitor. you get a 1/2 hour free consultation..........that way you should get some concrete advice.

being in the 21st century working 13 1/2 hr shifts seems a bit dodgy.

are u based in manchester ?

yep, manc land mr e.

we're gonna see wots said on monday and wot the other staff have to say and progress from there. oooo the excitement!!!

Hiya Wosket

I was made redundant last year, and the best resource for information is the DTI website.

You are entitled to only £250 for each year you have worked, but only if it is forced redendancy. If you (or your partner) takes voluntary redendancy you will have to arrange an appropriate compensation.

The EU Working time Directive governs how long you can be asked to work in a week. If I remember correctly there is a limit on the time a person can be asked to work as a night-shift - 13 1/2 hours seems Over the top.

I hope this helps.

Phil.

cheers phil, in fact thanks everyone who's commented. we've both been made redundant twice already in the last 5 years since graduating but this one isnt quite as clear cut as the previous. have taken on board what everyones said and done a bit of research so i we have a rough plan of action.

£250 per year worked is fine but what about a notice period? she's been given 2 weeks, i thought that should have been at least a month if u've been employed for more than 2 years, that was the advice i received from a solicitor the last time i was made redundant, although things may have changed since then.

they may even keep her yet!

Wosket

Regarding the hours being worked and alterations to them you need to have a look at your conditions of employment you should have received when you first joined the company.

It's suprising what a company can slip in and before you do anything I would suggest taking a look at it first and see what you have actually signed as agreement between you and the company.

Having signed it you may be struggling if they ask you to alter your working day length of working day etc, as it may be part of conditions of employment.

From what I remember don't quote me as I may be out of date but you must have at least 30 minutes break after the first either 4 /5 hrs and and 15 minutes after that but how long after I cannot remember.

What I do know is that lunch/tea breaks are not as long as one expects in law.

Realspeed