Wireless Networking

Bazza

to all the peeps who know whats what:

because i havent a clue ;)

have pc

have laptop

both on xp home

broadband on pc

want to link the two (and possibly another pc but not essential)

wirelessly

so i can use internet on laptop wherever i am in the house

whats best

who much

how easy

remember i am not in IT :lol:

Just been looking at similar. You need a wireless router, a pci wireless card for the desktop and a pc notebook wireless card for the laptop. At least this is what I was looking at. PC World have Belkin products for about £160 all-in. This would make both machines wireless which means you wouldn't need the desktop on to broadband on the laptop.

Still have a couple of questions though:

Does the modem / router need to plug into the laptop

Can you use it to network the two pcs ( look at files on laptop on the desktop & vice-versa ).

Does going wireless slow anything down? Think it quotes 54 mbps.

I haven't gone broadband was looking at telewest cable 512k + 50% free.

Hiya

You don't say what sort of Broadband you have got.

If you have cable Broadband, you will simply need a basic NAT translating router with in-built wireless hub, and a wireless card for your laptop. Most hubs have support for 4 networked machines and then as many wireless conenctions as you want. Typical price about £100

If you have ADSL broadband you will need a router that contains an ADSL modem and a wireless card. Typical price about £140.

The advantage of having a decent router, is that you will get hardware firewalls which will protect your machines from attack.

Hiya

You don't say what sort of Broadband you have got.

If you have cable Broadband, you will simply need a basic NAT translating router with in-built wireless hub, and a wireless card for your laptop. Most hubs have support for 4 networked machines and then as many wireless conenctions as you want. Typical price about £100

If you have ADSL broadband you will need a router that contains an ADSL modem and a wireless card. Typical price about £140.

The advantage of having a decent router, is that you will get hardware firewalls which will protect your machines from attack.

its the bt one

connects to pc via usb

has a little box with lights on :blush:

i got rid of xp home and went for xp pro, as it has better networking facitiltys.

got a linksys ethernet/wirelss router.

connected the modem to the router.

router to the main pc via a cable,

router to the second pc via wireless.

this enabled all pcs to share the interenet

xp pro detected the network automatically.

i had to enable log on passwords on both machines to share files,

home this helps.

Get yourself a wireless ADSL router (around £60-£100).

This will plug into your BT line, and also connect to your PC via an Ethernet cable (you may need a network card adding to your PC, around £5-£10).

Then you will need a wireless card for your laptop. An older, slower one will do (11Mbps) as your internet connection will only be 0.5Mbps (maybe 1Mbps). These can be obtained for around £20.

I use this setup and it works a treat. I've also got a HP Jetdirect box that mean either my PC or Laptop can print to the laser printer. (the printer plugs into the JetDirect box, and this plugs into one of the network sockets on the router).

I use the D-Link DSL-604+ ADSL Router, which you can buy mail order for about £70. It has just been replaced however with a new one (DSL-G604T) which I saw in PC World for £100.

With the router up and running and using WinXP, your PC is connected to the internet as soon as it boots - no need to dial up etc. Also, the router can protect your PC/Laptop from worms/viruses etc.

If you need anymore help, give me a shout.

Cheers

Phil

cool

just ordered the router and card

the one recommended by pobrown :)

all in for £70 B)

just need to wait for it to arrive then install it

somehow think that that is when troubles will start

cheers everyone

another query :

does a type 1 card reader work in a type 2 slot

it fits in ok but doesnt show up !! ;)

how do you switch your lapdog on ? :whistling::whistling:

just a short tug on the lead :winky:

btw . solved the card reader problem

was a bit technical , but i managed it

yes i turn the card up the right way :blush:

check www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk. lots of useful info there.

The latest protocol for networking 802.11g is 5 times faster than the 802.11b. However for those using broadband there will be no difference in performance. the difference will is when you try to share files across PC's. It's worth spending the extra 20 quid on a 802.11g router.

If your PC is sited next to the phone socket (which is where you would locate the router), you could save some money by not buying a wireless networking card for your PC. Instead use the onboard network card (or buy a new wired network card) and physically wire the PC to the router. Wireless network cards are about 30 quid. regular network cards are 7-8 quid.

ok got all the nesseccary equipment

first stumbling block !!

says connect modem to router

one is usb (bt broadband box)

one is an rj connector(router)

it dont fit

best solutions please

Looks like you have the wrong router

you can connect a lead from your PC's Lan port into the wireless routers dsl/cable port, but it would mean you have to have your main PC switched on for internet access to your lapdog

(you would need internet connection sharing enabled on your desktop too)

ooohhh what to do now ?

send it back, and hope they'll exchange it?

where did you buy it from?

eBay :blush::blush::blush:

ah.

so the answer is "shell out more money for the kit you really needed" I'm afraid.

you can look into using this to share your internet connection from the PC, but I wouldn't even consider that to be honest - thats not the way forward.

Stick this one on eBay, and buy the one pobrown mentioned from a reputable site with a returns policy :P

For what its worth - I just got all my SMC gear at nickknows.com - good prices, and great next day service.

their Dlink page is here - the one I think you need is at the bottom of the page

ah so i need one with a built in modem :crybaby:

told you i didnt know a lot :lol:

oh well, better order the right one this time

DSL-G604T W/Less ADSL Modem with Free G650+ PC Card

£92.82 inc VAT (£79.00 ex VAT)

32 in stock now

2645 estimated in stock 1-3 days

from dabs.com

can someone confirm this for me please

that sounds right mate - you should simply be able to plug your ADSL line into this router, and share your net connection that way.

thats what you wanted isn;t it ;)

yes .....i think

so i use lead from router to my telephone point ?

the modem supplied by bt can be left out ?