Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ever Considered A 3-series?

A taboo subject maybe, but since my LS400 has been in the bodyshop after my crash, they've given me a two BMW hire cars, one after the other. In the past, I have driven an IS200 Auto for one day.

So, I thought I would give my feedback. First time ever driving BMW. I'm comparing to the IS200 Auto I drove which had 17" alloys.

Both BMWs had 2 litre engines, so why do they write 318 on the back then!

Car1. 12 month old 318Ci, manual shift. 16" alloys (205/55/16).

Ride significantly worse than IS

Exhaust flimsy sounding compared to IS

Crap basic equipment

Interior dark and gloomy

Singleplay CD/radio is weak with little bass (my 12 year old LS sounds beefier)

Brakes not as good as IS

Handling was on par with IS, but was a bit fidgety also

Engine revs freely all the way to 6500 redline

Valvetronic which means you get another dose of power around 4000rpm

Engine was doing 2,800rpm in top at 60mph

Car2. 6 month old 318i auto saloon with steptronic box. 17" alloys (225/45/17).

As couple plus,

Horrible lumpy ride - feel every bump

Tramlines so badly - never had that issue with the IS

Same bog standard spec - ooooh, but comes with a centre armrest

Engine feels noiser in this to coupe, and so much noiser compared to IS

Sounds like a tractor compared to IS

Not that quick to downshift compared to IS

Has steptronic (which IS didn't when I drove it), but very slow to react. Took 2 seconds to get into second gear after manually shifting from 3 to 2. Dangerous if you ask me!

I don't understand why people make so much of a fuss about these cars. IMHO, the IS was much much nicer to drive, particularly round roundabouts! Much more surefooted and sharper.

i was looking at a 3 series coupe but went for the IS due to the equipment and value for money. i also didnt think i could afford an IS for some reason!

i do however really like the new 5 series, wasn't that keen at first but its really grown on me lately, as has the new 6 series coupe. however i have lexus blood now!

i chose the IS over a 320Ci just because it was more original and i liked the styling and equipment levels.

got nothin against bmw jus the fact theres 2 many of them

found an M3 (E46) i like but insurance is doubtful

There are a lot of affordable old 3 Series BMW's about that are falling into the hands of the 19-25 year old age bracket. And these people are unfortunatly driving them like complete :tsktsk: T055ERS :tsktsk: which is giving the 3 series a bad reputation, thats the main reason why I went for a Lexus over the 3 series (didnt want to fall into that 4R5E-H0LE stereotype image). In about 5+ years time though, the IS200 may well fall into the same trap :unsure: but i guess we will all be moving on up the Lexus ladder by then :D

Yep ! and its nice that somedays whilst driving I never see another IS all day ! :lol:

3 Series? :yack: :yack: YUK !

I have previous for owning one.

I liked it, but it lacked a little...............something, and then I bought the IS200.

Not looking back! The E46 shape is nice to look at, reliable, the badge leads reputation as a leading MARQUE, I preferred the interior, but it was uncomfortable on long journeys.....and

"I could get a Haynes manual to do work myself, wish I could get one for the IS200/Altezza." That is the most important factor! (so a let down on that aspect).

I got disguisted looks yet again Jeans and rugby shirt dont go.

i still get those kind of looks when i visit a lexus dealership!

dont think they like my skinhead either :unsure:

a big negative. On turning in on a corner, the "BMW Boat" felt heavy and didnt turn in sharp.

THE ALTEZZA I HAVE--------TURN THAT WHEEL, THE FRONT DIGS IN AND DIRECTION CHANGES SO QUICK-IT IS FUN!

To be honest, I felt more of a "prestige" and higher status when driving the beemer than I do the Altezza to be honest (Wierd-cant explain that one)

But yes, it is now a mass produced, over supplied car, and thus residuals are going to plummet, you see one everywhere. Luckily I got out quick and didnt lose too much cash. I think the new 3 series is out 2005, and prices will further plummet again with oversuply and everyone (maybe) wanting the new shape.

A taboo subject maybe, but since my LS400 has been in the bodyshop after my crash, they've given me a two BMW hire cars, one after the other. In the past, I have driven an IS200 Auto for one day.

So, I thought I would give my feedback. First time ever driving BMW. I'm comparing to the IS200 Auto I drove which had 17" alloys.

Both BMWs had 2 litre engines, so why do they write 318 on the back then!

Car1. 12 month old 318Ci, manual shift. 16" alloys (205/55/16).

Ride significantly worse than IS

Exhaust flimsy sounding compared to IS

Crap basic equipment

Interior dark and gloomy

Singleplay CD/radio is weak with little bass (my 12 year old LS sounds beefier)

Brakes not as good as IS

Handling was on par with IS, but was a bit fidgety also

Engine revs freely all the way to 6500 redline

Valvetronic which means you get another dose of power around 4000rpm

Engine was doing 2,800rpm in top at 60mph

Car2. 6 month old 318i auto saloon with steptronic box. 17" alloys (225/45/17).

As couple plus,

Horrible lumpy ride - feel every bump

Tramlines so badly - never had that issue with the IS

Same bog standard spec - ooooh, but comes with a centre armrest

Engine feels noiser in this to coupe, and so much noiser compared to IS

Sounds like a tractor compared to IS

Not that quick to downshift compared to IS

Has steptronic (which IS didn't when I drove it), but very slow to react. Took 2 seconds to get into second gear after manually shifting from 3 to 2. Dangerous if you ask me!

I don't understand why people make so much of a fuss about these cars. IMHO, the IS was much much nicer to drive, particularly round roundabouts! Much more surefooted and sharper.

maneesh, the cars are 2 litre,as a 318 and even the 316i is a 1900 engine.

This is because the 4 cylinder engines are 1900cc as standard, but they didnt want to drop the traditional marques of the 316 and 318 etc, as they have history/heritage.

• 2 months later...

3-series ought to come with a free baseball cap. They're for w :tsktsk: ers who can afford more than just an RS Turbo to race around Tesco's car park in. I feel sorry for anyone who's bought one to show a bit of class, 'cos they'll get lumped in with the rest of the boy racer brigade.

BMWs and Mercedes are supposed to be "posh" cars, but if you want to show off a bit you can't do it with a 3-series, it's got to be a 5 or 7 series now.

I wouldn't go for one though. Just bought by first Lexus, an N-reg GS300. Always driven Toyotas (82 Corolla Estate, 86 Corolla, 90 Carina II, 96 Carina E) so it's a natural progression really.

Once it's sorted (oil drip fixed, new cambelt, B-service) I look forward to getting to grips with it.

Hand's up in the air - I looked at a 318 way back in 2000. Shortlist contained the 318, IS200, and Accord Type-R. BMW salesman gave a really crap value on my then 2 year old Accord Coupe. Type-R was fast, but very hard. I was sold on the Lexus the second I started her up on the test drive! Never looked back until earlier this month when she went on to pastures new.

I was looking at beemers for a while before I decided on a Lexus (seems like I'm not the only one!).

The problem with BMW now seems to be that if you want to get anything decent you really have to pay a lot of money - there's loads of 316s, 318s, compacts, and things like that out there but they're nothing special - if you want something like an m3 or a soft-top coupe then you're paying an absolute fortune. At the end of the day, you're not really getting good value for money.

The whole BMW brand image is changing anyway - the 1 series is coming out soon, 316s are common as muck, and lots of older beemers are now falling into the hands of pikey/chav types. I keep seeing p1mped out 5 series all over the place (eg. blacked out windows, lowered, cheap body kits, lots of bling, etc.). A young lad in the office has just bought a G reg 530 - cost him about a grand :o

I got my IS200 last September & havent looked back, although I did look at a 3 series... the thing that put me off was thier reluctancy to take me for a test drive (wanted me to book an appointment) & the list of extras is like an Oxford dictionary, I think even a CD player is an optional extra, so by the time i'd added the same spec as my '200, I was looking at a near £30k car

:ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

Stuart

I was looking at 320d and A4 1.9tdi before the Lex ONLY because i thought the Lex was much more expensive!! Got really put off beemers due to common factor, so the plan was to get a A4 tdi until the IS MK2 diesel came in 05/06.... :unsure: But then one insurance quote from audi put me right off £3k under my fathers policy and Lex was £1.5k (I was 19 at the time)!!! So that made the final decision made B)

Anyways, i'm really happy that I got the Lex 1st time around. I looking back on it, how did i even consider an 3 series or A4 :sick:

Have never considered a BeeEmm myself, probably because of the bad image and the fact they're so common.

In it's defense, my mate bought a 3yr old 325i SE. Firstly it is very quiet and solidly built. Secondly, it's quick - easily as quick as my IS300, if not quicker! Thirdly, it's comfortable on long runs.

However, points against are - firstly, it is sooooooooo common, every @***hole has one. Secondly, it's true all BMW drivers are monsters (even my mate). And lastly, the dealership is a bunch of rogues!

If I couldn't buy a Lex, I'd probably go for any other compact exec than a 3-series!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links