Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Warranty

Could I have your thoughts on this situation please...

I bought my IS200 on the 20th of March - it's coming up to three years old (manufacturers warranty runs out in September). When I was handing over the dosh and signing all the paperwork the salesman at the dealership made a point of mentioning that the warranty wouldn't start until after the manufacturers warranty ran out in September (therefore basically meaning my car would have a Lexus warranty until September 2005). At the time I was well impressed by this. It seemed to make perfect sense - why pay for a warranty policy when the car was still covered by the manufacturers warranty anyway? Why didn't all car dealers do this? etc. etc.

A couple of weeks ago I received my warranty pack from AON. The expiry date for this policy is now the 13th of March 2005 and the policy number has changed from the one I signed in the dealership when I picked the car up.

I contacted AON but they just said that all their paperwork is correct and they don't have any details concerning the policy I signed at the dealership.

I tried contacting the dealership but the salesman I dealt with when I bought the car seems to be always in meetings, on training courses, or with customers. No one else at the dealership was prepared to deal with this.

I next tried contacting Lexus Customer Services who have stated that it is standard practice to only issue warranties that only run 12 months from date of purchase (even though technically the policy started one week before I bought the car).

I've told Customer Services that I'm not happy about this but they don't really seem all that interested in sorting things out. Anyone have any ideas on where I stand?

ive had new Lex 12mth warranty every year since original ran out and always get new number, to prevent fraud etc. So i was advised, and so far never been a problem when needed. You should have waitied till original rang out, you get auto notification to ask if you want to renew.

salemen you didnt believe him did you? from top range to bottom there all the same.

I would contact the dealer principle of the dealership you bought the car from and describe what the salesman told you, see what his views are and if he says you are only entitled to 12 months warranty from the date of purchase ask for an explanation as to why the salesman misled you.

Maybe they can come to some arrangement with you about servicing etc.

Good luck.

:blink::blink:

Will be interesting to see what they say.

I always understood all used cars would come with a minimum of 12m warranty - either remainder of manu. one (as in this case) or the AON one if the manu. one did not meet the duration.

I have renewed my extended warranty twice now and each time AON have cocked the dates up - they always use the date the application forms were signed (did you sign up on the 13 March by any chance ?) - each time I have had to make loads of calls to dealer and AON to get it corrected - I now keep my original copies because of this ...

Let us know how you get on - good luck.

When I brought mine from Lexus Park Lane, they gave me a used car Lexus warranty which lasted 1 year from the date of my purchase.

My used Lexus purchase was carried out almost a year from new ( brought the car almost a year old). Surly if they did continue 3 years manufacturers warranty I would have been offered this.

I was then offered to extend this near the time it ran out, which I did for about £400+.

I don't know if it's common practice for the dealers to keep running the warranties through, most of them are not transferable from a new 1st time owner to the 2nd owner (the 3 years warranty offered on new purchase to first owner)

My used Lexus purchase was carried out almost a year from new ( brought the car almost a year old). Surly if they did continue 3 years manufacturers warranty I would have been offered this.

I was then offered to extend this near the time it ran out, which I did for about £400+.

Steve mate you've been had.

Lexus comes with 3yr (or 60k mile) europe wide manufacturers warranty.

Here's a snippet from the service / warranty booklet ....

quote.

What happens if i sell my Lexus?

The Lexus warranty is automatically transferred at no cost to subsequent owners.

endquote.

I just had a phone call from the dealer. He admitted on the phone that he "made a mistake" and "may have slightly misled" me. They are still sticking with an expiry date of March 2005 (except now they've added an extra week just so it actually matches up with the day I bought the car!).

I'm still not happy so I've contacted Lexus Customer Services again. :angry:

I've just emailed BBC Watchdog too just in case they have any suggestions (I'm not expecting much from them though, I guess they'll just say it's a petty misunderstanding and it serves me right for trusting a dodgy Lexus dealership).

Is the warrenty extention an insurance pollicy from AON if so you might get some luck with the Finiacial Services Ombudsmen or whoever deals with the Insurance, as this is a clear case of misselling and the dealer could be in a lot of trouble. Also have a word with the citizens advice buraux as you might have a claim against the dealer in the small claims court for the lost amount of the policy. It would not look good for dealer having CCJ's so as a goodwill gesture would pay you off.

good luck.

I had another phonecall from the dealer, this time it was the sales manager, I think Lexus Customer Services contacted them again asking what is going on.

Basically the situation is...

1. The salesman DID make a mistake when he sold me the car. Hence why I received a different warranty policy a few weeks after (I guess they hoped that I wouldn't notice the error).

2. If I do continue to push this issue then I can have the warranty extended to September 2005 (Lexus Customer Services appear to be on my side about this).

3. The cost of extending the warranty will come directly out of the pocket of the salesman who sold me the car. :ohmy:

4. "what goes around comes around" (the sales managers exact words). I guess this has two meanings - either...

...I drop the issue then the dealer "might do me a favour" in the future - maybe a free wash and polish if the car goes in for a service? Maybe a nice card on my birthday? Maybe a special deal when I decide to trade my car in? Nothing specific was mentioned.

...or I continue to push for the warranty, which I'll get as I've got the paperwork to prove it, etc. but I'll end up cheesing the dealership off, be known as a troublesome customer, probably have to take my car elsewhere when it needs a service or any work doing, etc. etc. :unsure:

So anyway, I'm not really into having this hassle drag on any longer so I said I'd drop it... okay, I'm losing out on over 6 months of Lexus warranty but anything for an easy life. I just want to get back to enjoying my car again and not worry about the warranty anymore.

At least it proves that complaining to Lexus Customer Services does actually work!

I'd tell them to get ****** if they said "What goes around comes around" to me - they made the mistake and it's not your fault - you're asking for what they sold to you.

If they treat you any worse in the future due to this then I would have thought Lexus GB wouldn't take kindly to this.

If they're going to get petty then I'd take what was owed to me and then take my business elsewhere.

We shall see... I don't think he meant it as a threat or anything (though I would have preferred to have it in writing - maybe that's why sales people always prefer the phone!).

I'm dropping it for now but if I feel that I'm not being treated fairly or I ask for a favour that they don't deliver on then I can always resurrect the issue of the extended warranty... Just because I'm dropping this issue now doesn't mean I can't bring it back up in a few months time if they start messing me about.

Definitely wouldn't recommend a Lexus to any of my friends or family though - really nice cars but the dealers suck.

As they are in the wring and have admitted liability I would insist on either the warranty or perhaps free servicing vouchers. But either way get something in writing.

This will not cost them much, just the labour, as the 10000 mile service is basically an oil and filter change which will cost them about £10 in parts and oil.

I would expect them to do this for you to keep your future custom and LEXUS GB happy, after all their after sales service is second to none. :whistling:

You are entitled to what the salesman sold you.