Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hello,

I just wanted to say HI...If you see my description probably you've found out I'm from Poland.

I bought by LS (1990) 3 months ago. Here, in PL, it's very hard to find the LS in good codition. I was lucky... Excluding these all things like black climate control (rather dark, because I can sometimes see the hour) and burnt out needles or PS pump and rack leaking everything was good.

But. There is always "but". And the problem is => fuel consumpcion.

Because my fuel gauge isn't working good (when I fill my tank up it shows little more than 3/4 full) I can't base on it. I can only say that when low level light turned on I did 260 miles or even less. This gives me pretty good reason to ask you what is wrong.

Of course I was driving in the city all time. Traffic here is rather big, lights every corner ect.

260 miles on a tank gives me 12/13 mpg. I think this isn't normal. I do not have heavy foot.

What else can I say. I tried to drive very econo. Never over 2000 rpm, and never over 60mph of course I was gently touching the pedal. What I get?? 16,5l/100km.

So my question is: what is wrong and what should I change???????

Any help would be apreciated.

My Regards

simcom@op.pl

Try taking it on a run out of the city and see what mpg you get then. In stop/start traffic the mpg will be poor (I would have thought around 15mpg).

Have you checked the normal things? e.g. air air filter isn't dirty, tyres are at the correct pressure.

For someone who is never driving above 2000rpm, that is BAD fuel economy. Even when driving the car with a very heavy right foot and lots of kickdown, I've never got less than 14mpg. You sound be getting 18-20mpg with your style of driving.

I agree with Colin, plus:

When were spark plugs last changed?

Are fuel injectors dirty? Perhaps buy that bottle you add to full tank which can help clean the inside of the engine.

How clean is the engine oil?

When was the oil filter last changed?

Are you driving with the windows open all the time? This can seriously affect drag.

HTH.

yes, windows were closed. A/C was also off.

Air filter is clean, looks like new and was also treated by the compressed air.

What else can I say.

I don't know about fuel injectors, they just are, I dont see them.I was thinking about adding some STP fuel system cleaner.

Sparks are hmmm re-changed - not new, but in better condition, otherwords - newer.

Rotors distributors and caps are also "re-changed" for newer ones.

Plug wires are 1990 original (probably the cause of my problems?????)

O2 sensors are working correctly - there was no code about them in the tester.

Intake temperature sensor - there was the code about it, whatever this means.

Fuel filter - old , original.

Pressure in tyres is good.

Oil was changed 2 weeks ago, filter the same.

ohhh, there is one thing about those sparks, rotors, distributors and oil... I had a problem with my mechanic...actually very big (He didn't want to give me back my LS on time), so there is possibility that he didn't change these parts, he was just cheating...=> yes yes...I was wrong about him, now I know he is an idiot. I heard that he is the best mechanic in Lexus Dealer, but I also heared about his cheating other people UNFORTUNATELLY a little bit too late...

I use normal unleaded 95 octane fuel...

It may be worth getting new HT leads although probably won't increase mpg much.

Intake temp. sensor shouldn't be causing a code. Worth getting that fixed. I think the ECU will just assume a temp. of something like 20c if it isn't working so shouldn't cause too big a problem. If it's not working then mpg could go down a bit.

could you explain "HT leads"??? I see this name for the firs time...what is this???

There actually were codes from that sensor...it was strange for me, I thought that they were wrong, that they were thinking about mass air flow sensor but no...it was intake temp sensor...

HT Leads = Plug wires, as you call them!

Regarding your temperature sensor being faulty - It could think that the engine is always cold, hence running with an enriched mixture?

Could be worth checking?!?

Cheers,

Will

Regarding your temperature sensor being faulty - It could think that the engine is always cold, hence running with an enriched mixture?

The coolant temp sensor is used by the ECU for engine temp.