Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cheapish Sat Nav

Glad to be of service nick!

I'd be very much surprised if there were any left now. My local Aldi alledgedly only got 10, and people were queueing there from about half 8 (they open at 9). My mate got me mine and she was 9th in the queue at quarter to nine. :D

I also heard Aldi in sheffield also only got 10, and by 9 o'clock there were 19 people queueing! Some of the larger stores down south got about 50, but my guess is there all gone.

I imagine your best bet now would be to hope to get lucky and hope someone returns one back to them.

Indeed i got mine from cambridge..... Like i say it was worth the wait and believe me it was some wait 2 checkouts open and 20 people queueing!!!

It was i believe a really good deal.

... the guy had them under the till so you had to ask for them i had a look but didnt see anymore under there.

If you can get one then i reckon you will be very pleased with it.....I had been looking for a while but £400 was the average price i could see...... a saving of £130 seemed like a good deal to me.

Her inddors is driving from stansted to Newcastle on sunday so will lend it to her and see how it works.

I will report back on how she gets on sunday night as my testing it driving round town is not that hard for it.

Once again thanks letting me in on this on

Nick

Thank you for this posting!! Otherwise I never would have got my new toy!!

I've been having great fun with this! Downloaded POI-Warner so I could download all the POIs(Point of interests) like speed cameras, hotels etc.

Set off for our local 30mph Truvelo speed camera and as I approached it a voice warned me "Danger zone ahead", I was doing 40mph before I could see the camera and a voice warned me "Slow down your speed is in excess of the speed limit". The icon on the screen showed 30mph sign.

I'm off to Portsmouth tomorrow for work so I've created my self a route on the maps on the PC and exported that to th Pocket PC. See if it willl find my hotel and warn me its coming up.

the aldi in germany has them tomo and for about the same price - think ill have a look in the morning.

so if anyone wants one 100% then i will will see if i can get one BUT there will be the extra cost of postage of course!

ok i got one today but it looks like i will have to return it tomo.. :crybaby::crybaby: I knew before that it will be in german, but i thought that it could be changed to whatever language u wanted -- WRONG, looks like i will have to start editing the rom file etc, cant be bothered and cant get the acvitsync working properly either.

You Can afford the Lexus you can afford to pay for it...........seriously all in its like £30 get poi warner and then subscribe to get the speed cams you get all the other bits free i.e mcd's kfc burger king..............£30 is a small price to pay for the software consideing you could pay £500 for a gps warning system with a 1/10 of the functionality. Nick

ok its very simple get software from HERE costs 29 euro then follow instructions bla blah blah so this will install POI HANDLER you need to have your Pocket pc synced with your computer to download it.....

Then pop over to HERE and here you can download all of the POI for your navigator the POI handler runs on top of the nav software but is invisible in use......it may take a bit of playing around to get it set up how you want it but it is really quite simple the Speed cams cost £8 ish which you can pay through pay pal but it tells tou how to do it.

You will however need to find or make new WAV files as all it has is "WARNING" and its pretty annoying when you drive past burger king and its warning you about it.

Also i found last night the Mc Donalds POI has no info but it may of been my download didnt work very well.

You may find some of the info isnt exactly where it should be i.e shops not quite on the same street as you know they are but if you are away from your home town im sure it will put you pretty damn close to where you want to be.

Have a play around with it and im certain you will agree it is money well spent.....

I didnt mean to be rude just still saving for a new car and get annoyed sometimes as all my spare cash goes into that.

Good luck Nick

Ill be unable to help you with any more Q's as im off on my hols now but im sure you will find it very easy to sort out.

• 5 months later...

certainly does

basic operation involves input town name, then provides full list of streets/roads in that town, you can then select house number after that if required. All very straight forward, even though it does sound long winded :wacko:

From what i can gather, Aldi have a pretty good, no quibbles 12 month return policy anyway, so if he isn't happy with it, there should be no problems returning it

Whilst it may not be all singing, all dancing like some of the other brands, for the price i've found mine well worth it. This one looks slightly different to mine, but in essence, i would imagine it runs the same

Be warned though, if it's anything like the last batch, most stores only got about 10, and they had more than that in people queueing up outside before opening. You need to be an early bird to catch this worm :lol::lol::lol:

The new Medion has the GPS built into the card (previous one had a mouse didn't it?) so it only needs a single power source. Looks like the PDA/GPS is actually fully portable too so you can attach it to your bike, motorbike, or even use it on foot - sweet and neat!!!

My local Aldi is only getting 23 of them this morning so I guess they've already sold out :crybaby:

I bought one yesterday afternoon. My local Aldi had only received 23 and most had been "reserved" so they don't hang about long!

I took it out of the box the moment I got back to the car and had it all up and running in a couple of minutes - really easy to use. You get lots of accessories in the box, I'm not sure that the carry case is designed for this model though - seems far too big.

The Medion maybe feels a little bit flimsy compared to other PDAs I've used in the past (I have an old Ipaq 3630 sat next to it at the moment) but it seems to do the job well.

The Nav software is very good (especially for the price), the voice is pleasant and it didn't have any problems at all directing me home. I even tried catching it out by missing a turn-off and it immediately recalculated the best route home - impressive!

The built-in GPS is an excellent idea - it could come in very handy trying to find somewhere on foot but I'm not sure I'd fancy fixing it to a motorbike or bicycle though!