Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cheapish Sat Nav

Don't know whether any of you guys saw this deal last time it was going on, but Aldi are doing the cheap PDA/Sat Nav deal again, as of Thurs 13 May

Details

Although the info there says 'major roads of UK and Europe', i've heard that the instore leaflets are saying full uk roads (which you'd obviously expect). Even if it isn't, they're on a 12 month no-quibble money back guarantee anyway.

I think last time it was about £350 so it's quite a saving, and i'm pretty sure that it's the same as the Big H's bundle that retails at about £400!

Must admit i'm quite tempted. Only real problem i've heard about from the last batch is that there were a few problems with the Active sync A few more details here

Did anyone buy it last time it was on offer?

hmm i think its a bargain

any active sync problems would be generic to any PDA as they all use the same MS operating system

not quite sure how it plays DVD'S tho lol

I'm not clued on PDAs at all so this maybe be a silly question. Can you set this up to warn about speed cameras like Road Angel/SNOOPER/ORIGINBLUE etc.??

Yes, you can download Points Of Interest (POI) files from the net that lists where all the speed cameras are.

The pda won't detect a speed camera like a Snooper or a BEL would - it just has a database of cameras that it will tell you about if you go anywhere near where it *thinks* there is one.

I have an old Ipaq 3630 that I'm still trying to work out if I can use as a gps box, if I give up on this idea I might go for one of those medions instead.

you can use a 3630 in fact it doesnt run any different to the very latest pda's despite the speed differences between them

you would need something like the navman jacket which gives you gps and also a compact flash socket for storing the map data.

I was using this setup until very recently. worked great with tomtom 2 software

you can use a 3630 in fact it doesnt run any different to the very latest pda's despite the speed differences between them

you would need something like the navman jacket which gives you gps and also a compact flash socket for storing the map data.

Ooh, interesting - how much did that cost you?

I've heard of the Navman jacket before but it seems a bit expensive (even without the cost of the Ipaq, I worked out that a full satnav package based on the 3630 comes out at over 300 quid which is a bit steep considering the price of the Medion now).

Don't know whether any of you guys saw this deal last time it was going on, but Aldi are doing the cheap PDA/Sat Nav deal again, as of Thurs 13 May

Details

Although the info there says 'major roads of UK and Europe', i've heard that the instore leaflets are saying full uk roads (which you'd obviously expect). Even if it isn't, they're on a 12 month no-quibble money back guarantee anyway.

I think last time it was about £350 so it's quite a saving, and i'm pretty sure that it's the same as the Big H's bundle that retails at about £400!

Must admit i'm quite tempted. Only real problem i've heard about from the last batch is that there were a few problems with the Active sync A few more details here

Did anyone buy it last time it was on offer?

£269!!, for everything? :ohmy:

Ooh, interesting - how much did that cost you?

I've heard of the Navman jacket before but it seems a bit expensive (even without the cost of the Ipaq, I worked out that a full satnav package based on the 3630 comes out at over 300 quid which is a bit steep considering the price of the Medion now).

yes its quite expensive to buy the jacket

when I got mine there wasnt as many options as now

but the medion would be a better buy i think at that price

Hmm, I have a Navman jacket that I used for my 3850, but it seems that it works for 36xx up. I have got satnav in the car now, so I don't really need it!

If it still works, you could make me an offer for it;)

Hmm, I have a Navman jacket that I used for my 3850, but it seems that it works for 36xx up. I have got satnav in the car now, so I don't really need it!

Tenner? ;)

Hmm, I have a Navman jacket that I used for my 3850, but it seems that it works for 36xx up.  I have got satnav in the car now, so I don't really need it!

Tenner? ;)

Hmmm :angry:

It was about £250 when I bought it (still paying it and the PDA off actually!).

It was about £250 when I bought it (still paying it and the PDA off actually!).

250? You could get a brand new Medion for that!! :hehe: :yack: :hehe: :yack:

I'm still deciding whether to just throw the 3630 away, seems more trouble than it's worth anyway (why is it such a pain to get anything working on these Ipaqs?!)

I might just go for the cheapest satnav option - buy a decent road atlas from Smiths and look at road signs a bit more often.

This was about 2 years ago!

I'll take £120 for it if you are interested, and if I can find it!

I'm not desperate to sell it or anything, it just seems that its your cheapest option and would be better than a cheapy PDA+satnav combi!

And seeing as you have the IPAQ already...

First up THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU....................

I went out and got one of these today...was well worth queueing with all the people doing there shopping.

Got me back the 34 miles from cambridge to stansted airport and then to my house even though i ****** her off by ignoring all her directions round my local town.....she just kept sending me the right way......DAMN no excuses for being late home now....

Then me and my dad put in a random road in town and she took us straight there.... NOW that i was impressed with.

It has some software to let you do stuff with DVDs on it but ive only it 2 hours so have no idea what it is like......I was really intrested in it for the SAT NAV and that it would appear to do very well.....it shows all the petrol stations (you guys in your lexus need that......i have a diesel :D ) It shows hospitals and hotels and well most stuff you need havent checked it out for Mc Donalds yet!!!!!

It has a clear screen and a loudish speaker so all in for £269 GO BUY ONE!!!

If any one has any Q's feel free to ask.

Once again thanks for this.

Nick

Ha ha ive been using it a bit more.....it will let me put in postcodes as far as

CM23 3 then you can add the road and off you go......... it also has hotels etc etc.

Im off now to see if it will get me the 3 miles too work :lol::lol::lol:

Lets see how it does with a few special detours on the way there!!

Where do you live Nick?

I'm just down the road from the airport aswell!

What do you drive?

Me too! In Harlow (well Church Langley ;) )

Which store did you buy it from Nick, Chelmsford? Do you think they will still have stock on saturday?

Well, the satnav got him from Cambridge to Stortford....it must be faulty if he was actually leaving CHELMSFORD at the time :lol::lol::lol: :P

I'm in Little Hallingbury, but I work in Harlow. Pop into the Sony Centre and say Hi sometime :)

I'm convinced of this deal now. The website is not listing it as a special buy anymore. Does that mean it's finished?

Also, what time to Aldi's close? The website doesn't tell you and Aldi deliberately avoid listing in the phonebook, since they want customers to turn up rather than talk to people on the phone!

Cheers.