Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dealer Pulling A Fast One

Hi Guys

I'm new to this site but find it really useful. I was hoping someone out there can help me. I recently bought an IS200 SE that still has 16 months manufactrers warranty. Recently I noticed the headlights had loads of surface cracks on them so I thought i'll take it to the dealer to get it sorted. The guy at the dealer tells me that this has been caused by the car being in an oven (body shop) it looks like they have been caused by heat causing th elenses to crack. Now I know this is not the case but he ai'nt listening. Called lexus GB who have asked me to take photos and send it to them. They will then decide what action to take. Has any one come across this problem before or can anybody give me any advise on how to proceed.

your help will be appreciated

Thanxs

OMB

mine has been in ovens before ,no damage to lights,thats got to be a load of bull,how can a car be manufactured in such a way that the lights crack in an oven,must have been in a microwave ;) if that is the case then the back lights would have cracked,correct.

Not in a position to give a physics lesson Besty but I can confirm that I have seen this on 2 occasions.

You know how hot these ovens can get, having been partially cooked yourself ;)

i know they get hot ian but on some hot days in this country and others the temp and direct sunlight would be much hotter than an oven,im not convinced for the lad whoes lex it is,i wouldnt be happy myself,like i said the back lights should have cracked,but thats my opinion,

mine has been in ovens before ,no damage to lights,thats got to be a load of bull,how can a car be manufactured in such a way that the lights crack in an oven,must have been in a microwave ;) if that is the case then the back lights would have cracked,correct.

:hehe:

Please, lets see someone microwave their car

Cheers for all your replies.

I agree with besty, if the car was put in an oven then surely if it was hot enough to crack the headlights, i would surely see some sort of problem with the other lights (there all perfect) i'll send them pictures of all the lights to prove the point. One thing I have relaised from all your responses is that it will be hard to prove that the car has not been in an oven even though I know it has not. The cars last service had a tick against good for headlights, so what ever has happened to the lights has happened in the last year.

thanxs for all the feedback

OMB

One thing I have relaised from all your responses is that it will be hard to prove that the car has not been in an oven even though I know it has not

It should be possible to tell if the car has had any extra paint or not.

I agree with Colin, it is possible to tell if a body panel has been repainted. A digital guage can be used to measure the thickness of the paint. As one was used on the bonnet of my car when I queried the quality of the finish when compared to the rest of the car. Ask your dealer about this, this was done to my IS when I made a warranty claim.

• 1 month later...

It's been some time since I first posted this and I am glad to say that after a few photos and wrangling, Lexus have admitted they might have jumped the gun a bit and have agreed to replace the lights. :D

I would like to thank all the help I got from this post, especially the advise about the paint gauge. Once I mentioned this ( and the fact that I am a memebr of the LOC) they seemed to change there tune very quickly. They didn't even bother to check the paint and just agreed to change the lights.

I was however less then impressed with the lexus dealer, every time I wanted to get something sorted I had to call Lexus GB directly, the dealer had the customer services of a traffic warden trying to meet his quota. I certainly will not be going to them for any servicing ect..

I will post on the dealer review in more detail.

Any way thanxs for the advise my lexus will once again be faultless, and I will stop getting annoying people asking "whats happend to your lights" :shutit:

OMB

I was however less then impressed with the lexus dealer, every time I wanted to get something sorted I had to call Lexus GB directly

Sadly, this seems to be getting more and more common. I wonder how long Lexus GB are going to let things slip with the dealers before they do something about it.

small cracks in plastic headlamp lenses can be caused by overtemp/pressure washers.....a friend had his Honda civic lights cracked in this way.....be warned of other people cleaning YOUR car!!