Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Alloy Corrosion

It seems that the corrosion has finally got to my wheels. The dealer has agreed to replace them though, so no problem there.

The only thing I wanted to know, is if anyone has managed to upgrade their alloys using this by paying the difference, or anything like that. They said they weren't able to do it because they send these wheels back to lexus, and they send a new set back.

I'm hoping that someone must have managed to do it :winky:

I don't believe they look exactly the same, I think that when they refurb them all the nice shiny faces(I don't know how to describe this) are not the same, I'm sure Scorpion was on about this once in a post, but one thing is that they will last a lot longer!

I take it then that when they refurb them, they don't diamond cut the edges again - that's a little annoying, because they look great at night. That leaves either keeping the old corroding ones, refurbish them myself (at a cost), or take the free inferior ones :blink:

great! ;)

To be honest mate I've seen some very good refurbs - mine are ******* (not refurbed they were just painted) but the ones done by the official company (Prestige / Pristine - can never remember which one) are fantastic. Yes they're not as sharp on the edges but then again they last longer.

I'd take a set of proper refurbs anyday.

hi ive got a set of 18inch that came with s/kit thay are going back to lexus stockport on 18th to have 2 new (new alloys ) and new front bumper as the car is only 12 mths old (7,000mls ) front bumper paint coming off.not any problem as lexus know about these problems.

Dealer will obtain FIVE refurb wheels from Pristine or similar.

Swap tyres to refurbed wheels and send old ones back.

The refurb ones have ...

backface machined smoother - ie not ridged as they are originally.

sharp edges smoothed off on backs of spokes etc.

Re-machined fronts again with sharp edges smoothed.

Coated in lots of lots of shiny smooth lacquer.

Much easier to keep clean - and don't rip your hands apart doing so.

Personally, offered the choice, I'd take the refurbs over new ones.

I'd choose the refurbs over the originals any day. I've had two sets now (different IS) and they look better (IMO) and are very easy to keep clean. I prefer the rounder edges.

I wonder if you can specify refurbs when you order a new IS :lol::lol:

Slightly :offtopic: but not worthy of starting a new one just for this -

Does anyone know how I can get one of the plastic cosmetic push fit locking wheel nut covers for the standard IS SE 2001 alloys.

It's probably worth about 10p and apart from buying another set of complete locking nuts I can't see how I can get one ?

Well they are meant to have covers.

Mine sound different to yours - my locking nut has small round plug holes rather than a wavy pattern.

The Lexus / Toyota locking nuts are rebranded 'Trilocks'

The design has changed relatively recently.

Earlier type have 3 holes in the nut or bolt head with matching prongs in the key.

Oh and a cover to make it look like the rest of the nuts / bolts.

Later type have a wavy trench in the nut or bolt head, again with a matching key.

No covers on these.

Design change probably because any competent thief has a universal '3 prong' key these days.

Not that you need one - pretty easy to get off anyway.

Earlier type have 3 holes in the nut or bolt head with matching prongs in the key.

Oh and a cover to make it look like the rest of the nuts / bolts.

Later type have a wavy trench in the nut or bolt head, again with a matching key.

No covers on these..

Right - thanks Tony.

Mine are the 3 hole type - anyone got a spare cover or know where to get one ?

ok, so the refurbs are the same as the originals, just lacquered more, thats fine then, i'll just take them

so i guess no ones had any luck with using this to upgrade to 18s or anything by paying the difference? When i spoke to Lexus GB, they said it was nothing to do with them, and if the dealer wishes to do so, they can.

So some dealer must've been happy to do this? :winky:

Mine are the 3 hole type - anyone got a spare cover or know where to get one ?

Fired an e mail of to my local friendly dealer not expecting to hear anything really -wrote back next day and has posted a cap to me 1st class. Should be here tomorrow.

Good stuff.