Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx8 Or Is200

I must be about the only person who doesn't actually like the look of the RX-8. I think it looks like a Mazda 6 on steroids.

I don't either.

I do like the 350Z. The Crossfire may look ok but it's meant to be very nasty to drive.

I had an MX6 for a while, very under-rated car (possibly because it had so much in common with the Ford Probe). I think the MX6 and IS200 are similar in some respects - nice motorway cruisers, well equiped, good looking, big engines (MX-6 has a 2.5l V6), a bit on the thirsty side, etc.

yep it was thirsty i remeber that but a very underated car ,2.5 v6 was one of the smoothest i have had just let down by the auto box ,manual version was nice though and still looks good now ,

I must be about the only person who doesn't actually like the look of the RX-8. I think it looks like a Mazda 6 on steroids.

Have you seen it in real life, not just on pictures? I think it looks very slim/athletic, and not musclebound or on steroids.... More graceful than the stocky 350Z, oh well tastes differ...

It's one advantage of the small rotary engine. Low bonnet and low center of gravity.

RX-Men-8

Strange question really. Do you want a 4 door compact exec saloon or a hot sports coupe? If I was after the latter, the RX 8 would be on (and possibly at the top of) my shortlist. The fact that it offers some rear seats and doors would be a big bonus and the rotary engine would make it interestingly 'different'. My wife fancies the RX8 too, which is probably a good reason never to get one.

I quite like the look of the 350Z, but if it is too noisy inside for Clarkson it would probably be too noisy for me. I like quiet, classy cars, and would quite fancy the new electric hybrid version of the Lexus RX300 if I could afford one (which I can't)-or even a LS430 (which I most certainly can't).

I do agree with those who have admired the looks of the old Mazda MX 6. Never been in one though.

Ah yes, but for the cost of the SC you might as well go for a 300, and not have the pain of the yearly insurance "any modifications" question :blink:

But if you do decide to mod the 300

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r: :winky: :whistling:

Just wish you could get a manual one though!

Have you seen it in real life, not just on pictures?

That's actually another thing! - I've seen plenty. Up here they appear to be too common (in a popular sense). So that can only affect future residual values. Are there any waiting lists for the RX-8? I've been quoted 6 months if I want a 350Z.

When I was looking for a new 'sensible' car I felt obliged, already being a rotary owner, to test drive the rx-8, loved it but decided it was not practical enough, too thirsty, hence my IS200. I read of the low torque of the RX-8 but my driving experience was that performance is in a different league to an IS200 and the Hipower model was very quick. The RX-8 rear seats are usable for adults, I'm 6 foot and sit comfortably, it did feel low and slightly claustrophobic but there was sufficient head and legroom.

I also owned an MX-6 for 4 years, 60,000 miles. The only problem I had was a fault with the boot lock. Front wheel drive but nevertheless a good handling car that I really enjoyed driving. I agree MX-6 is an underrated car.

You want sensible: IS200

Fun & sporty: RX-8

Take your pick

Kevin

Hmmm....

If I had to have one for 1 week only, then RX-8. Fun, fun, fun.

.......However, to live with day in day out, week after week, then the IS200-definately.

With the price of fuel rising as it is, I may chop my IS in for a Fabia Diesel. :o ....well, maybe next year. :D

Cheers

Lofty.

I have had this dilema, and agree with Bobski.

I looked at the Mazda, but have placed my order for nice shiny black IS300. Should be picking it up at the end of the month. :)

Not being the most mechanically minded person, I look for the simple things in life so here are some reasons for buying a 300:

There seem to be a lot of RX8s around

I dont see many IS200 (and even fewer 300s)

I dont like the suicide doors

So there you have it, my hardly scientific answer to the question...only 11 more days to go and I will let you know what I think of the 300 (although I guess most of you already know).

well as i started this topic off thought id follow it up after having my test drive today

first off the rx8 looks stunning!

build quality also looks good, tight even panel joins etc, no rattles , good paint

driving position is also excellent and well adjustable including lumbar,sadly missing on IS.

inside car also feels special as outside and well laid out, although some of you may dislike the suicide doors they are very handy and aid access greatly

then theres the price, just over £20k for an individual looking sports car with great performance( oh yes it does go..) and handles superbly

to be honest if i owned a BMW coupe ( which i have)id have been reaching for my cheque book today

trouble is i own a lexus so the decision is that much harder

also i have a problem with returning to a stick shift especially as every other market except uk can get auto with steering wheel paddles

further info:

waiting time is still 3 months

also got dissapointing px price, dealer showed me book and IS is dropping fast last couple of months, dont know why?

offered £13000 FOR 51 plate se auto 14000 miles mint condition

Thought I was weird when I was looking at the RX8 to swap for my IS200 but looks like I was in good company.

Very, very tempted with performance and price (and a cancelled order made one available within a month) but practicality won the day and the IS300 Sportcross I took delivery of last week is splendid. Nearly matches the performance of the 195bhp mazda with the advantage of an auto box. Plenty of room to take the rubish to the dump and all the toys I could wish for. :D :D :D

I test drove both the IS200 and the RX-8 when looking to replace my Evo 6 and eventually went for the Lexus, mainly on grounds of practicality, although I did also get a better deal on the trade-in.

In my opinion, the RX-8 looks and drives great and sounds wonderful when wound up but it is thirsty and it does use oil. I may be getting lazy in my old age but the idea of having to check the awkwardly located dipstick every second fill up (unless you want to risk knackered rotor tips) is a real pain!

I've now had the Lexus since December 2003 and I have to say that I like it more and more as the months pass. Definitely the right choice for me...........

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links