Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx8 Or Is200

RX8 anyday !!! But beware there have been reports of them popping there engines .

AFAIK that problem only affected the older generation of the ****el :whistling: engine (in the RX7). The engine in the RX8 is supposed to be trouble free... but maybe it's a bit too early to say for sure.

It's difficult to compare the two but I'd prefer an RX8 just because they look nice - possibly my next car when I get tired of my IS200.

Performance on the RX8 is supposed to take a bit of getting used to due to the high revving (but driving a car isn't just about the 0-60 anyway).

I asked the same Q a few months back. The RX8 looks ACE! But I can't get the kids in the back. Also heard from people who do have kids the suicide doors can be tricky when trying to get them in.

Performance on the RX8 is supposed to take a bit of getting used to due to the high revving (but driving a car isn't just about the 0-60 anyway).

The high revving sounds like what you have to do to the IS - mind you I guess we don't get 13k RPM - is that what these ****el's go up to?

Certainly worth consideration. Fuel consumption not very good, oil consumption poor ( top up every week ) & it's difficult to get to the dipstick :(

But it looks brilliant, colour choice is the only problem IMHO. Surely it has to be red.

I'm waiting to see what my IS comes back after 2 weeks in the paint oven, then I may well take a test drive myself.

I've test driven a Rx8, my boss was going to get one and I managed to get in there for a bit... Nice car, but there was something about it that I didn't like.. Maybe its trying to hard..

Now the Nissan I love that one, but never been in it. Why not just wait a year to see what comes out of Lexus? :winky:

I've heard that the RX-8 engine cannot be started and shutdown without it reaching it's optimum running temperature - makes poping down to the shops for a loaf a bit tricky.

I've got a test drive booked for Thursday in the 350Z - I'll let you know what I think! I did sit in it on Sunday and was allowed to start her up. That engine has such a nice throaty sound.

NB: The 350Z uses the VQ35 engine, which is a Nissan engine - not Renault. Check out 350zuk.com for confirmation of this. This engine has also been used in Renaults off the wall products like the Vel Satis but is de-tuned somewhat.

I had firmly set my mind on the S2000 but after seeing a number of 350Z in Houston a couple of weeks ago - I'm now undecided. So hopefully Test Drives will help me decide.

The RX

Needs an oil check every 2 fuel fills, which by sounds of it is once a week. I hear it drinks oil due to the engine type, and is incredibly poor mpg wise.

The Nissan 350z................LOVE IT.....not heard anything bad about it.

Another note..........saw a crossfire out today, and gotta say i actually quite liked it in the flesh.

to me the RX-8, 350Z, they are fun cars, not a family car, but if i have the money to spare, i wouldnt mind either of them, it will be fun..........that all...so get it only if it suit your need............ :) :) :) :) :)

At the end of the day, if your worried about performance buy a motorbike! My blade does 0-60 in less than 3 seconds, 90MPH in 1st gear and roughly 180MPH top end.... :winky:

As for the RX8, they look ok, looks a bit like the bat mobile, not very roomy at all tho. Being a Mazda bound to be expensive (like the Lexus) on servicing and parts. Its not been out long enough to decide, give it a year or two.

I have heard a few BAD reports about the 350Z. One being from a guy at work (his dad is a mechanic), something to do with the transmisson, goes wrong quite regularly. I found this link on a web site, guy is pretty angry (dont blame him) he says about having owned other cars (including an IS) which he has no problems at all! http://www.nissanforums.com/showthread.php?t=29462

Look at it this way, if you went to a wife swapping party, chucked your keys in the middle, what key they gonna pick first? Nissan, Mazda or Lexus... :zee:

a madza... nissan... not quite as bling as a LEXUS is it? ok might be faster :lol:

350z looks and sounds like a nice car, but it prefer the Infiniti G35 Coupe version, and the mazda like someone said looks like its trying too hard :blink:

Any not consider supercharging and tuning your IS instead of splashing out on getting a mazda?

Of course I'd have to reply to this ;) I'll try to sound as unbiased as I can.

I test drove the high powered version (231hp in NL) with the 6 speed box.

1 - Looks (above all, it looks stunning, sleek and slender)

2 - Very constant power delivery (makes the car feel less fast than it actually is, no torque peaks), low down torque better than IS200 (duh).

3 - Very nice handling with- amazingly - a lot of comfort.

4 - As quiet as an IS, not noisy at all

5 - Very nice gearbox, like the MX-5. Feels more direct than the IS box, although they seem to be from the same manufacturer (Aisin Warner)

6 - Very nice interior, nice rotary engine references.

7 - Usable backseat if you're under 5 feet tall, and reasonable boot space

8 - Good value for money!

Dislikes:

1 - More body flex than the IS (which is very rigid), must have something to do with the absence of the B-Pillars.

2 - Fuel consumption, somewhere between old RX-7 and piston engine. Better but still a drinker.

3 - Oil: every start little pumps squirt oil on the rotor for initial lubrication. Start the car, move it down the driveway, stop it, start it again etc.. and the spark plugs will be greasy. So, let it run for a few minutes. Car magazine testers have experienced this when making a photo shoot.

4 - Boot space okay, but the hatch is very small (like with the IS).

Driving it is a real experience, the starter alone is something else. No piston compression, so you actually find it ruins before you know it.

Haven't driven the 350Z, but that one is a real 2-seater, with a big tower brace in the boot.

Cheers,

RX-Men-8

I must be about the only person who doesn't actually like the look of the RX-8. I think it looks like a Mazda 6 on steroids.

As for that Chrysler Crossfire thingy - saw my first one the other day and in the flesh it looks even more odd at the back. Definetely a dog taking a ****. And being US, it's probably going to bounce along the freeway, sorry motorway.

The 350Z is a loovely looking motor UNTIL you take a close look at the paint work....

Look at the bonnet and see how DULL it is....

Sorry but for a car THAT expensive i would expect all the paint tey can muster...

I thought it was bad enough that Lexus don`t paint the inside of the engine bay and boot floor etc... but at least it won`t really be noticed there...

RX-8 very nice, but in my opinion impracticle... wait until a few years down the line and it comes to buying a used one.... how you gonna know that the person your buying it from aint neglected the VERY REGULAR oil top ups??

Lets face it not everyone that owns a car checks the oil every week do they? and by the sounds of it, this would be imperitive on the RX-8

STICK WITH THE LEX MATE!!

I like the look of the RX-8 and prefer it to the nissan style wise but would think the nissan a better buy for resale value in years to come ,have a feeling people will still be weary of the engine's of past and steer clear ,I was always a fan of the MX-6 and although it never had the ****el engine i thought the styling was very modern for it's time ,had three of them and only problems were the auto boxes .As for the crossfire they do look nice but its a chrysler so enough said :sick: