Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200 Superchip?

bodders

Alright Guys;

I havnt actually got a IS200 yet but am trying to find a black sport model to buy in around 2-3 monts time (18th Bday!!!!), after test driving one at my local dealer I fell in love.

Does NE1 know whether it is possible to get a superchip for the IS200 and how much roughly it will cost, power gains etc???

Cheers Lads

Alright Guys;

I havnt actually got a IS200 yet but am trying to find a black sport model to buy in around 2-3 monts time (18th Bday!!!!), after test driving one at my local dealer I fell in love.

Does NE1 know whether it is possible to get a superchip for the IS200 and how much roughly it will cost, power gains etc???

Cheers Lads

you can get a unichip,i think they are around 500 quid,gains around 8-10 break. :)

why dont u want the car to sound any different? standard IS exhausts are far too quiet!

welcome to the club by the way mate! :D

I know IS exhausts are reportedly quiet, but the problem is I am only 18 and insurance is pretty tough for me you see and I recon that if i stick a full sports exhaust and induction kit on the car then they may just take all the money i have!! Thats why i was looking at the ECU as in some cases they are almost untraceable.

Welcome to LOC fella, if you don't want to sound different one of the members on here, n30jjb, has an HKS Silent Hiper which is going up for sale soon, and offers a performance increase and slightly deeper tone but at the same volume as the standard box. Might be the kind of thing you're looking for?

Might be worth swapping the panel filter for another one such as the K&N which TDI sell, from what I've read on here it slightly changes the induction note for the better.

Plus you're not physically changing anything.

As for cost, it's probably worth speaking to your insurers.

Put it this way, I'm 26 & with Direct Line.

Insurance without any mods was 585.

With tinted windows, an HKS Hiper exhaust and a TTE supercharger this goes up by nearly £300.

I then asked what difference the following mods would make:

Anti Roll Bars

Chassis Braces

Induction Kit

Side Skirts

Front Lip

Lowered

For all of the items above they wanted another £280ish.

Guess it all depends on the actual mod.

Right cool bud uve been a real help thanks.

Just wondering though what the performance of the is200 is like really as ive only tested it in a town. COuld NE1 give me some general overview of the car and what its like to own one, what other people think etc...

They come to life on a motorway mate, if you get up to just over 4000rpm things get much better. Cruising is pretty effortless on and she just glides along.

Handling on all roads is great but she gets unsettled when there are a lot of pot holes on a rough road for example.

You'll probably find yourself changing gears all the time when town driving - I had an auto for a day and that was much nicer for town driving but I prefer manuals to be honest as they can be more fun when you're stirring the box (and you also get to choose when the gear changes are made!)

The supercharger transforms the car, makes her quicker in the 0-60 sprint, drastically quicker at the top end and improves torque across the range - for example, mine doesn't like being in 6th gear at lower revs as the car starts to shake but an sc'd one I've been in was much better and it was as if we were in 4th instead of 6th.

The IS200 is the quickest car I've had yet, but they can be regarded as slow. To be honest mate if it comes down to the 0-60 sprint that interests you then you'll be disappointed with the IS as she isn't the quickest, but she's very nice at speeds of 60+.

I've started dabbling with mine and it will be much nicer when she's done :winky:

Thanks fella - wish mine was as quick as yours :whistling:

Tell you what mate, I didn't notice the Hiper infringing on the motorway - maybe I'm just going deaf but she just sounded sweet!!!

You can't have been trying hard enough then Chris :P

You do realise in a months time now you've told me this I'm going to be driving round at all hours to see if I can manage to do the same when all the mods are on!!!

My neighbours are gonna hate me and I'll just say - "It's Chris' fault - he told me to do it" :winky:

BTW Bodders, are you going to have a word with the insurance company to see what they say about these mods? Like you say they're gonna fleece you because of your age but it's possible they may even refuse to insure you if you have certain mods - I know Direct Line asked me if I was over 25 when I asked them to quote me on the compressor, tints & exhaust.

I have thought about insurance greatly. And yeah i suppose they may not even insure me if i have any mods at all. Put it this wa my mate has a 1.1 peugeot 106 and a few mods have nearly doubled his premium!

Would you suggest that i should go for the sport model or the SE model is200, as i cant see that there are that many differences apart from the one insurance group (not much difference in quotes).

Aleso the supercharger does sound like a good idea, but the only one i can fins is around £4K, (bit too much for my budget)

'sup. I am 20 with 3 years no claims and insurance for me on the IS200 SE which I bought yesterday is £1400 (with Direct Line), so *** knows what you're paying!

Regarding SE vs. Sport, the only real difference is that the sport has a differential on it. I would suggest (as I've just bought one) that you save yourself the extra cash which the sport costs and get an SE.

With regards to mods I suggest that you live with the car for a bit and see how it suits you before rushing into anything. My experience is (being young also) that most insurance companies won't touch a young driver who has done any mods.

Finally, out of interest - what are you getting quoted on insurance and who with?

Right cool thanks.

Well insurance wise i am getting quoted around £3000 for fully comp insurance. But cuz both my parents will drive it some times as well I can be a named driver on their insurance and so the total cost is around £1300 from tesco.com. I would give them a try tho with regards to insurance they are damn good as are norwich union who i have insurance witht o drive my dads E240 Merc which is in group 16! Also check out the autotrader insurance finder service which is pretty good, but cuz I am a young driver I dont get many quotes. So does the SE spec car have leather and the cd changer for example??

Cheers for the insurance stuff. Tesco's wanted about £10 more than Direct line when I tried them a week ago (Strange because Tesco insurance is provided by Direct Line!).

The SE does have the Leather and the CD, it just doesn't have the Tints and alloy scuff plates etc.

However, mine has the optional styling kit so it's PIMPed!