Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Do Mods Affect Your Insurance?

Greybeard, your clear indicator lenses look cool, and very contemporary.

If you change those from OEM orange, are you obliged to tell insurance. Essentially, if an accident occurred, could they invalidate the claim by saying, oh, the indicators are not OEM spec and less visible to other drivers whilst turning (etc etc).

Cheers.

P.S Ever found the clear versions of side indicators?

I'm planning on fitting PIAA Extreme White bulbs as soon as I get my car back. Feedback from the US highlights how much more visibility of the road you get with those bulbs when comparing with factory spec, since Mk1 lights are really weak.

If you are worried about clear indicators then I guess you wouldn't want to install illegal PIAA bulbs?

That's not exactly a helpful answer :lol:

Anyway, the PIAA bulbs are the same wattage as factory spec, and they are not blue or purple in colour so why are they illegal?

That's not exactly a helpful answer 

Anyway, the PIAA bulbs are the same wattage as factory spec, and they are not blue or purple in colour so why are they illegal?

Well I think it was helpful because it seems you were unaware they the bulbs you were considering are illegal for on road use. They are illegal because they are not EU approved and PIAA will tell you they are for off-road use only.

You should tell you insurance company about any mods. They then decide if anything needs to be done or not.

They are illegal because they are not EU approved and PIAA will tell you they are for off-road use only.

Just checked with PIAA, and they inform me that Platinum White, Extreme White Plus are E-marked and legal for road use. Unfortunately, you can't get dipped beam bulbs for LS400s from PIAA, but you can for GS300s! I got confused with the US PIAA bulbs which are available in dipped beam for LS400s, but then those would not be E-marked, and thus, illegal.